Let's fix this situation

Options

Comments

• BeckyS
    BeckyS Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Good evening Diary,

I have been coughing all day and not got much done. I feel dreadful.

Good news I weighed myself this morning and had lost 2lb.

I did manage one thing I wrote an email to the Housing Association asking about a water meter. Let's see if they get back to me.

I'm currently cooking one of the three gammon joints from the freezer (I picked up 3 for £5 last week and froze them). This one is the smallest but should do me for at least a couple of evening meals and pea and ham soups for lunch.

I am going to try and make tomorrow an NSD (the question is if I'll need milk again).

Becky
    Sealed pot Challenge 9 member #558

Debts to be listed soon
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to say, Becky, that I'm impressed! You really put your mind to it, even when it's all clogged up and foggy :)
    You've reminded me that I have to compare electric, gas, and car insurance.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We have all had the cold from hell here too so I feel your pain :)

Glad BT fixed the issue without charge - most of the time they have to make you aware of it but it's rarely charged. Mainly it's to ensure you have actually done the checks you should have done to rule out things like faulty equipment etc or as we once had - cheap bargain chirstmas lights that would knock out the broadband and affect line quality when they were turned on... was only discovered when after the ite insisted on engineers during certain hours, they finally let one in during the day (it was an office building and they didn't want him there during the day... no idea why) - the fault that hadn't been there the last 3 visits was suddenly there... so he basically had the genius idea of turning everything off one thing at a time and sure enough the cheap lights they had strung up weren't actually safety checked and the surge as they flashed on and off sent electrical pulses that knocked out their internet connection... yeah that client was charged for the visits LOL

Well done on the food - I fancy pea and ham soup now!!!

Definitely chase the water thing - that's really high for one person and a pet that self cleans :D

Hope they fixed your boiler today!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Afternoon Becky,

Sniffling over here too, think it's doing the rounds. Hope you feel better soon xx
  • BeckyS
    Options
    Hi all,

I got a reply from the Housing Association and they straight up said yes. No forms, no hassle just "we [FONT=&quot]believe it is important for customer’s to be able to manage their finances and reduce costs where possible therefore I am pleased to say this permission is granted".

So this evening I called Severn Trent and the engineers will be out to do a survey and if possible fit a meter on 29th October. :j

If the estimates are correct it should cut my water bill annually by at least 1/3. :T

More good news - today was an NSD. Tomorrow won't be but I'm going to try and limit spending to milk, bread, bus ticket and maybe some cough sweets (cos the cold has gone to my chest).

[/FONT]

Debts to be listed soon
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Brilliant on the meter - that WILL make a difference! :T

Suggestion on the Milk thing - if you're buying in pints, currently, or even in 2 pint containers, try this: save your last empty container and wash it well. Buy your milk in double the size containers and when you get home, freeze half. (Actually I use skimmed milk and find that either that or semi-skimmed both last AGES over their date - I think my last one went 10 days over!) - not only is is cheaper per pint to buy in the larger quantities - particularly if you can get to buying in 4pts - it saves you going into the shop to get more so often, and thus reduces the likelihood of those little unplanned spends creeping into the basket to keep the milk company... :D Do bear in mind that frozen milk takes a lot longer to defrost than you expect, though!

Also - MSE friendly method of easing a cough. Boiling water into your bathroom sink, with a few drops of Olbas Oil or similar if you have it but not vital. Get a large thick bath sheet and fold it in half and steam your head with the towel over the top to hold the steam in. REALLY effective - MrEH even finds it clears his sinuses when they get clogged up with cold. :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • BeckyS
    Options
    Freezing milk! What a great idea...

Didn't end up being a low spend day today due to the cough worsening (I was coughing so hard I coughed up some blood which was alarming and why I ended dqlling the doctor) to the point I headed to the doctors from work. Getting there and back in reasonable time meant taxis but I reckon I made that back in time not lost from work (buses are great but not quick). The doctor listened to my chest and gave me an inhaler so there were presciption fees as well :/ but it is helping.

Other than that not much to report.

Becka

Debts to be listed soon
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yay to the water meter, that's brilliant.

Glad you saw the doctor, must've been a worrying moment, the main thing is that the inhaler is helping. Get well soon x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do bear in mind that frozen milk takes a lot longer to defrost than you expect, though

Doesn't it just! Especially 6 pinters!!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doesn't it just! Especially 6 pinters!!

4's are bad enough!

A tip if you're freezing a half-bottle though - is to freeze it on the diagonal - that speeds things up a bit!

Glad to hear you've got an inhaler that's helping Becka.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business