Driving colleague's cars in work carpark

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    if its on private land is it criminal? You don't need to be taxed or insured etc to drive on private land surely?

It might be private land but if delivery vehicle use the location it maybe a public place. Tax won't be needed bu insurance will.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    if its on private land is it criminal? You don't need to be taxed or insured etc to drive on private land surely?

That has been discussed already in this thread. The key point is whether the car park is accesible by the public, and it seems likely that it is.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »
    And in both examples the car owner could be charged with causing or permitting driving without insurance: 6 points again.

That's more likely to come back on whoever holds (and hands out) the keys in the office.

Leaving the keys in the office doesn't necessarily equate to permission for uninsured others to drive the car but, by handing keys out, the office is directly permitting use, and they should be checking for appropriate insurance first.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    But your employer cannot indemnify you against criminal charges.

Indeed. I had not assumed the OP was intending any criminal activity, more protection against any accidental damage he may cause :)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It might be private land but if delivery vehicle use the location it maybe a public place. Tax won't be needed bu insurance will.

That's why I like the fact I am insured to "also drive, with the owner's permission, a motor car not owned by the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a leasing or hire purchase agreement, as long as the motor car has valid cover in force under another insurance policy."

and

"Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence."

:)

However, I am not insured for business purposes.
    Whilst this may or may not be considered "business purposes", I would not seek to use my insurance cover in any event to protect me for carrying out duties as instructed by my employer.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    footyguy wrote: »
    That's why I like the fact I am insured to "also drive, with the owner's permission, a motor car not owned by the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a leasing or hire purchase agreement, as long as the motor car has valid cover in force under another insurance policy."

and

"Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence."

:)

However, I am not insured for business purposes.
    Whilst this may or may not be considered "business purposes", I would not seek to use my insurance cover in any event to protect me for carrying out duties as instructed by my employer.

You do appreciate that when driving under that cover the car you are driving has no cover at all?

Driving under your cover just means you have third party cover.

Any damage you cause to the car you are driving is down to you to sort out with the owner
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you work in the middle of nowhere there must be a million and one spaces to park...uless it is a narrow one vehicle track for miles...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Quentin wrote: »
    You do appreciate that when driving under that cover the car you are driving has no cover at all?

Driving under your cover just means you have third party cover.

Any damage you cause to the car you are driving is down to you to sort out with the owner

Yes, indeed, I know that. As you say, it covers me "third party" which is sufficient to meet the requirements of the RTA. :)
    (So hopefully no criminal act occurs simply by my driving the vehicle)

I also know it does not cover me should I cause any accidental damage to the car I am driving, hence why I suggest if the employer requires me to drive such a vehicle, they also provide appropriate indemnity should I damage it accidentally. :)

But everyone, please don't worry about me - I'm not the one here seeking help and advice.
    The OP is ;)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    In Singapore parking is in very short supply and one solution I was told about was to park without engaging the handbrake. People just pushed cars up or down to make needed room without the keys. Could this work for you and your colleagues?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Car share?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts