M25 speeding

Comments

• gerkin
    gerkin Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What was the speed on the next display? Did it go back to national speed limit ? If so, you are okay, it was probably a glitch. I have seen it happen and I have exceeded the speed and never got a ticket.
  • C8957
    C8957 Posts: 7 Forumite
    gerkin wrote: »
    What was the speed on the next display? Did it go back to national speed limit ? If so, you are okay, it was probably a glitch. I have seen it happen and I have exceeded the speed and never got a ticket.

I left the motorway shortly after. I did initially start to slow down but literally nobody else did so it would have been dangerous . The fact that nobody else slowed down makes me think that maybe they know something I don't , as I don't usually drive on the m25
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The trouble is, too many people believe the gossip they hear in the pubs and around the water cooler. Many think that the cameras only work when a speed limit is displayed on them. That's mostly untrue now, now if you see cameras, you are well advised to assume they are functioning at all limits including NSL. There are lots of people being caught on M4/5 as a result...
  • Dclutterchique
    Dclutterchique Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 12:46PM
    I believe that it use to be the case (don't know if it still is) that the maximum amount by which a speed limit could be increased or decreased in one increment was 30mph. This would fit in with other posters saying that they have seen temporary limits only go down to 40mph. If this is still true, then the limit would have to drop to either 50mph or 40mph and then to 20mph in order to be legal. If you do get a ticket then according to these people you are allowed to ask for proof that the new limit was showing at the time. (one from the bottom in FAQs)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    If you do get a ticket then according to these people you are allowed to ask for proof that the new limit was showing at the time. (one from the bottom in FAQs)

You can ask, but they're not obliged to provide any evidence unless you go to court, which means losing the option of a course or FP.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    The trouble is, too many people believe the gossip they hear in the pubs and around the water cooler. Many think that the cameras only work when a speed limit is displayed on them. That's mostly untrue now, now if you see cameras, you are well advised to assume they are functioning at all limits including NSL. There are lots of people being caught on M4/5 as a result...
    Yes - last week I was driving through a "smart" motorway section, going 70 in the right lane overtaking someone doing 68-69 in the middle so it took a while, and some idiot started tailgating me, anyway evertually when I pulled over he floored it and I'm sure I saw a couple of flashes as he went under the next gantry - no speed limit was displayed.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    You can ask, but they're not obliged to provide any evidence unless you go to court, which means losing the option of a course or FP.
    Far enough, but surely anyone doing 40 in a 20 zone would have forfeited the option to take a course?
  • Mercdriver
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes - last week I was driving through a "smart" motorway section, going 70 in the right lane overtaking someone doing 68-69 in the middle so it took a while, and some idiot started tailgating me, anyway evertually when I pulled over he floored it and I'm sure I saw a couple of flashes as he went under the next gantry - no speed limit was displayed.

I like karma like that. I remember driving along the M4 in Wiltshire, having overtaken a traffic car that was doing 65ish, and I could see him in the distance in my rear view mirror. The guy tailgating me didn't use his mirrors, did an aggressive overtake and I noticed the police car advance and the car got pulled over. I had a chuckle at that one...
  • The minimum enforceable speed limit is 30 mph.
    Anything below this is recommendatory.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Mercdriver
    The minimum enforceable speed limit is 30 mph.
    Anything below this is recommendatory.

in what context?

All those 20mph zones aren't enforceable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure