Credit Card Pre selection Letters

Anybody know how CC companies pre select potential customers
Do they use credit reference agencies and if so is it registered as a search with the agency.

If the above is correct then presumably they dont bother to credit check again, when the pre-select application is sent back signed!!
micheal5kr.gif

Comments

• I don't know how they 'pre-select' but they do usually, if not always in my experience do another credit check. I was turned down for a Tesco card that I had been pre-selected for. :'( Sainsbury were more generous though ;D
  • Sub_2
    Sub_2 Posts: 113 Forumite
    This "pre-selected" malarky is basically just a scam. You are not pre-approved for the card/loan, nor have you been vetted in any way, almost always pre-selected just means "we bought your name and address on a huge list".

The pre-selected wording is just a different marketing strategy that suits some companies, one more mailshot method amongst hundreds.

In the UK companies cannot credit check you without your express permission, so these invitations to apply have not been checked against your record with the referencing agencies. If you take up the offer and apply you will be credit checked and scored in the usual way.
  • Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Hmm. Not sure it's as simple as that sub as the invitation letters often give a better deal than what's generally offered.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well I was preselected by HSBC and given a credit limit of £12000 (more than double that of my next highest limit). All I had to do was sign a form which had my address and I think, date of birth.
    It said on the accompanying letter that they had preselected me based on certain info they had about me. I have a current account with them but I opened that as a student account more than 16 years ago and have not given them any financial details since. I use this account to recieve balance transfer money from other cards and this happens quite regularly so I think that HSBC may have mistook this for my monthly salary and based their offer on this piece of data.
    Even better was the letter my wife got informing her that she was preselected to recieve a card as well and was given the exact same credit limit. They also based this offer on 'information' they held about her. This could be due to the fact that she is a joint current account holder with me now and whatever selection process they use must have blindly selected all the names registered with the account. This is extremely funny as my wife does not work and has never had a job. So she has now got this card as well and has not had to sign any untruthful declarations. We are now holding almost 24K of HSBC's money in a high paying savings account(it could have been even more ironic if I could have found a decent account at HSBC to store their own money but I didn't manage to do so) .

So my tip is get your spouse signed up to your current account if you bank at HSBC and you never know what you might get through the letterbox.(I'll proabably get something brown and smelly if HSBC read this and put 2 and 2 together though)
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    PRE = before

pre - selected = before (being) selected
  • PRE = before

pre - selected = before (being) selected

Agree with you totally but somehow 'pre' in this context makes you think you have already been selected. ??? Clever use of wording to mislead :(
  • Sub_2
    Sub_2 Posts: 113 Forumite

Agree with you totally but somehow 'pre' in this context makes you think you have already been selected. ??? Clever use of wording to mislead :(

That's exactly what it is, misleading, and deliberately so. The card companies know that many people are put off from applying because they are wary of being vetted and rejected.

If they give the impression the deal is already sealed and all the applicant has to do is fill in the form, then the response rate increases.

Seems a little shabby to me, but then I wouldn't expect anything else from the crafty gits.
  • Seems a little shabby to me, but then I wouldn't expect anything else from the crafty gits.
    When they do things they are crafty gits.
    When we do things we are astute operatives.
    ;D ;D ;D
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family