Iresa offering smart meter

I had a letter today from Iresa offering me a smart meter.

I'm fairly hesitant because my experience so far with them has been the literal worst. I'm only still with them because they're so cheap.

Have any other Iresa customers had a smart meter fitted yet?

Comments

• Woofwoof
    Woofwoof Posts: 17 Forumite
    I got the same letter, but the first question they asked when I called was did I have solar panels, yes I do. And Iresa already knew that, but didn't tell SMS doing the smart meters.

They are first generation smart meters which don't work with solar.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Im not one to shy away from recommending smart meters be fitted, but I would only recommend one being fitted from a big 6.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    I'm with First Utility and was thinking of switching to the cheapest fixed tariff which comes with a smart meter, however I do have a 4kw solar panel system does this mean they will not fit a smart meter?.
    Should I sign up anyway?.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Woofwoof wrote: »
    They are first generation smart meters which don't work with solar.

Doesn't that mean they'll eventually need replacing with a 2nd gen one?

I don't have solar panels but if I'm going to have a smart meter fitted, I don't want one that'll need replacing in a couple of years.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Where Iresa are concerned I would much rather be in control of my own meter readings.
  • molerat wrote: »
    Where Iresa are concerned I would much rather be in control of my own meter readings.

Good point. They owe me money currently and are ignoring my requests for it back. As soon as it hits 8 weeks, I'll be going to the ombudsman.

They've also used an estimated reading after I gave them a current one yet again. It seems like if I don't do a meter reading at the end of the month, they estimate the bill even if I've done one just before.

They are really cheap but I'm considering switching just because they're so awful. I just don't want to leave them with over £200 owed to me when I do because I think it'll be a nightmare getting it back.

That turned into a bit of a cathartic rant :mad:
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 9:54AM
    Iresa will have fulfilled OFGEMS obligation in "offering " a smart meter just by sending out a letter..job done.
    By the time one of their contracted meter fitters arrive at your doorstep it could be years away and SMETS 2 s will be in operation.
    BG are now fitting SMETS2 compatible meters.I can t see why all the others are not doing that
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    By the time one of their contracted meter fitters arrive at your doorstep it could be years away and SMETS 2 s will be in operation.
    BG are now fitting SMETS2 compatible meters.I can t see why all the others are not doing that

...because the contractors have a stockpile of the early version of "smart" meter and no-one wants to be responsible for the write off?? BG will presumably absorb the cost ...or more accurately, charge the customer who has never switched via their variable tariff.:(
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...because the contractors have a stockpile of the early version of "smart" meter and no-one wants to be responsible for the write off?? BG will presumably absorb the cost ...or more accurately, charge the customer who has never switched via their variable tariff.:(

Either that or BG have already managed to run down their stocks of SMETS 1 meters
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ajbell wrote: »
    I'm with First Utility and was thinking of switching to the cheapest fixed tariff which comes with a smart meter, however I do have a 4kw solar panel system does this mean they will not fit a smart meter?.
    Should I sign up anyway?.

I have solar panels too, with a Scottish power smart meter.

I hadn't thought about this before, surely its just a case of how they are wired up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure