British Airways Avios or Virgin Atlantic Flying Club?

123457»

Comments

• malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Who is 'getting excited'?

All I see are posters highlighting the fact that you do not have to step foot on a BA plane to earn status in their FF scheme.

You highlighted in your earlier post that BAEC was the best scheme for you due to geographical reasons, the fact you use BA and is one of the best programmes out there.

I also use BA, but I rarely pay for their flights, I did have status with KL, but it just didn't work for me-even though KL/AF do fly from NCL.

Many people may question why people use a particular supermarket - they do it because it suits them.....an argument you have already used with respect to your choice of carrier and FFP

Why question someone's choice of product or service because YOU cannot see logic in it?

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Again, I'm not challenging anyone's choice of product in the slightest. Just asking the value of status with a product you don't use. To mirror your analogy - would you want a tesco clubcard if you don't ever shop at tescos ? (Or use any of their products).
    Legal team on standby
  • malkie76
    Nick_C wrote: »
    You seem to be looking at status in isolation. Many people will look at status and the ability to easily earn miles as a package.

My preferred airline to North America is AA in business class. But I book my AA flights as BA flights on the BA website. This counts towards BA/OW status.

I pay with my BAPP credit card and get 3 Avios per pound spent instead of the 1.5 I would get booking with AA.

I could earn AA miles using their credit card, but I can earn far more Avios by additionally converting Tesco Clubcard points, shopping online at Gate 365, and taking advantage of the many Avios earning opportunities that exist in the UK, Spain, and Ireland. The same opportunities to earn miles with Qantas or AA simply do not exist for UK residents.

I simply couldn't earn so many miles I used AA or Qantas instead of BAEC.

Points and status on BA are separate elements, which is why my point has grounding.
    Legal team on standby
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Points and status on BA are separate elements, which is why my point has grounding.

So how can I earn Avios and OW status by crediting by flights to Qantas instead of BA?
  • malkie76
    Not sure I understand your point there. What is it you want to achieve ?
    Legal team on standby
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:54PM
    malkie76 wrote: »
    To mirror your analogy - would you want a tesco clubcard if you don't ever shop at tescos ? (Or use any of their products).

I cannot use or earn points from a Tesco Clubcard when shopping at Waitrose or Sainsbury's, whereas I can use and earn benefits of my BAEC card on any OW carrier or BA partners.

And as I keep stating, I do fly BA and use the associated benefits from my BAEC membership when I do.
  • malkie76
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:59PM
    I know you do, which is why my point isn't directed at you. That is sort of central to the point I'm making.

[edit]

Going back through the thread it was PeacefulWaters who said they wanted status with BA but doesn't use them. I asked why, to which they replied it was a low threshold for status (useable on other airlines). I've subsequently pointed out QF is easier/cheaper, but they haven't responded.
    Legal team on standby
  • malkie76 wrote: »
    I know you do, which is why my point isn't directed at you. That is sort of central to the point I'm making.

[edit]

Going back through the thread it was PeacefulWaters who said they wanted status with BA but doesn't use them. I asked why, to which they replied it was a low threshold for status (useable on other airlines). I've subsequently pointed out QF is easier/cheaper, but they haven't responded.
    Actually I said I obtained status without using them. I rarely travel east therefore Qatar offers little.

BA to Vegas later today.
  • malkie76
    So you've got status with an airline you use? Great. Completely makes my point. Oh, and QF is Qantas, not Qatar - but that's irrelevant as you don't need to fly on QF to gain status with them (and it's quicker, cheaper, easier than BA)
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport