Get Nectar points on every small spend + 20,000 free

This is good news.

I’ve never really bothered about collecting loyalty points until quite recently and I have stumbled across a way to get a decent amount of Nectar points quickly and daily moving forward.

The best way to build them is to get an American Express Nectar credit card, it pays 1 point for every pound spent on it.

Most people know that hardly any stores accept AMEX so until now I haven’t had one.

However, AMEX works with Apple and Android Pay, so if you connect it to that, you can gain 1pt per £1 at any store that uses contactless (all stores that offer contactless also accept Apple/Android Pay, but even the store may not know that)

So every small payment I pay for the 12 months this card is fee free for I will use Apple/Android Pay.

Also, if you use it to pay at a Nectar retailer like Sainsbury’s you get 4pts per £1 spend

Also, if you use your Amex as a normal credit card and spend £2000 in the first 3 months they will give you 20,000 nectar points (Worth £100)

You may think again, no one accepts Amex, but Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Uber, Amazon and many more do, so with a little effort, maybe asking family/friends if they need anything from Amazon over the next three months to ask you to put it on your card and pay you the money.

Comments

• Great advice! Thanks :)
  • allyant
    allyant Posts: 12 Forumite
    I am not sure what you mean - Adding your Amex card to Apple Pay or Android pay will not make it work with any store that accepts contactless, the store still needs to accept Amex Cards.

I have had an Amex for 2-3 years, they are accepted in most major shops/restaurants, couldn't fault them would recommend them 100%.
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2018 at 8:59PM
    The problem is, a Nectar point is worth very little compared to say, a Clubcard or Amex MR point and redemption opportunities are limited, so it's a bit of a waste of time collecting them in this manner. Nectar is only worth the time it if you shop in Sainsburys and can get those x00 bonus points coupons to print out like confetti.

That said, the sign up bonus is worthwhile as you get £100 worth of points. Just make sure you pay off the card in full every month, as the interest rate will wipe out the value of any points you accrue and then some.
  • *Avoid Sainsbury's credit card*

I decided to finally sort out my credit card debt by getting a zero percent balance transfer credit card based on Martin's recommendations. Sainsbury's wouldn't do a balance transfer on the full amount so I took out two credit cards, the other being MBNA. My old credit card had notified me that the interest rate was due to be increased the following month, so wanted to make sure all transfers were completed before then.

MBNA were marvellous I had my new card and balance transferred within 7 working days. 3 weeks later I'm still waiting for Sainsbury's to do the balance transfer. I only received the credit card yesterday! As a consequent I'm now paying a huge amount of interest on my old credit card this month and Sainsbury's is charging double the amount of transfer fee than the other bank! I would estimate they have cost me atleast £400 overall this month.

My advice to anyone is don't ever get a card with Sainsbury's if you want a 21st century service and do your own research on Martin's recommendations. If I had done that I would have seen the many bad reviews Sainsburys financial services has had.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure