computer help request

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I have a real problem with that company, they take advantage of people who are on very low incomes who do not have ability to really understand the finances or the impact.

They do the same thing with cookers, TV's, Fridges.

Fact is the people that shop is aiming at can get all they need from Freecycle, just not instantly.

Yes and because they do not carry out checks then the prices are that high as they take the risk, i would like to see their ratio of defaulters as i bet it is high.
  • angryparcel
    Sicard wrote: »
    It's not difficult as you so succinctly put it it's just mildly irritating when people take a particular os and treat it as though it's some kind of religious belief and spout on about 'I've never known such a wonderful creation in my entire life and I've never had any problems with it so everyone else must be wrong', whilst completely ignoring the fact that 100s (if not 1000s) of people have experienced problems.

I've already linked to my problem but here it is:

After reloading W10 due to it being unable to restore any points I then installed the huge Creative update after being told this would fix it which I believe the Autumn update caused the facility to restore defunct. Now I can't open any jpeg picture just by double-clicking on it. I can by opening a photo inside any viewing app program but not by double-clicking it. Even after making any app a default it still doesn't open the jpeg. The app default window springs up every time I tick the box and asks 'how do you want to open this file?' and I tick the 'always use this app to open jpeg files' box but nothing else happens apart from the desktop refreshing and the window opening again. I've run the troubleshooter for installed apps and it told me there is a problem. Then it told me 'not fixed'. I ran a sfc but there's nothing wrong.

I've tried the Powershell fix for photos but the problem remains. I've made Photos the default app in the settings too for opening photos but the problem remains. I've run the apps troubleshooter downloaded from M$ which said there was corruption and afterwards it said 'fixed'. But the problem remains.

Any ideas?
    but the fact is some people like it and some people hate it, just like every OS, because you have issues does not mean everyone has issues.
    My PC is 10 year old and runs win 10 perfectly without any issues.
    I have win 10 Pro 15063.296 installed
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's not difficult as you so succinctly put it it's just mildly irritating when people take a particular os and treat it as though it's some kind of religious belief and spout on about 'I've never known such a wonderful creation in my entire life and I've never had any problems with it so everyone else must be wrong',
    Mmmmm, so evangelising over Windows 7 doesn't count then?
    Pointing out that the problem isn't a universal one, isn't treating it 'like some kind of religious belief'. I have machines with W10 and W7. I've had problems with both, but, managed to sort them eventually.
    If you don't agree then fine, but, getting stressed on a forum isn't going to do you any good.
    You haven't said, if you did apologies for missing it, have you tried a clean install?
    Yes, I know you shouldn't have to, but, sometimes needs etc...
    I note that this problem has been experienced on other variations of windows.
    What happens when you right click and choose 'Open with' then try double click?
    I don't have an answer to your specific problem, sorry, but, I'll mess around for a while and see if I can find anything to help. That said, I'm sure your knowledge of the inner workings is better than mine.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • angryparcel
    an issue that happens to loads of scripts and not just OS is when installing/upgrading sometimes files are missing, this can happen due to minor interruptions during installation/upgrading that you may not notice (considering win 10 takes a few hrs to install/upgrade this is the most obvious reason) so a fresh install is the best option.
  • angryparcel
    It's not difficult as you so succinctly put it it's just mildly irritating when people take a particular os and treat it as though it's some kind of religious belief and spout on about 'I've never known such a wonderful creation in my entire life and I've never had any problems with it so everyone else must be wrong', whilst completely ignoring the fact that 100s (if not 1000s) of people have experienced problems.

I've already linked to my problem but here it is:

After reloading W10 due to it being unable to restore any points I then installed the huge Creative update after being told this would fix it which I believe the Autumn update caused the facility to restore defunct. Now I can't open any jpeg picture just by double-clicking on it. I can by opening a photo inside any viewing app program but not by double-clicking it. Even after making any app a default it still doesn't open the jpeg. The app default window springs up every time I tick the box and asks 'how do you want to open this file?' and I tick the 'always use this app to open jpeg files' box but nothing else happens apart from the desktop refreshing and the window opening again. I've run the troubleshooter for installed apps and it told me there is a problem. Then it told me 'not fixed'. I ran a sfc but there's nothing wrong.

I've tried the Powershell fix for photos but the problem remains. I've made Photos the default app in the settings too for opening photos but the problem remains. I've run the apps troubleshooter downloaded from M$ which said there was corruption and afterwards it said 'fixed'. But the problem remains.

Any ideas?
    maybe this will help you
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/double-click-will-not-open-image-files-must-right/c542451f-c7f2-4823-b9a6-37f94220c26b
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 June 2017 at 4:06PM
    Tiexen wrote: »
    I'd forget all the above and buy one of these (I did) @£500

Looks good, only one plug, 1 box will do everything you want.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3A67EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP

HP 22-b030na All-in-One (White)
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • Intel® Core™ i3-6100U processor
    • 54.6 cm (21.5") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display
    • 8GB RAM and 1TB storage
    • USB Keyboard and Mouse

Repairability is very low, if you don't get a screen, you cannot even test with another monitor to test the screen. You cannot perform a very basic simple diagnostics. I am not happy about it. Computer is not a black box.

Upgradability is very low, this PC never expect users to replace a sluggish hard disk to an SSD in 10-15 min for instance. Basically this is same as a shield TV. If any problem, dump it ? I really do not like this kind of disposable IT business.

At 2017, a brand new computer without an SSD (option) means that categorically, I would say, RIPPING OFF!

You cannot find an SSD preinstalled brand new computer at reasonable price? Then, DON'T BUY IT. There is alternative. Save money, better performance, understand computer basic confidently ?

Lucky enough, we have got some hard-core:rotfl: MSE computer experts here. Ask them until you understand fully. :beer:
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    but the fact is some people like it and some people hate it, just like every OS, because you have issues does not mean everyone has issues.
    My PC is 10 year old and runs win 10 perfectly without any issues.
    I have win 10 Pro 15063.296 installed

I believe you, I really do.
    RumRat wrote: »
    Mmmmm, so evangelising over Windows 7 doesn't count then?
    Pointing out that the problem isn't a universal one, isn't treating it 'like some kind of religious belief'. I have machines with W10 and W7. I've had problems with both, but, managed to sort them eventually.
    If you don't agree then fine, but, getting stressed on a forum isn't going to do you any good.
    You haven't said, if you did apologies for missing it, have you tried a clean install?
    Yes, I know you shouldn't have to, but, sometimes needs etc...
    I note that this problem has been experienced on other variations of windows.
    What happens when you right click and choose 'Open with' then try double click?
    I don't have an answer to your specific problem, sorry, but, I'll mess around for a while and see if I can find anything to help. That said, I'm sure your knowledge of the inner workings is better than mine.

Ah, but I haven't banged on about it like some pulpit-basher like you and you W10 worshipping mates/multi-usernames.

Who said I was getting stressed? I said I was mildy irritated.

I tried the right-click thingy but still no go.

Thanks for the offer but it's not a huge problem. In the bigger picture terrorists attacks and British politics are probably more important issues to resolve.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Any ideas?

Open regedit

go here : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell

Inside shell, create a new key called openwpv

On the right side, double click the new key (default) and put a suitable name, eg Open with Windows Photo Viewer

Now, under OPENWPV, create a new key called command
    Set its value to

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1

Again under OPENWPV, create a new key called DropTarget

On the right side, create new string CLSID and set its value to {FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}

Now, when you RIGHT click a picture file, you will get the option "Open with Windows Photo Viewer" Or whatever you called it in step 1.

Hope that helps a bit
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I believe you, I really do.

Ah, but I haven't banged on about it like some pulpit-basher like you and you W10 worshipping mates/multi-usernames.

Who said I was getting stressed? I said I was mildy irritated.

I tried the right-click thingy but still no go.

Thanks for the offer but it's not a huge problem. In the bigger picture terrorists attacks and British politics are probably more important issues to resolve.
    You'll be popping off to a forum about Terrorist attacks and British politics then?
    Seems you've run out of anything to say and have resorted to insults.
    A bit meaningless on an anonymous forum, but, if it's what you need to get through the day, more power to you.
    I hope you resolve your problem, Andy's advice seems like it could help. Good luck.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    RumRat wrote: »
    You'll be popping off to a forum about Terrorist attacks and British politics then?
    Seems you've run out of anything to say and have resorted to insults.
    A bit meaningless on an anonymous forum, but, if it's what you need to get through the day, more power to you.
    I hope you resolve your problem, Andy's advice seems like it could help. Good luck.

Silly boy. Go and have a rum and take your sniping with you.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport