PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sorry to hear about your dog, Mavvy :(

Box of items delivered to CS today (mainly some unsold items from the NNS at the weekend + a couple of other items) along with a small bag of rags. Cheques posted out to all of the sellers at NNS (I'm treasurer), just leaving me the cash to bank which I will hopefully get done tomorrow :)

Some more paper stuff recycled, and that's about all I've achieved kondo wise :)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GQ, thanks for that post - I'd no idea of any of that :o though my Nan lived in council housing all her life, and only left it to go into (council) sheltered housing ... I was 300 miles away, a flibbertigibbet in my 20s enjoying the Lunnon scene ... I suppose nobody told me :o such things were "kept from us" in my family in those days.

Thanks also re the bonfire, lack of accelerant. I thought there'd be a pollution issue, but also thought I might be overthinking it. Drat that its mostly about it being dry! It rained for about 36 hours solidly over the weekend :( I've been cutting and chopping and taking the stuff into the front yard (which means launching it like spears over the broken garden gate, which can't be opened) and the pile is now about four feet high, four feet wide, and up to eight feet long. And I'd be really surprised if that was more than a quarter of it :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thank you everyone for your support :) I have been keeping myself so busy (mainly shopping):mad: and other things but I know I need to stop ! and its just all hit me at once.

But I will take it one day at a time and I will get there.

Lolly Lola and the kits are all doing well. 2 of the kittens have been spayed as I couldnt catch the others at the time :o Any other time I can stroke them but I am sure they knew something was up the day they were booked in. They keep me on my toes as they sit on the door step making such a row until I feed them ;) We are going to try and get the others in this week :D Might need a bit of luck and fingers crossed on that day.

I do think the others are Boys so the vets are happy to leave it another week or so just sheer luck I caught the 2 little girls on the first attempt.

Also the grown up (was baby) massive Rabbit still lives on the garden and think he/she is miles too big for the cats to tackle so they just ignore it totally :rotfl:and just pretend they dont see it. The Cats are also terrifed of the Witch of Eastwick (chicken) who chases them and steals their food if she gets a chance :rotfl:

Life goes on in this madhouse ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :kisses3: Mavvy, it sounds like all the animals might be a distraction, in a good way. It's lovely to hear about it.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mavvy Sorry to read about the loss of your beloved dog. :(

GQ I must commend you on the very comprehensive account of how local government financials work. :)
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • Mavvy, so sorry to hear it. Anyone who's lost a beloved pet will know how hard it is. Glad you have the cats to entertain you, but nothing really helps with the ever day sadness of missing a familiar companion.

Definitely time to step back and let others do the work (or not!) for a change.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Hope everyone is as well as they can be.
    Sorry so many people on the thread seem to be having a difficult time of things at the moment, I hope the worries problems or concerns that are weighing you down ease soon.

Stairs and landing carpet swapped this morning so kondoing the old carpet to the tip tomorrow along with mils old leaky waterbutt and a couple of other bits.
    Wrapped all the Christmas pressies for my mum, sister & brother plus their families along with birthday gifts for the rest of the year, they are all going to mums tomorrow along with a bag full of books I've finished with and a pair of shoes I think mum will like(if not they will go to the CS in her town)
    Have done all the shredding this afternoon so that's out in the recycling now.

Going to read a book now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Karmacat wrote: »
    GQ, thanks for that post - I'd no idea of any of that :o though my Nan lived in council housing all her life, and only left it to go into (council) sheltered housing ... I was 300 miles away, a flibbertigibbet in my 20s enjoying the Lunnon scene ... I suppose nobody told me :o such things were "kept from us" in my family in those days.

Thanks also re the bonfire, lack of accelerant. I thought there'd be a pollution issue, but also thought I might be overthinking it. Drat that its mostly about it being dry! It rained for about 36 hours solidly over the weekend :( I've been cutting and chopping and taking the stuff into the front yard (which means launching it like spears over the broken garden gate, which can't be opened) and the pile is now about four feet high, four feet wide, and up to eight feet long. And I'd be really surprised if that was more than a quarter of it :o
    :) My employer is one of the hundred-odd english councils who still own their own stock, a lot of councils have sold theirs off to be housing association stock. I do know that here, if someone has lived in a property for 50 years like Nan has lived in her bungalow, we'd not charge the estate, but she's in a different council area, so I don't know what their policy would be.

It's a point of honour to us as a family that everything will be tickety-boo and spotless.

I'm grinning at the thought of you hurling spears of cherry laurel over the broken gate like some madcap Boudicca. Certainly sounds like you have a job on there.

Where I've had to burn branch wood, or rain-sodden and rotten timbers, I've stood them up together as if wigwams for a few weeks. This maximises the airflow and speeds the drying. One time, I inherited a pile of rotten and sodden timbers behind an old lottie shed. They'd probably been re-usable when stashed there but had been in contact with the soil for years and were rotted and so waterlogged that they were very heavy and completely unburnable.

I dragged them out to a bit of open soil and stood them on end in a wigwam and left them to the winter sun, the breeze and the occasional rain for about three weeks. They completely dried out and went up in a roar when I did burn them.

Perhaps you can look at making temporary wigwam piles (I've also done this with snarls of green bramble canes) and letting them dessicate for a few weeks? You may well have to have a succession of fires if you have a huge volume of biomass to get rid of.

Hell, wish I was a free agent not tied to a job or I'd offer to come and help - will garden for food. ;)

Whilst I've been away, have had a long chat with the folks about progress at the bungalow and also been over to a pal's for an hour or so. We had a good old natter plus I was able to declutter a birthday present and card, so that counts as kondo-ing, right?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mavvy - so sorry to hear of the loss of your furry friend. Do find some consolation in that he was dearly loved and cared for all his life. Glad you are taking a break for a while - sounds as if a few people are in for a shock wake up call.
    Managed to get a few bits photographed to sell on FB but it much else done on the kondo front today :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mavvy so sorry to hear about your dog
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport