would you use old bank account after 5 years?

I have a RBS current account that I have not used for 5 years with a balance of £0.00.

Due to my current bank (BoS) having closed branches I now need to take 2 buses, due to lack of parking, to get to the nearest branch to deposit a cheque, whereas my old RBS bank has a branch on the outskirts that has plenty of parking.

Should I just roll up in my car and deposit the cheque then use internet banking, if it still works, to transfer the money to my BoS account?
over 73 but not over the hill.

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Why don't you try to log onto the internet banking first, to see if the RBS account is still open? It may have been closed due to being dormant.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    r2015 wrote: »
    Should I just roll up in my car and deposit the cheque then use internet banking, if it still works, to transfer the money to my BoS account?
    Sure, why not? Alternatively there are accounts that accept cheque deposits by post.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2017 at 5:38PM
    You will need an RBS debit card and card reader to create a new payee for your BOS account in your RBS digital banking.

You can set up a new payee in the RBS mobile banking app without a card and reader but payments are limited to £250 if the payee is not set up in RBS digital banking
  • Another option would be to pay the cheque into your BOS account at your local post office (needs the right paying in slip and envelope).
  • RG2015
    Another option would be to pay the cheque into your BOS account at your local post office (needs the right paying in slip and envelope).
    I forgot that option which is a bit duh! as that's what I always do now.

I believe that post offices keep a stock of paying in envelopes for all of the major banks.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If it's a current account, it may be dormant if you have done nothing for 12 months. Any transactions (including asking for a balance) should prevent that from happening. If the account isn't dormant you should be able to use it without any problems. If you don't remember your PIN, or internet banking log in details, lost card reader etc get them reset and you should be good to go :-)

If the account is dormant you'd need to speak to RBS and check if it can be made active again. You may need to open a new account, I'm not sure.

If you can log in to the internet banking, you could try transferring £2 to RBS from the Bank of Scotland account and send £1 back again as a test transaction to see if it works okay?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have a RBS current account that I have not used for 5 years with a balance of £0.00.

Due to my current bank (BoS) having closed branches I now need to take 2 buses, due to lack of parking, to get to the nearest branch to deposit a cheque, whereas my old RBS bank has a branch on the outskirts that has plenty of parking.

Why don't you just transfer your BOS account to RBS?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

As far as I know, most banks accept cheque deposits via the Post Office. But you need deposit slips and envelopes supplied by your bank.

On the question, I keep old bank accounts active with one credit and one direct debit per month for the sake of my credit history.
  • RG2015 wrote: »
    I forgot that option which is a bit duh!
    Did you also forget the option of paying a cheque in at a RBS machine? We have one at our Tesco Extra.
  • RG2015
    edited 10 October 2017 at 12:17PM
    Did you also forget the option of paying a cheque in at a RBS machine? We have one at our Tesco Extra.
    I think you may be confusing me with the OP :).

In any case my nearest Tesco/RBS machine is 5 miles away whereas my nearest post office is only 500 yards away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure