Refund of goods bought in Israel

Evening,
I bought something off Etsy for ~£2000 from Israel using Paypal. The price stated "VAT included (where applicable)". But VAT wasn't included and i had to pay a £400 customs charge.

There's no fault with it but it didn't live up to what I expected so I want to return it.

"We offer a 30-day return policy so our customers can purchase with confidence knowing they will have sufficient time to return goods if they are not completely satisfied. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return the item for a full refund less shipping and handling fees which are 15% of the total price you've paid."

15% amounts to £300 which seems a little steep for something they can resell.

Does anyone know if i'm covered by the Consumer Rights Act to get a refund for less of a charge?

Comments

• Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    No. Only applies within the UK. Check if you can get a refund of any VAT/customs charges you paid.
  • necronaut
    necronaut Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok, cheers
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you asked Etsy about this and particularly about the VAT charge?

There is a forum on their site as well - might be worth asking others about international returns on there

https://www.etsy.com/uk/forums

If you do decide to return it you need to check with HMRC about how to make the customs declaration and whether you would be able to reclaim the charges you have paid.

It's quite bold buying something so expensive via the internet - I don't think I'm as courageous as you are!
  • necronaut wrote: »
    I bought something off Etsy for ~£2000 from Israel using Paypal. The price stated "VAT included (where applicable)". But VAT wasn't included and i had to pay a £400 customs charge.
    Did the listing specifically state that UK VAT was included?
    If not, the seller may have been referring to VAT being paid in Israel.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Did the listing specifically state that UK VAT was included?
    If not, the seller may have been referring to VAT being paid in Israel.
    As far as I know VAT is only referred to as such within the EU, in Israel it would be "purchase tax" or something similar if it existed.

If this is a UK company selling and they have just shipped from Israel there may be an angle to get a refund there. Similarly if paid with credit card. It might be wise getting advice from Trading Standards where you can give them more details than you can give here.
    Your local council should have a TS office.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 12:22PM
    necronaut wrote: »
    Evening,
    I bought something off Etsy for ~£2000 from Israel using Paypal. The price stated "VAT included (where applicable)". But VAT wasn't included and i had to pay a £400 customs charge.....
    Did you pay a UK based company or an Israel based company?

Was that £400 import duty or some tax other than VAT?

When buying from overseas, the purchaser is responsible for any import duties, not the overseas seller.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    As far as I know VAT is only referred to as such within the EU, in Israel it would be "purchase tax" or something similar if it existed
    I checked before I posted earlier and the tax is referred to as VAT in Israel.
    http://www.israelishortcut.org/Services.aspx?l=2&c=3&id=79
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I checked before I posted earlier and the tax is referred to as VAT in Israel.
    http://www.israelishortcut.org/Services.aspx?l=2&c=3&id=79
    Well that's my clever moment of the day shot through:embarasse

It's about a hundred years since I had any dealings with anyone in Israel but I'm sure it used to be something else. You wouldn't think anyone would want to copy VAT would you?

I've a friend in the US who once asked why it was called "Value added tax" when there isn't any actual value added, it's just a tax.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As far as I know VAT is only referred to as such within the EU, in Israel it would be "purchase tax" or something similar if it existed.

see
    http://www.uscib.org/valueadded-taxes-vat-ud-1676/

( so Israel appers to have both a purchase tax and VAT )
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    ...I've a friend in the US who once asked why it was called "Value added tax" when there isn't any actual value added, it's just a tax.

Because it is a tax on the 'value added' to a product or service at each stage of manufacture or distribution etc.

If VAT is 20%:

A company buys raw materials for £100 plus (input) VAT = £120.

It sells the finished product for £200 + (output) VAT = £240.

It will pay on its VAT return to HM Customs and Excise.

£40 output VAT less £20 input VAT = £20.

So the net VAT is 20% or £20 of the 'Value Added' by that company in taking raw materials worth £100 to a finished product worth £200.

And so on up and down the chain of supply. VAT is levied on the 'Value Added' at each stage of the supply chain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure