• lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Thanks for this, wow......
  • pks00
    pks00 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Nice find, nice post. Thanks so much :T
    :hello:

Surviving A Day In The Office
    9am Switch on PC, 9.05am - Check Email, 9.10am - Download Virus, 9.30am - Call Helpdesk, 10am - Relax all day whilst engineer fixes problem!

Shopping Tips
    Don't spend five pounds to dry clean a shirt. Donate it to the charity shop instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning buy it back for two pounds.
  • Skyhigh
    Skyhigh Posts: 332 Forumite
    Just a side note, if you're at University and cannot afford software then suggest to your CS department to join Microsofts Academic Alliance. (MSDNAA).

My university is part of it, we get alot of free software, VS2003, 2005, 2005beta, 5 versions of XP, Server 2000, server 2004, one note, NT, NT 4.0, Windows 98se, 98, SQL server, etc, etc, etc.
    Tens of thousands of pounds worth really.

Mind you, it does mean selling your soul to MS :o(
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Skyhigh wrote:
    Just a side note, if you're at University and cannot afford software then suggest to your CS department to join Microsofts Academic Alliance. (MSDNAA).

My university is part of it, we get alot of free software, VS2003, 2005, 2005beta, 5 versions of XP, Server 2000, server 2004, one note, NT, NT 4.0, Windows 98se, 98, SQL server, etc, etc, etc.

Or you can just buy the academic version of the software which is about 10% of the cost of the full retail price. I bought the academic version of VS 2003 (which is a superset of VS Pro) for about £70. I was allowed to as I'm a scool governor and was using it for the school's website.
    Can I help?
  • shane8960
    shane8960 Posts: 827 Forumite
    One hefty download (not far off 500mb) but its not often you get something for free from microsoft without there being a catch!

I lossed my copy of Visual Baisc from when I was at school, so just downloading this now.

Only 2 hours left :o
  • shane8960
    Ok, I have just download and installed this (No wonder its 450mb its bundled with MSDN Library and some Microsoft Server thing) and everything I have opened so far which was created in Visual Basic 6 will not upgrade - It just gives loads of errors? Any ideas?

Shane
  • robin123_2
    robin123_2 Posts: 209 Forumite
    Can you compile with Visual Basic Express?
  • shane8960
    Yeah you can compile with Express, but 99% of the stuff from visual basic 6 "updates" with errors, and then cant be compiled.
  • rharper83
    rharper83 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Skyhigh wrote:

If there are any students here who want to get your CS department to sign up, pm me and I'll help to badger them too! I'm a Microsoft Student Partner so can put them directly in touch with the person responsible at MS! :) Hope that helps someone!!

Oh, and if you want some fun things to do with the Visual Studio Express products, have a look at :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun

There's a few little suggestions on there :)
  • Quaint1
    Quaint1 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Many thanks for this - I just found it, and I'm downloading as I type this! - a quick note; the OP link takes you to a page stating that the 'Free' offer is only until November 7th 2006 - this is now incorrect, as according to the pricing FAQ in April 2006, the Free price was fixed permanently. Microsoft whould really correct that first page, but I'm guessing they have other, Vista shaped, things on their collective mind at the moment!
    Au Res.,
    Paul
    Au Res.,
    Paul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business