Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi.
    Me here with many questions.
    Is there a template for reducing your payment for a short period? We've got some majoir stuff going on and reducing would help, as well as hopefully pushing through some defaults.
    Do I need to send an adjusted SOA with the letter and tell them why?
    Many thanks Ramble x
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    ramblehan wrote: »
    Hi.
    Me here with many questions.
    Is there a template for reducing your payment for a short period? We've got some majoir stuff going on and reducing would help, as well as hopefully pushing through some defaults.
    Do I need to send an adjusted SOA with the letter and tell them why?
    Many thanks Ramble x

Hi Ramble,

If self-managed, just write to them saying you have whatever unexoeceted expenses and they'll only be getting x amount. If with SC, call them so they can adjust the DD.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    angela1976 wrote: »
    Just checked our stepchange account and both our bc accounts are now showing with Link, not had any correspondence just keeping my fingers crossed they are OK to deal with. As everything has ran pretty smoothly for the last 2 years

Hi, one of my mbna went to link about 2 years ago, took about 8 weeks before. Got anything in writing, but the payments via SC all got credited. They send a statement every 6 months, that's all I hear from them. Think they asked me at the start if I wanted to stay with SC and offered to negotiate F&f if interested .

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2016 at 3:17PM
    Options
    No Sourcrates, they have not sent me a default notice nor any correspondence to say this was happening (I only know from checking my SC account). I asked the person on the phone at BC why they had sold on the debt but not defaulted me. His answer was that AR markers are better than defaults. When I explained the AR markers are damaging my credit file as they will remain there longer and a default would have been about to drop off, he still insisted an AR marker was better and tried to make out selling on the account is a good thing as we can settle at a reduced rate (I said I didn't want a partially settled marker on my credit file either).

Basically, I was getting nowhere on the phone so will pursue in writing and see if that works.

Thanks for your replies

Ellie x

You will find the call handlers at Barclaycard, or any other credit card company, will have little knowledge of the law surrounding such matters.
    It's the compliance depts job to make sure the company complies with legislation, but they don't always get it right, or they just make there own rules until someone takes them to task over it.

You could refuse to pay Link, and also tell them why you refuse to pay, it could result in the return of the account to BC, or they could choose to make a comercial decision and write off the debt, that is not guaranteed of course, but makes for an interesting situation.

The fact remains BC sold on a debt without first defaulting you, or providing you with written notice of the default or the sale.

Well into the territory of schoolboy errors.

This is what the law says :

...........................................................................................
    S.87 (1) of the CCA1974

S.87 Need for default notice
    (1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a) to terminate the agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum
    .............................................................................................

So, in order to sell on the debt, the original agreement must first be terminated.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there,

I just noticed this post so thought I might be able to put your mind at rest.

Quite often creditors pass debts on to collection agencies. If you’re on a plan with us then as long as we are aware who the debt is now with this shouldn’t cause any issues.

Collections agencies are usually quite accepting of a payment plan.

If you’ve any concerns you can always get in touch. Here are our contact details.

Thanks
    Rachael

angela1976 wrote: »
    Just checked our stepchange account and both our bc accounts are now showing with Link, not had any correspondence just keeping my fingers crossed they are OK to deal with. As everything has ran pretty smoothly for the last 2 years
  • deniseb90
    Options
    Hi,

After years of swapping debt from one credit card to another, and finally not being able to gain a 0% card (or a loan) I have signed up with StepChange and a DMP. I have 4 creditors, BC, Virgin, Next catalogue and Very. I am just scared of receiving threatening letters and calls - I am quite prepared to pay off my debt, it's my debt after all, but can't afford the crippling interest. It's something that I've been worrying about for ages and it's all come to a head what with my divorce and not getting regular overtime anymore at work.

I'm just very glad that I've found this thread as it has somewhat put my mind at rest - just hope I'm as strong as you guys!

Dx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    deniseb90 wrote: »
    Hi,

After years of swapping debt from one credit card to another, and finally not being able to gain a 0% card (or a loan) I have signed up with StepChange and a DMP. I have 4 creditors, BC, Virgin, Next catalogue and Very. I am just scared of receiving threatening letters and calls - I am quite prepared to pay off my debt, it's my debt after all, but can't afford the crippling interest. It's something that I've been worrying about for ages and it's all come to a head what with my divorce and not getting regular overtime anymore at work.

I'm just very glad that I've found this thread as it has somewhat put my mind at rest - just hope I'm as strong as you guys!

Dx

Hi,

I would not worry about letters and phone calls, each can be easily dealt with.
    Your creditors will encourage you to seek advice from one of the debt charities, as you are doing, so any letters telling you to pay up, will be automated, and can be safely filed in the recycle bin.

Any calls, you can either block there number, or just say your seeking advice from stepchange, and most call handlers will be happy with that.

Debt management is a tried and trusted method, which tens of thousands of people resort to every year, you are no different to them, and your case will not be treated any differently from theirs, so dont panic !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • deniseb90
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates! It's easy to become sucked in to the "oh I'll just swap it on to a 0% card" until the 0% cards run out and you get rejected a few times!

Again, thanks for the reassurance. dx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    deniseb90 wrote: »
    Hi,

Dx

:hello:denise. Welcome to the thread.

I really empathise with what you said as it's exactly how I felt when I started on my DMP. Like with you the day eventually came when all the juggling from card to card just stopped working and I'd run out of any means of more credit:eek:. I was absolutely desperate:o

I can honestly say that embarking on a DMP with StepChange was the best financial decision I ever made in my life:T. All of us on here have been/are still fighting our debts so please ask if there's ever anything that isn't clear or is worrying you. There's always someone who will have been through the same problem and will be more than happy to pass on the benefit of their experience:j

As for your closing comment that you hope you're as strong as us, I'm sure you will be. I don't know about anyone else but I expect we all started out on our DMP journey just as trepidatiously (is there such a word?) as you.

Onward and upward now, eh?:beer:
  • deniseb90
    Options
    Thanks Carbootcrazy! I'm just about to ring Very - they sent a letter asking me to contact them - let's see what happens! eek!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure