Self Assessment - Where do I put Mileage Allowance Relief?

Hi all,

My company have given me less than the 40p per mile so I wish to claim mileage relief. I was advised that this now needs to go on my self assessment form - but I can't see where...

I've tried to put it in the Excess Mileage section but it states I owe money not they owe me?? I then used a '-' sign but was told I couldn't.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Ta :o

Comments

• It sounds as though you are using the Revenue's online software.

I'm not sure how this works as I use a third party's program but the phrase "excess mileage" appears in box 1.15 on the employment supplement. This box relates to payments above the 40p per mile limit.

You need to enter your claim in the section which corresponds to box 1.32 on page 2 of the employment schedule. This is headed "Travel and subsistence costs" under "Expenses you incurred in doing your job".

Does this help you find the right section?
    If it’s not important to you, don’t consume it
  • Thank you, yes I am using the online software so...

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

:confused:
  • Thank you - I worked out the Mileage allowance relief and placed in this box and it worked.
  • Try www.incometaxplanningtips.com for free help on this topic
    itsnowtime wrote: »
    Hi all,

My company have given me less than the 40p per mile so I wish to claim mileage relief. I was advised that this now needs to go on my self assessment form - but I can't see where...

I've tried to put it in the Excess Mileage section but it states I owe money not they owe me?? I then used a '-' sign but was told I couldn't.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Ta :o
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • cheekoo
    cheekoo Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks. I was struggling with this for the last few days , saw this post, tried the same and it worked fine for me.
  • andyo1970
    andyo1970 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did!

Immediately after I found Security Tool on my PC and had to remove it with Spybot. Malwarebytes would also remove this if you find yourself in the same position.

May not be the link - but its too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Andy

:beer:
  • Hi,
    I am trying to fill in an online self assessment for my mileage claim. I have asked the helpline number at HMRC and they were unsuccessful in helping me out. This is the 1st time i have had to do this, as previously filled in a P85. Is there a simple guide i could follow as to what sections i need to fill in and what info i need to input?

Thanks
    Ian
  • TSH
    TSH Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hello, I am unable to see when conmleting my return, where box 1.15 is on the employment supplement, (or indeed the employment supplement!). Please can you tell me the key strokes from Self Assessment onwards to finding this field ? Many thanks, Toby.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure