how many people know about your debts?

jan875
jan875 Posts: 34 Forumite
edited 15 June 2016 at 10:07AM in Debt-free wannabe
How many people know about your debts? At the moment it's just me, my partner and a close friend ( the friend doesn't know the actual figure)

Are you open about it to your friends and family or do you keep it under wraps?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Originally it was just myself and my husband. Now family and friends know - but this is only a very recent thing. They know we are working hard to clear the debts, but don't know how we are doing, ie they don't know we couldn't meet required payments and had to go on a DMP. It takes the pressure of expectations for going out for meals/events, giving gifts, donating to collections etc. etc. It wasn't easy to tell people but now it's done, for us it's a relief but I appreciate everyone is different and others may prefer to keep it under wraps.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • We haven't discussed our debt or any part of our finances with anyone. I read a few money saving blogs by American bloggers and it comes across as quite normal to share such information across the pond, but I think we're more private in the UK. So, it'll be interesting to see how many folks on here do discuss their debt with others. Actually, I find we don't need to make excuses for not doing expensive activities as people are good at making assumptions. I'm a stay at home mum and there's always someone telling me 'oh, you won't be able to afford that' or just not asking us to do something because we live off my husband's income and a small amount I make from part time freelancing from home. Seems not to be the norm to be a one income family and folks don't seem to think it can work anymore, but we are thriving despite aggressively tackling our debt. Good question BTW.
  • Only myself and my husband know, I really do not want people to know as I feel really embarrassed by it, silly I know. As we have made great progress since entering a DMP, and now have savings and will be debt free in the future.
    LBM April 2012, started Dmp with Stepchange June 2012 £47k:eek: Proud to finally be dealing with our debts:)
    Nov 18 3 more payments to DFD
    Dec 18 2 more payments to DFD
    Jan 19 1 more payment to DFD
    Feb 19 Last Payment now debt free :)
  • timefortea
    timefortea Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I told my mum that I had been in debt and how much after I cleared it, but didn't tell anyone while I was still in debt. I just didn't want to have the awkward conversation. I told people I was saving for a house deposit (which I was also doing alongside paying my debt, towards the end) if I needed an excuse for not having much disposable income.

I think we would all be surprised by who is in debt, if we knew what's really going on in other people's bank accounts, rather than just looking at the material things they have. I've come to realise that someone at work who I thought was loaded has a fancy car on finance, and a fancy house with a big mortgage.
  • LJB290
    LJB290 Posts: 106 Forumite
    We've shared a little wider; My husband and I told his mother and his brother was kind of involved in the debt situation.
    We have also been open with our children (20 & 16) because we really want them to understand how it happened, what the consequences are and how we are trying to resolve it as well as teach them how to manage their own finances.

I absolutely wouldn't tell my parents - they would be horrified, disappointed and it would worry my mother so much that she would make herself ill (and I would then get the blame for that).

I don't think it's anyone elses business and I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was telling them because I was looking for a hand-out etc.
  • phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A few know but not the extent of the debt. Work colleagues are worst and at work I have had issues with dress code when I have been unable to pay for new shoes/suits. They openly laugh at my car but this is because they don't know and just think I'm a bit alternative :p I don't resent them for it and am happy to laugh along. I would never tell them as I think they would feel bad about their own banter re the car, the shoes and the repeated declining of meals, parties and weekends away. What I do wish I could do is sponsor them when they do fun runs and stuff. That does feel mean tbh :( Sometimes I use some of the entertainment fund to sponsor them small amounts. I have told family we are paying back debt but not how much or DMP.
    DMP since August 2011
    DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
    Debt at start: £98769:eek:
    Debt now: £24993:o
    Paid back: £73776 :j
    Taking it one day at a time:T
  • Haribo1
    Haribo1 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My husband, the inlaws, my brother and my sister. My in laws know as they tend to chuck us a few quid when they know we are stuck but we never ask. I told my brother as he was having a bad time at work and we were sharing problems at the time and I told my sister as she was in a worse situation than me and had her house repossessed so I offered her some advice that I'd got from cab.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Interesting topic. I'd be surprised if Americans are that open about it though.

Found out about my parent's debt (£60-70k) when I was about 14. Was a bit awkward being quiet when the door was knocked (until seeing in the peep hole) but otherwise OK. Never had a bailiff enter and presumably those debts can't be collected any more with that being 13 years ago.

My sister takes a similar approach to them, ignores it & lets it build up and only then does she mention it. At least 2 times now she's had unauthorised overdraft charges before seeking help
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • KirstyO
    KirstyO Posts: 287 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    While I was in debt I only shared with a few people, my boyfriend at the time, my housemate at the time, my Mum. Since I've been debt free I've been more open as I want to be able to help people who are in a situation similar to the one I was in.
    Debt free on 2nd January 2015
    Next savings goals:
    £5k emergency fund
    £4k holiday of a lifetime fund
  • Interesting thread! This has been on my mind for a while. I'm on a DMP (approx £6k paid off so far, £14k to go & another 3-4 years). Initially I only told my boyfriend (who I now live with) and one close friend who helped me organise the DMP when I was first struggling.

However, recently I've been wondering if I should tell my parents too, mainly sparked by the fact that they pumped £2k into my bank account last month to pay off the only cc they know about in full (absolute heros). While this was a huge help & a massive weight off my mind, I quickly stated to feel guilty as they think I'm now debt free, which is very far from the truth! The reason I didn't tell them initially was because I knew they'd worry & wouldn't be able to help, so it would just cause more stress & worry & pain. Plus, I'm hugely embarrassed. Now though, I wonder if they could help & if not telling them would upset them if they ever do find out. I don't have kids yet, but I imagine if I did & they were in trouble I'd want to know.

I think I'm going to wait a year, until the debt is below £10k & then bring it up over a glass of wine with my mum. Dreading that conversation though! Xx
    LBM August 2013 - debt: £27,181
    May 2017 - debt: £8,208
    DFD - December 2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills