A little worried I'm going to get ripped off?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dont go through your life worrying about things that might happen. Most of the time they dont....

And dont run on odd tyres. One nearing the end of its life out of four might be just the one that kills you.

Now you have really got something to worry about.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Once you've sorted this out you probably need need to build up an emergency fund. If the tyres need replacing it won't cut a lot of ice telling the police that you can't afford to replace them.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Stretched timing belt LOL 1.2 corsa has a chain not belt. A decent machanic would not talk in that tone. Don't let them rip you off.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    It was about 28,000/29,000 when I got it and I've got it to about 32,000 now if not 33k. It's not an awful lot but the mechanic said the timing belt stretches a lot in those cars, but that's an expensive job so he'd rather rule it out, and tested the clutch and said it's all in order. So he's running the service to change the oil, filters and advised me not to run supermarket fuel through the system either. Him and myself are hoping that it'll be fixed up in the service :)

That's very low mileage for 5 years, the sort of mileage that would set alarm bells ringing for me (ticking time bomb etc).
    It may just need a good thrashing to clear it out, there is probably so much carbon built up in there that it's causing misfiring and all sorts.

Many years ago several car manufacturers had issues with sticking valves, caused basically by excessive conservative low mileage driving.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ha ha, many years ago, i remember having a Morris car, one of them with a split front window, with a choke inside the car that you had to hold out with a clothes peg, and you had to time it as to when you suddenly removed this peg....

Them were they days//// thank God they have gone and will not return....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    McKneff wrote: »
    Dont go through your life worrying about things that might happen. Most of the time they dont....

And dont run on odd tyres. One nearing the end of its life out of four might be just the one that kills you.

Now you have really got something to worry about.

Your being a bit dramatic
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    McKneff wrote: »
    ha ha, many years ago, i remember having a Morris car, one of them with a split front window, with a choke inside the car that you had to hold out with a clothes peg, and you had to time it as to when you suddenly removed this peg....

Them were they days//// thank God they have gone and will not return....

Ahhh the clothes peg for the choke, a missed business opportunity i think...
    Then the automatic choke came, which either worked very well or had the neighbours curtain twitching to see if your car was going to start today or not.

Not to fear you could buy a manual conversion kit which often had the choke as fully on or fully off with just a mere 0.01mm of movement.

I used to have 2 cars just in case one didnt start :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• My aunty thought it was for hanging her handbag on . . .
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    So it's 2011 Corsa. What model and engine size please?

Check out this forum for information:
    http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/timing-chain-39309.html?

Corsa D, Limited Edition and a 1.2 Petrol
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    He didn't rip me off, I paid more than I thought but it's all about right. He told me the spark plugs in it were the default ones the car was built with and they were rusted solid, as well as everything feels so much nicer to drive. But he has confirmed I need a new timing chain.

JCT600 ripped us off initially with the car and promised a full service and everything and have lied and we're constantly discovering faults with the car. The timing chain could just be ware and tear but after the way they've been treating us over the past few months with other faults, it wouldn't surprise me if it is their fault
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure