Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I love porridge :D Although I rarely do anything fancy - bit of water and salt, 2 mins in the microwave, add sugar. If I've got it, I also add varying combinations of cinnamon, sultanas, bananas, apple, peanut butter, tahini, mincemeat etc depending on what's in the cupboard :D This morning was bananas and tahini :j but my favourite is peanut butter and sultanas :D
  • troglodyte
    troglodyte Posts: 697 Forumite
    I've never really used tahini much except for making hummus; obviously I've missed a trick there!
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I eat a lot of cereal and toast. I do make sure the kids eat well though. I wouldn't let them eat cereal for tea.

Glad treatment went well and that TRG is eating again. Hope he's properly better soon
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Eating through the stores thing always interests me.

I'm not sure if it's because there was quite a long time I didn't know how I'd make the next meal and what it would be but I really get worried when I run things down :o

I don't really over shop now though but I do tend to replace the things we use if that makes sense?

Maybe I need to learn to use a bit more and not be such a food hoarder :rotfl:

Glad your mums treatment went without hick ups x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • troglodyte
    WannabeFree our cupboards tend to be full as well, for various reasons such as having several different types of things like flour and sugar, especially when we get near the end of one bag then I prefer to buy more before running out so that takes up a lot of space. Then when things we use are on offer, again I tend to stock up - just bought several cans of custard because they were almost half price and the 'use-by' date is many months away, so that means they could keep for years : ) The freezer also gets filled up with garden produce and yellow-stickered meat. But at some point we have to start using it or there isn't room for the next bargains or it's almost time for the next year's garden produce. In bumper years it has sometimes taken us two years or even more to use up all of a particular thing, like green beans or jostaberries, but they all get eaten in the end!
  • I tend to hoard food when I am stressed and feeling the pressure - so a big goal for me has been to use up what is in my cupboard!!

I discovered the joy of a "Bircher" ( https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bircher-muesli-apple-banana ) breakfast and make a bowl on a Sunday and keep it in my fridge all week and eat it every day - it means I eat well, cheaply AND use up dried fruit/ fresh fruit that's knocking around and needs eating up. I snack on it if I am feeling peckish so saves grabbing a packet of crisps etc

I would love garden produce but am not at that stage yet in my garden!!
  • troglodyte
    WM that sounds like a good idea, especially when you're in a rush on a summer morning. Not sure about winter though as we don't have the heating on in the mornings (only rarely in the evenings, especially if we have visitors!) so a chilled breakfast isn't so appealing. Must investigate porridge!
  • Hey up visitors how lovely. All breakfasted and full of yummy porridge, custand and bircher. How fabulous I do love a good breakfast.

WBF - I am a complete food hoarder it pushes my internal compass buttons when there's limited food, I actually get panicky. I'm a bit of a scoffer so I don't know its a throw back to childhood (single parent household, 6 of us sometimes 9 of us, so a packet of biscuits for pud, didn't go far......but we never went hungry, I'm just a greedy monkey). Frugalwise there is a bit of a balance though between like Trog says - full to bursting with bargains and bits or super lean cupboards, I find the balance hard.

Working Mum thanks for that - I like the idea of it - might give it a go but I'm bad with anything too soggy, these days I@m making up the porridge dry mix in the evening and adding liquid in the am. But it might be the way forward I'll maybe give that a go. Like Trog we don't heat any rooms in the am (by the time I'm dressed for work, I'm like a michelin man so I'm good with cold including brekkie).

Trog - sounds like the gardening is v productive and thanks for putting up that link.

Starnac I'd die if the kids ate cereal for tea but DH does it loads. I'd feel pretty robbed of a meal TBH :D, then again I can eat chips for tea all week long and feel like I'm still short a potato product in my life. :)

Cheery - I do love you me dear but your porridge is infected with crazy things and I'm happy that it makes you happy but, please don't be offended if I wont try it. Peanut butter is for eating off a spoon and sultanas (I@m allergic) but are actually the devils food. :P

I do micro out porridge I think you taught me that one, but sans evil things.

GP thank you so much for the links, loving the porridge chat on here.

:)

Wee mammy is tucked up under several cosy blankets, taking it easy thank you very much all for the kind words. Means alot.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 8:54PM
    Evening all

Yesterday was a sea of hardly any sleep and crashing and burning early.

Top news was finding half a cooked chicken (food hoarder me, never) for 84p so tea was a imrpov'd roast dinner. I'm always humbled by reductions but when its a cooked item at a silly price, I'm happy to try and accomodate a change, as OH has been off since the flu it was nice to see him perk at teh idea of some food.

Half eaten, twas a tiny bird, but it lived and has respect for doing that, so we've done stock from the bones and half boxed and in the freezer. Single yorkie mix made far too much for one meal but used a nicely hot oven.

Dog food and juice meant spends were £19.35 yesterday but NOTHING today HUZZAH.

At least its one NSD on grub.

Leftovers for tea. Why not.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad your wee maw is snuggled up.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure