PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Contaminated Land

2»

Comments

• chappers wrote: »
    Exactly that happened to a friend of mines Mum about 15 years ago. The houses were built after the war and the tenants were obviously encouraged to grow their own veg. Well about 15 years ago it was discovered that the ground was contaminated, they came and dug something like 4 feet of soil out of everyones garden and the neighbouring park and replaced it with fresh.
    But as suggested earlier some of this reporting is becoming a catch all. for example if you live in a n area of historic industry.

4' of soil wouldnt cover everything.

I'm growing comfrey, for instance, because the roots go down very deep and get all the "nourishment" and I believe I recall those roots go down about 7'.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    4' of soil wouldnt cover everything.

I'm growing comfrey, for instance, because the roots go down very deep and get all the "nourishment" and I believe I recall those roots go down about 7'.
    When checking for contamination, they go down far, using bore holes across the site.

4' would have been the affected area with some margin for error.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    When checking for contamination, they go down far, using bore holes across the site.

4' would have been the affected area with some margin for error.

Yep I don't know the full in's and outs but assume that was the case.
    Most of that ground was made up after the war and I think the contaminated soil had been brought in from somewhere else
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Forumite
    The thing that always strikes me about a property that is/might be contaminated is its not suitable for anyone that grows their own food.

I can imagine just how hard I'd "hit the ceiling" if someone told me that the organic food I've been growing in my garden (mainly to protect my health) hadnt gone "according to plan" some years down the line..:cool:

Hence I would never knowingly buy a property with contaminated land personally.

My house was flagged up as potentially contaminated land, due to an old battery factory at the end of the road. I was advised not to grow food in the ground, so when I started to get into gardening I just grew it in pots instead.
    The council did some tests in gardens along the street a few years later and the results were that there was nothing to worry about. The initial flag was because no-one was sure at the time I bought.
    Maybe see if your council have any further information? I found the planning officer very helpful when I turned up with my list of questions.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Time2go
    Time2go Posts: 198 Forumite
    Virtually every property in my county and next one has contaminated land radon to be exact due to the granite everywhere. However I rather like living in Devon so think I'll risk it.
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This happened to us a few years ago,
    It turned out that the house (and a few other properties) were built on a disused gasworks.
    The house we were going to buy, was actually on top of where a gas tower once stood (built in 1850, disused in 1950s) so the old fashioned gas, not like gas nowadays, it was horrible stuff back then... anyway surprise surprise - lack of paperwork, no soil tests etc etc.
    Walked away. (This was before environmental survey was mandatory - lucky we did one)
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Atomix wrote: »
    This happened to us a few years ago,
    It turned out that the house (and a few other properties) were built on a disused gasworks.
    The house we were going to buy, was actually on top of where a gas tower once stood (built in 1850, disused in 1950s) so the old fashioned gas, not like gas nowadays, it was horrible stuff back then... anyway surprise surprise - lack of paperwork, no soil tests etc etc.
    Walked away. (This was before environmental survey was mandatory - lucky we did one)

Most of the gasholders date from the town gas era, and the land is heavily contaminnated.

The sites are being fully decontaminated prior to being sold for development.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Forumite
    Get the seller to pay for an indemnity policy on the site and the demolition/rebuilding of the property.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    k_1982 wrote: »
    Which brings me to next question, how do i find out the history of the land, another detailed search etc or should I go to the council to find out ?

Try looking at a range of historic maps using the "side by side" viewer here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#

That might throw up a clue if you can find an OS 25 inch or similar for your area.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport