Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• mikeyorkie10
    mikeyorkie10 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:53AM
    My switch started on 18th September, now received final credit bills from BG... just waiting for the £150 refund.... :-)

I'd love to know how many have now left BG!
  • Think I will be leaving BG as well. They have three tariffs and there is nothing between them. I can lock in for two years and save £8 a year, lock in for a year and save nothing or stay on the standard tariff. Some choice, how can a massive company like BG not offer a cheap tariff?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    James001 wrote: »
    Think I will be leaving BG as well. They have three tariffs and there is nothing between them. I can lock in for two years and save £8 a year, lock in for a year and save nothing or stay on the standard tariff. Some choice, how can a massive company like BG not offer a cheap tariff?

Hi - welcome to the forum. I suspect that the answer is that many of the new/small suppliers do not pick up social costs such as the Warm Home Discount nor do many small suppliers pay PCW referral fees. Big organisations also tend to be multi-layered with big salaries plus they have massive pension liabilities, and shareholders. Small means efficient and, for customers, low energy prices. The Big 6 will have to adapt or slowly die. (just think back to what has happened to Woolworths, C and A, BHS)
  • James001 wrote: »
    Think I will be leaving BG as well. They have three tariffs and there is nothing between them. I can lock in for two years and save £8 a year, lock in for a year and save nothing or stay on the standard tariff. Some choice, how can a massive company like BG not offer a cheap tariff?
    Welcome!.... they aren't exactly fighting to keep us all as customers are they!!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Asked them the same question - no answer received :)
  • Finally got an answer from BG on this matter:-

"Thank you for your email about the smart monitor.

As you've switched the supplier, your monitor will not show any details of your usage. After you change the supplier, the smart meter is don't send any details to us or to your monitor.

Please contact us should you need any help in the future and thank you for contacting British Gas."

Almost makes sense but I get the gist!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Now officially an Ovo customer. Seems to have gone hassle free.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    silvercar wrote: »
    Now officially an Ovo customer. Seems to have gone hassle free.
    Yes its the same for me OVO took control today 4th october2yr fix im also £146 in credit with BG and that should go back into my bank account in next 28days it's so easy to switch with MSE energy club only takes 5mins.:D
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • I have now switched from British Gas, and my meter is also displaying 'Connecting to smart meter'. I was hoping it would continue to work, but without the cost information.

I would have also liked to have taken manual meter reading from the device, without having to go outside, however the 'Meter Readings' option has also disappeared! Seems a little petty seeing as I can see the hub is still paired to the meters outside.
  • jrpatten wrote: »
    I have now switched from British Gas, and my meter is also displaying 'Connecting to smart meter'. I was hoping it would continue to work, but without the cost information.

I would have also liked to have taken manual meter reading from the device, without having to go outside, however the 'Meter Readings' option has also disappeared! Seems a little petty seeing as I can see the hub is still paired to the meters outside.
    I know but it seems the same functionality that sends the meter readings to the supplier also sends the updates to the monitor. When they turn off their data collection, the monitor also dies. There will be a possible fix but it may take til 2020! Only alternative is to ask for a new generation SMETS2 Monitor when they become available ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure