Advice please stepchange closed my account

Hi sorry I'm not going to Womble on but I've been in a bad situation and ignored telephone calls and missed a couple of payments to stepchange march was -£50 in it should of been £257 and June's was paid but they returned my money and I tried repaying but stepchange texted me yesterday to cancel my standing order with them as they have closed my account ..But haven't sent the £257 back as yet and that was repaid in June 10th
Is they any help on this as I was not able to phone stepchange today I just don't no what to do

Comments

• dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Breathe and have a cup of tea firstly.
    It could be something simple like your payment was under and they couldn't get hold of you so cancelled your plan. You might find if you give them a ring you can straighten it all out.
    Failing that you can get help from Christians against poverty, your local cab or national debtline. You could even consider running a plan yourself. It's pretty simple, you write to your creditors let them know what's going on and arrange for payments to go out. Depending on how long you've been on the plan the creditors probably won't notice much difference between stepchange paying them and you paying them. As long as they continue to get paid regularly without stops and starts and missed payments they probably won't care. C
    I'm not sure why your payment was short but you might need to think about it so you can figure out how to prevent problems in future. Perhaps you could have used your emergency fund? Nay e your emergency fund wasn't enough and you need to put slightly more aside for emergencies? Maybe your budget is too tight and it needs reviewing? Maybe just getting in touch with stepchange to let them know x,y,z had happened and you couldn't pay the full amount this month would have helped. Anywat I know it's easier said than done a d always cometely obvious after the fact but obviously if you can make any little changes to stop things going wrong in future it will help.
    Hope you get things restarted with stepchange but if not there's plenty of alternatives. ( if you do need to look at alternatives make sure you choose a charity or similar from martins list and don't go for a rip off company)/
    Df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Hi chish

Sorry to hear things are a bit problematic. As DF suggests, try contacting SC to see if they'll reconsider, I think they are under pressure with a lot of people in debt and so if SC feel someone isn't 'engaging' overused word but can't think of another, they'll switch you off so to speak.

I know it's not easy to contact them, and maybe for that reason might be better to go to one of the others DF suggests.

Wonder if we can help out at all with what is going wrong for you, is it unavoidable spends, under earning or something else ? The DMP mutual support thread does exactly that, and there is loads of knowledge and support if anyone runs into troubles of any sort with DMP. Come and join us, we don't judge.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Ben75
    Ben75 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi

When I first went into a DMP I did it via Stepchange but then lost my job so had to do it myself, and have been doing so ever since.

Here's what I suggest:
    - review your budget, work out what you can reasonably afford to pay after all your living expenses and divide it up between your creditors pro rata to debt level. If £257 isn't affordable for you then reduce it to give some resilience in your budget
    - write to each of them with a copy of the budget and an offer of payment, insist everything should be in writing. ask for bank account details
    - once received, set up standing orders with the payments as agreed.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I agree that it's a good idea to discuss this situation with Stepchange initially, just to see whether there is any chance they can use discretion and keep your DMP running. Otherwise you can self-negotiate as suggested.

There are sample letters and budget templates on our website that you can use to self-negotiate:
    www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/default.aspx

I also agree that you should take this opportunity to go through your budget again and make sure it’s realistic and sustainable.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • chish
    chish Posts: 50 Forumite
    Hi I have just got home from work and stepchange have sent a cheque back to me with the £257 in, I cannot understand why they didn't put it back in my bank . I get home from too late to ring them as they close at 6 but I will phone them in the morning to discuss things stating why I missed a payment and not paid enough the month before .. Hoping they will reconsider opening my plan .. but I don't hold up much help .
    would stepchange be able to give my creditors account numbers and balances and I wil seriously think of doing a self Dmp
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chish wrote: »
    would stepchange be able to give my creditors account numbers and balances and I wil seriously think of doing a self Dmp

They should be able to give you those details. It's your information after all.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • chish
    chish Posts: 50 Forumite
    Hi all just to confirm I have spoken to stepchange and they have revised my budget and I'm back in on a Dmp all being well the creditors agree
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure