Cancel card or reduce credit limit?

Thanks Martin for this weeks money tips. I was most insterested in the article on whether to keep old credit cards and would like to ask the chat room if reducing the credit limit has the same effect as formally cancelling the card. I have a LLoyds TSB mastercard with a zero balance and a £15,000 credit limit that I have kept solely for emergencies. Also with credit limits in mind, I'm managing my debts down using 0% for life barclays and a capital 1 fixed for life of balance. Is it worth reducing the credit limit on these as the debts reduce?

In anticipation...
Cheers P

Comments

• What do you think would be the benefit to you from reducing the limit?
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    [Does] reducing the credit limit has the same effect as formally cancelling the card. I have a LLoyds TSB mastercard with a zero balance and a £15,000 credit limit that I have kept solely for emergencies.

I'm assuming you read the whole article, particularly:
    What are the benefits of cancelling a card?

There are two main benefits, both of which are about maintaining your ability to access the market’s best deals.

Improved Credit Score. When you cancel your cards, by definition you have less available credit. This is a boost to your credit score as it means potential over-indebtedness is less of a problem. For this reason alone cancelling your credit cards is worthwhile
    Cancelling your £15,000 card will reduce your available credit by £15,000. Reducing the limit to (say) £2,000 will reduce your available credit by £13,000.

So in answer to your question: No - reducing the limit is not the same as formally cancelling. Unless of course you want the limit reduced to £0.

All this, of course, ignores the fact that in not cancelling, you have one more credit card than you would have had, had you cancelled.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • pjayt
    pjayt Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What do you think would be the  benefit to you from reducing the limit?

I'm assuming that because Martin wrote the article that the benefits from getting rid of the card is a better credit rating, therefore my question is if I reduce credit limits on existing cards does it have a similar effect?

Ta P
  • Hi Pjayt,

Not answering your original question but just thought I'd say a word of warning - the barclays 0% for life offer (I think) was only valid if you spent £50 a month on the card. So therefore, you had £50 of purchases every month - £600 a year - attracting the purchases APR - which is not a small amount of money (£100ish per year). ONLY AFTER YOU CLEAR THE ORIGINAL BALANCE TRANSFER will your payments go off the purchases you've made, making the balance transfer rather expensive in the long run.

So you may want to consider this and check you're not being fleeced by them since you're trying to pay your debts off (which is hard enough as it is without being nadgered by CC interest too...!).

All the best,

Chris
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    The original had a £1 spend, hopefully it is that one.
  • pjayt
    pjayt Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Pjayt,

Not answering your original question but just thought I'd say a word of warning - the barclays 0% for life offer (I think) was only valid if you spent £50 a month on the card.  

All the best,

Chris

Thanks Chris but I was one of the lucky ones with barclays earlier offer... RNIB benefits to the tune of £1/month by dd

Thanks
    P.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family