How does Expired MOT affect insurance claim?

Comments

• kwizzy
    kwizzy Posts: 19 Forumite
    Does anyone know what is likely to happen insurance-wise with a car which is a write-off following an accident? The car was roadworthy but my elderly friend had just lost track of the MOT date because of problems at home with sick husband. The crash was driver error (admitted) and my friend will not drive again now but is afraid that she will be sued for all her worldly goods. The insurance company is Saga (they have just asked for car docs including MOT and don't know yet) and we don't know how to respond.
    Any info or advice gratefully received.
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    If the vehicle is written off she will get a lower value for the car, typically the trade in value you would expect from a dealer. The insurer's motor engineer will check the car for roadworthiness. Only issue you might have is if there is a defect on the car that would have been picked up by the MOT, that contributed directly to the accident. For example, failed brake components.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    If the car has no valid MOT then it invalidates any insurance she may have. It is the car owners responsibility to ensure that the car has a valid MOT and to say that your elderly friend lost track because of a sick husband is no excuse.

No MOT means no insurance.
  • mattymoo
    Horace, go back and read the thread again. Lack of MOT does not invalidate insurance.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    mattymoo wrote: »
    Horace, go back and read the thread again. Lack of MOT does not invalidate insurance.

Mattymoo - my partner was caught with no MOT - he had forgotten to get it renewed and was actually nobbled by the Police because they had done a check on their computer and he was done for having no MOT and no insurance (despite him having fully comprehensive car insurance that was up to date).

I offered an opinion that is all... I thought that was what this forum was about but hey if not, I shall go elsewhere and not proffer advice on here again.
  • mattymoo
    Sorry Horace. Did they say why it resulted in no insurance? Although both are vehicle related the absence of an MOT should not automatically invalidate insurance.
    MOT only proves car is roadworthy on day of test.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Horace wrote: »
    Mattymoo - my partner was caught with no MOT - he had forgotten to get it renewed and was actually nobbled by the Police because they had done a check on their computer and he was done for having no MOT and no insurance (despite him having fully comprehensive car insurance that was up to date).

I offered an opinion that is all... I thought that was what this forum was about but hey if not, I shall go elsewhere and not proffer advice on here again.

Horace,

The difference was the your Partner was caught by the Police with no MOT. The OP simply forgot to renew the MOT by a day and hasn't been caught by any official. They could simply renew the MOT and if asked to present it they could present a new certificate. Most insurers would presume that the MOT ran concurrently with the expired MOT.
    The man without a signature.
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    By allowing the MOT to lapse (and subsequently the Tax as well I think) you have clearly breached page 20 section 3 of the policy- keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition
    Horace wrote: »
    If the car has no valid MOT then it invalidates any insurance she may have. It is the car owners responsibility to ensure that the car has a valid MOT and to say that your elderly friend lost track because of a sick husband is no excuse.

Utter codswallop.

peter999
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    Not having an MOT is an offence but IIRC is isn't an endorsable offence.
    The man without a signature.
  • Horace wrote: »

no, that's wrong, lack of MOT does not invalidate your isurance cover. The other posts on here about potential reduction in value of car are correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure