Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,206Posts
    • 8,673Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
    • How to invest an inheritance
    • How to keep accounts as a landlord
    • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around £190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £2735/£10k
Page 19
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    3 x £25 win on the Premium Bonds more to move into savings once it is paid out.

Bill for mattress moving covers are here £75 but it's out of PayPal and I had that £30 credit for the rubbish bags I bought. £20 again on Oyster must claim those expenses. Wanted to get the 8.10 train but not going to happen will go for the 8.30 no Southern trains today due to strike so better not be late for that one.

DG left at 7am did have early night though
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Another early one for DG hence why I'm awake I'll get earlier train too so busy with the strike at least Thursday is ok now.

No spend yesterday beginning to really love that concept so wanted a coffee got quidco money converted to Costa voucher so all set to redeem except there isn't aCosta near ny work. I walked past a Nero but didn't go in so really does work nsd.

Friend confirmed it's ok to stay with him (even if he had forgotten) and got telephone number for my tenant to arrange to put stuff on loft. Will gift some of my garden stuff to my friend can't put too much in the loft.

No news re flats I'll call today after lunch also should get notice from this company that we haven't paid this month. Let the fun begin. Really hope that is more flats coming on as would still love a two bed would solve everything.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    A bit gloomy here today, my tenant says the oven doesn't work I'm hoping it's just a setting on the inter but if it isn't new oven and hob it's 23 years old so done well. Should get new extractor as well it's not great but we shall see at least I'm going down Saturday.

Also no two beds on offer they are happy for us to ring up and ask if any has come in so I'll so this Friday lunchtime. There is usually viewings Saturdays so we shall see not looking good though might be stuck in one bed with expensive storage. Finding stuff we want from here I can see that storage unit getting bigger. Things like stand alone grill (industrial but its great, shelving system real heavy duty, blinds, room dividing full length track with curtains etc etc).

Work ok fine actually line managing three people now (one yet to start) and I had help from a lovely law student volunteer today she was great got loads done ready for Monday and was able to run my first stat. So cool the new crm system,

Tired after the two early wake up calls tomorrow I'm the one getting up before DG as she's off on her trip. She'll be back Monday late I shall really miss her but I've got my weekend down South well overnight so that's cool.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 5th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Feels weird being at home alone don't think I'll stay up late tonight but don't have an early start tomorrow either.

Email from new guardian company could we collect the keys soon as they would like us to move in. Going to get them Tuesday but still calling Monday to see if that have any new ones. They have taken their advert off zoopla now so I think that is it for a while. Maybe just move in and tell myself it's 6 months and then look to move again. Will be exciting to start moving in and seeing the place again been a while.

Work still going well now going to be line ,managing 3 people which is fab. Busy but not too bad got a lot of meetings coming up. Good days training today and also launch my new system part one. Well received.

DG just landed so calling later she's with her mum and best friend seeing her mums new house. It's not ready for occupation but will be at some point which is when I will go out there.

Spent £3 on lunch nothing naughty bought which is good
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 6th Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Expensive day treated myself to lunch out £10 and chelates and ice cream £13 for later feel sorry for myself having a cold and being all alone.

Was fed up as loads of rubbish has happened.

My cooked failed gas certificate so need new one which is fine but poor tenant
    My tenant hasn't replied to my txt about me coming over to drop some stuff off
    Storage unit is so expensive but we have to get keys and live with one bed
    Got a rotten cold feel crap
    Bit awkward day at work
    Worried I won't fit everything in my car tomorrow and I have to ditch two large plants I really like
    Crappy guardian company has taken our large bin away guess they have not paid the bill.

So this evening I saw one of my house mates he's got a place to live moving same weekend as us. He's quite happy to help each other and we can share van hire. He's also got a lock up garage nearby he only uses half off so he would let me use the other half would be a lot lot cheaper than my storage unit. He said for me to go and take a look which is well cool. He's not paid his rent either. He's going to chase crappy guardian company.

Feel a lot better after that really good news. Feel now I can look forward to the one bed and not have to move in a rush again soon.

Look forward to seeing my friend and my old cats tomorrow hopefully I will feel better.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 8th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Had a really nice weekend got to speak to my tenant agency had wrong number for her and cooker still broken plus there is a leak in the bathroom and some lights doesn't work. Garden does look better and it was good to see someone else's furniture in there so I didn't remember it as mine. She said she really liked it and would look after it. I got my stuff in the loft and rehomed my favourite plant with my friends.

Lots of cat cuddles from both boys plus there cat and the dog, lovely dinner and no alcohol plus lovely dog walk on the beach this morning stunning weather too.

Got some boxes and some very cheap bits for the new flat £50 in total but boxes much needed.

Saw father in law looking frail but had just fallen again and hurt his back. He wasn't his usual self didn't talk much about the business and he said he was lonely in July and August without the Lodge. I said he could just call me. We are ready to go for a stone and I'll also get him some vases to stick in the ground.

Spent quite a bit and also paid the gas call out charge for my tenant £60 but changed policy so won't had to pay in future. My tenant isn't using my washing machine but no sure it worth getting it taken up here.

Made my lunch and early meeting tomorrow so won't be long out of bed. Miss DG she'll be back tomorrow look forward to that.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 9th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 4,978 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Sounds like a good weekend, and cat cuddles too, lucky you.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Yes lovely cat cuddles from both of them so nice to see then settled down. Good day at work meeting at 8.30 was good but it was an early start.

Worked with law student volunteers all afternoon tired but loads of work done they pick things up so quickly real pleasure but no work of my own done.

Forgot to ring new guardian company to find out opening times for picking keys up tomorrow. DG isn't at stanstead until 11.45pm and she's got court tomorrow so she cannot do it. My cold is horrible cough too hope to feel better tomorrow. Early night I think done two loads of washing need to hang them up.

Need to make sure room is tidy DG hates untidiness but can cope with dirt and grime which I can't. Funny how different we are.

Things to do:
    Call new guardian company re collecting keys
    Change address on pet insurance
    Letter that needs signature to be picked up think it's my license
    Home insurance renewal (Landlord one)
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 12th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Evening another manic day work is really ramping up but it's very good and interesting. Trying to prepare for the move isn't easy with heavy workload and DG had to go and return her mums car tonight a very long trip and back on the train. She's not in a good place really fed up with work.

Had a battle with getting a British Gas keymeter impossible none of the shops have any and there aren't that many shops anyway. What a rubbish system clearly for the poor if it was everyone who had to do it it wouldn't be so crap. On hold for over 1/2 hour but result we get a proper meter and can pay DD on Saturday so much better. Means we cannot do any work tomorrow but I don't mind it can't wait until Saturday.

Also registered for council tax and applied for parking permit. Might have to upload evidence as we get it but tried using what I had. Still loads to do and list getting longer.

Oh yeah been to flat it's fine quite large but will stil need flatmates storage,

Call new guardian company re collecting keys done but need second key fob that's £25 robbery
    Change address on pet insurance
    Letter that needs signature to be picked up think it's my license
    Home insurance renewal (Landlord one)
    Home insurance new flat
    Change address on driving license
    Change address on V5.

Now going to catch up with bakeoff
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 13th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    So tired and glad week is over been a long long one. Busy at work looking after students very bright but three of them is a lot and I've done it all week so not got much of my own work down.

Taking the team out for lunch it's not expensive and it's nice as week just got a new member so nice welcome plus I'm taking two volunteers. Can't really have all those working on the project it gets too much.

Having a low alcohol beer only one left so that's fine. Been chocking with money not taken many lunches in but have eaten out or freezer. Need to go shopping tomorrow we don't move for two weeks so needs supplies.

Should have an earl night and then golf tomorrow before we have to be at the flat at 2pm to get new meter. Anticipate we will spend some time there cleaning and also planning everything. Starting too look forward to not having to share should be good. Old guardian company still not chased for this months month a bit strange. Meant to talk to flat mate about using his storage but not heard from him he's in his room so wanted to leave him alone.

Need to do some money shuffling make sure M&S has £1000 going in this month or I won't get the bonus.

Going to read some diaries and then rejoin DG in a bit in the lounge. Just needed a bit of me time been a long week.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 15th Oct 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Nice weekend but busy, got some stuff prepared for the move and played a bit of golf DG still not in the right frame of mind for it, getting annoying now.

Electric back on and flat is nice lots of do but I will work for us I'm sure. Need to get rid of large broken fridge freezer going to see if they will do it as we obviously don't need a broken one.

Meeting friend tomorrow haven't seen in 15 years look forward to it, she staying really near my work so glad she got in touch. We were best pals right up to A level went to school together.

Tired to early night for me.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Busy again new member of staff starting she's going to be good I'm sure and will soon be up to speed. I won't be in first thing going to a meeting but free lunch afterwards which is great.

Ended up having a couple of beers with friend £10.60 for two pints so expensive in London. Very nice chat I last saw her 7 years ago at my 40th for brunch for a couple of hours. She new ex dh so good to talk all great really.

DG have an early start tomorrow I don't so nice lie in. No dinner tonight so means got dinner for tomorrow dg murdered lunch so might need to take something else.

Getting quotes for move it's now in two parts quite complex but flat mate has confirmed I can store things. Great news I don't know how much it will be but a lot cheaper than commercial storage at £120 a month for sure. Quotes range from £210 to £419 needed to change dates so asked for new quote.

Also sent email to new guardian company re broken fridge told to log it on portal. I had barely posted it before the phone rang it was maintenance they are on site tomorrow would we like it removed. Super impressed wow wow wow so different to old company. Great it's going which means the kitchen will be so much nicer and we can always buy one. Now need to order washing machine so the plan is coming together.

Got some funding for new post so might need to learn about IFA's which does interest me, sent some emails out asking for help from contacts should hopefully work out nicely.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 17th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Booked part two move 28/10 that gives us time to pack Friday and take things to storage. £210 I'm happy with we always do it ourselves so nice to have help as it's heavy stuff.

Paid for mail redirection and also registered for water bill.

Not bad for a mornings work in bed.

Need to get up soon and get to my meeting at 10am but don't need to leave just yet.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 17th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Parking permit a nightmare but I'll sort it, helps we now have car insurance sorted and also electoral roll. Need to change all my banks addresses too. Paid move just need to book transit once flat mate says yes to date etc.

Busy at work might be winning might not. Some things really irritates me but the CEO is on m side and new team member is great. Taking them all out for lunch tomorrow should be good want us to be a real team.

Thinks that's it not a no spend day due to move but free lunch at least bonus. Got less than £400 left but all bills are out and I can do some more shuffling around of £430 I recycled through M&S.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Bank account dwindling rapidly bought a second hand headboard yesterday on eBay and e seller delivered it today. £40 in delivery it's great perfect as the bed will be up against an old electric radiator so needed something like this. The bedroom will be cramped but let's hope it fits.

Got over to the flat the old dead fridge hasn't been moved sadly hopefully it will go soon. Got more stuff over and curtains up in bedroom. Lots of cleaning to do but shelves now all over there plus mirror and other borrowed stuff from here.

Took track down that will divide room tonight so ready to go over too. Put things on gumtree cheaply just to get rid as guardian company is saying we will be charged if anything is left. Some interest already but we can take it to the tip shop if needed before we move.

Can't wait for weekend really cannot. Good day lots of progress made turns out which I hadn't quite realised is my new member of staff also applied for the job I didn't get. She is great she really is like her a lot. We work well together.

Going to go to bed now not sleeping great a lot on my mind re move but we will get there. Need to book van really must do that.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 22nd Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Busy weekend spent four hours at the new flat got shelves up four of them but ceiling track was just too difficult drilling into concrete. Got some cleaning done cooker top looks great now all oven ware saoking in big bag and oven also treated. Some cupboards cleaned but not ask much as I would have liked to do.

Went and got rugdoctor what a mess took ages ended up with edging tool that doesn't work and no more available to hire will just have to make the best of it luckily the carpets are very dark. Rug came up brilliantly. Posted add on ratedpeope I don't like using them but handy for quick turnaround. Guy is coming today to fit the ceiling rail and the curtain rail £77 but just too difficult with out the right tools and so much still to do. I've also messaged him this morning and he will remove the two old electric radiators they are unsightly and very bulky will be good to get rid of them. More money but worth it.

Today more cleaning and DG will fit more shelves and a mirror. Carpets will be cleaned last thing before heading back for xfactor and hopefully someone collecting more stuff. Sold an old microwave £5 hopefully some more pennies for garden furniture and stuff.

Don't feel we are quite on top of things but hopefully later today we will be. Still worried it won't all fit in we shall see.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 22-10-2017 at 9:26 AM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 22nd Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Bit of a crap one today got e guy out to the the two rails couldn't as the ceiling is concrete then decided he couldn't do the curtain track as it's good and he needed to know the screw size and we hadn't taken the curtains down. He took the two old electric radiators out £60 but gives us more room and more choice over layout. Back to the drawing board re curtained off area as it's four meter wide so needs support in the middle. Not sure what we do now. Wish we had got two bed would have been ideal.

Got carpets cleaned and all other shelves up plus done more cleaning. Front door lock dodgy but can't report as site is down. Will be back over on Wednesday then big move Friday and Saturday. Feel like I haven't had a weekend. Set up standing orders for new rent and payment into joint account will be more expensive than here but only by £100 a month. Much nicer not to have to share. Bed now much needed.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 22nd Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 4,978 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Can you find any free standing room dividers, or get a joiner to knock some up for you ?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Marko-Homewares-4-Panel-Room-Divider-Screen-Privacy-Wall-Movable-Partition-Foldi/1477619858?iid=142055306531&var=441154194837
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 23rd Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks VandaFC problem is room is 4 meter long so would need two and this option was free as someone had left the track and curtain behind but yes it's an option thanks for pointing it out. All my furniture got collected last night £40 in the pot will pay for the headboard we bought Thursday. Take away last night and no lunches sorted for the week but it's just hard at the moment I need to get back o track once we have over also with fitness and eating healthy.

Tired this morning DG suggested I take next Monday off but I can't as I have meeting but I could take Tuesday off think I might would be nice with a chill day to be honest.

Topping my savings up current total £1502 but not sure there will be more to add as might be more moving expenses such as diesel fro van (won't be much) and maybe another take away. Spoke to housemate he's still ok for me to store stuff our other prev housemate wants to store his bike in there too I didn't quite get all the details but he's hiring a van too but we need ours all day so no saving there which is fine.

The lock at the flat is very dodgy but cannot post a ticket to say this shame as they should be coming to take fridge away today can't wait for that too be done it's rank.

Message from friend over the weekend she's split from her husband been on the cards for ages finally made the move. I'm glad she was desprate for children and got one but he was never right. From a very religious family (which is fine) but he was hard to talk to and they were very different. I hope they sell their house soon so they can both move on sadly they only bought it a year ago.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 24th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Been over to the flat with more stuff kitchen hold a lot of stuff which is great also the big fridge is gone looks so much better and our idea to put small fridge in there and cover gap with metal plate from her for industrial grill to go on works well. Smells a bit damp but we don't have the heating on and the carpets have just been cleaned. They don't look great but they are clean.

Work a bit up and down new member of staff might be internal recruitment bit concerned about that but it's a safe pair of hands.

Garden box migth finally go tonight no one wants the other stuff sadly but no problem can stay here belong to the place anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin