Options

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2012 at 12:24AM
    Options
    Excellent first post lally82.
    I did wonder why some items were only in stock intermittently, although with bike inner tubes @£1 I suppose they will always shift quickly. Do you think they would consider stocking 16" tubes for folders & kids' bikes? The only other national store you can get them in is Halfords (£4.99 :()
    googler wrote: »
    Because they require shielding, perhaps?
    Or maybe just to avoid coming into contact with each other?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Or maybe just to avoid coming into contact with each other?

That's what they have insulation, or dielectric, for.

Braiding, or braided conductor, is typically used around the outside of a signal cable to shield it from interference.
  • lally82
    Options
    Excellent first post lally82.
    I did wonder why some items were only in stock intermittently, although with bike inner tubes @£1 I suppose they will always shift quickly. Do you think they would consider stocking 16" tubes for folders & kids' bikes? The only other national store you can get them in is Halfords (£4.99 :()

Thanks Kernel Sanders. You should try asking the member of staff who's in charge of the carcare/biking section if they're available to be ordered although I suspect that like the cables they will come in an assorted box with the most popular sizes. Always worth asking though :)
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    lally82 wrote: »
    I worked in the Poundshop in Middlesbrough and was in charge of the Entertainment section where these are located. They are definitely a hot seller but the problem came when ordering them. They come in a box of 48 items - 12 scart leads, 12 scart extensions, 12 audio cables and 12 HDMI cables.
    Usually the HDMI cables sell out in a couple of days which leaves the store with 36 other cables. Until the other cables sell significantly there is no point in ordering a new box as the store would be left with boxes and boxes of scarts etc as you're just ordering for the HDMI cables. If the company could get hold of the HDMI cables in their own box im sure that every store would stock them.
    Chances are if you go into a store that doesn't have them but has scarts leads then they've sold out and will probably get them back in, in a couple of days or weeks.
    Hope this helps :)

Thanks for this Lally82, and welcome to the forum :)

MSE Becca
  • torphi
    torphi Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    HDMI cables use differential signals which means that there is a pair of equally spaced (usually twisted) insulated wires. The two AC signals on the wires should be exactly out of phase and exactly the same voltage levels. But nothing is perfect and it's impossible to get them exact. It depends on how good the twisting is and the length of the two wires and the spacing uniformity. Even bending (on a cheap cable) can effect the balance of the signals on the two wires and you get eye closure. The receiver however is smart enough to correct some of these imperfections.

In theory an interfering signal will couple equally into both of these wires and therefore should cancel out at the receiver by subtraction. In practice this doesn't happen completely and an additional screen helps to reduce the interfering signal before the differential receiver does its job.

A simple coax cable relies on the screen to remove all the interference as the signal is not differential and therefore the screen is critical to the performance. This is less true for HDMI but it is still important as the differential receiver is not a perfect.

Hopefully this helps explain why the cable quality is important and the purpose of the screen.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    torphi wrote: »
    <snip some accurate stuff>
    I congratulate you sir, on writing that whole screed without using the words like "balanced", or "twisted pair" or even "common mode rejection"

Dave
  • Stevesteg
    Options
    so HDMI leads for a pound seems like they do the job so who cares if the impedance is this or the drop out is that.
    its a HDMI lead it works and thats all that counts.
    buy them for a quid or go out a splash the cash on the "quality end" of these leads the choice is yours but for joe public these are the ones i would get.
    BARGAIN
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stevesteg wrote: »
    so HDMI leads for a pound seems like they do the job so who cares if the impedance is this or the drop out is that.

Sure, who cares if they spend £400 on an HD Blu-Ray, £1200 on an HD Screen, then get dropouts with the £1 HDMI lead.... it doesn't matter, does it?
  • jayme1
    jayme1 Posts: 2,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sure, who cares if they spend £400 on an HD Blu-Ray, £1200 on an HD Screen, then get dropouts with the £1 HDMI lead.... it doesn't matter, does it?

That just means you have a faulty HDMI cable, I have several cheap HDMI cables none have ever dropped out, none have any 'snow' artifacts and with articles proving that for a non-faulty HDMI cable the picture quality is exactly the same with cheap and expensive cables, you really have to question why anyone would ever spend money on an expensive HDMI cable.

I guess it's just like the expensive paracetamol/cheap paracetamol scenario they are both the exact same active ingredient but one has a fancy shape and fancy packaging and is not any better doing what it's designed to do.
  • awm49barhill
    Options
    Would you rather buy 13 Ladas, or one Rolls-Royce, when you can only drive one? I'd have the Rolls-Royce.

True but I drive a car, a HDMI cable sits at the back of the TV there is no prestige in it, if the Rolls Royce does not work it is expensive to repair or replace where a poundland lead will likely last as long as one 10 times as expensive and if faulty can be returned like most goods under the sale of goods act.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure