Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• murphydavid
    Options
    Holly_24 wrote: »
    I currently have a current account and cash ISA (believe £20,000) however the interest is poor and I'm looking to put into a higher current account. My question is would I transfer my isa into my current account and do a switch or do I need to do this a different way? I also want to set up a Help to Buy once I get my head around my current account. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    If you want to retain money from a previous years ISA you need to do a direct transfer. The bank you are transfering to does it, check their proceedure. This will allow you to retain your allowance for this year to pay into a help to buy ISA.
    For the existing money with the new tax laws ? (relatively new). You might want to check if an ISA is your best option. With £20000 a santander 123 current account might pay more interest if you qualify to transfer your current account to them.
    See paragraph 2 here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa
  • Scarlett
    Scarlett Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do all UK banks have horrendously slow transaction processing times? I find that I often have to wait a few days for a debit card transaction to show up on my account, and my balance and my available funds are completely different figures. This is in complete contrast with my New Zealand accounts, where transactions are processed instantaneously.

Is there a UK bank which operates differently? Or am I better off trying to manage my finances through something like Monzo?
  • Holly_24
    Options
    I've just been wondering if a cash isa is worth it anymore. Have a current account with Halifax and cash isa with them too with just over £6,000.
    Is it worth combining the amounts to a higher interest current account and then have a help to buy isa?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just been wondering if a cash isa is worth it anymore. Have a current account with Halifax and cash isa with them too with just over £6,000.
    Is it worth combining the amounts to a higher interest current account and then have a help to buy isa?

Have you read this?

If not, I suggest you do;)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
  • murphydavid
    Options
    If you qualify for a help to buy (ie you intend to buy a house and its your first one) and you are saving for a deposie that you won't raid to buy something else then I think its the only place you will get that sort of low risk return. Although due to the way the capital is built up slowly and the governments hand out being a one off at the end of the investment its not quite as enticing as it might first appear. Its so easy to be enticed by the %ages (25% wow) but you need to calculate how much actual money you will get and how much of your time it takes. As for the lump sum that is waiting to be paid in you will have to do the maths. If its 6000 (not 20000) and you open the isa with max deposit I think you are talking in range of £40 a year or less on the remaining lump sum so it could be worth going for some free cash for transfering to another current account if you can qualify.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grintricha wrote: »
    it's worth noting that here is the list of stuff you need to remember
    <Snip>
    am I unreasonable for wanting things to be simpler? I get that it needs to be secure but 12 different things? really?
    Write those 12 things on a piece of paper, along with other random things, so it doesn't look like a bank's security details, then put the paper in a secure place (not a sticky note on your monitor), for when you need to phone or use the app.
    Alternatively get a secure password manager program, and store those details there, protected by a master password that you can remember.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Free password safe
    https://keepass.info
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Did you get the duplicitous 'simply keep using your card..' email that tried to get you to misunderstand that the offer continued?

Yes, seemed a bit disingenuous.

Also the fact they credited each cashback individually was quite annoying, on an account with minimal transactions it took a lot more effort to scroll down through the numerous pennies credit to then ad the purchases together and work out how much I'd spent and needed to spend.

I'm currently in holiday but on returning I'll have lost the TSB 5% debit card as well as this offer, slim pickings for debit and credit card cashback currently.

Probably apply for another Amex cashback before Crimbo as I close the old account at Easter and believe they'll offer a new deal after six months.
  • Neo08
    Neo08 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just clicked the link for the First Direct Current Account on the Best Bank Accounts page, and notice that the landing page states that there is a £100 switching bonus, not the £125 mentioned on MSE

Does anybody know if I was to apply, I would get the £125 (not £100)?

I'm jut wondering it the offer of the extra £25 has been pulled

Thanks!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Neo08 wrote: »
    Just clicked the link for the First Direct Current Account on the Best Bank Accounts page, and notice that the landing page states that there is a £100 switching bonus, not the £125 mentioned on MSE

Does anybody know if I was to apply, I would get the £125 (not £100)?

I'm jut wondering it the offer of the extra £25 has been pulled

Thanks!
    It shows £125 for me. Did you click the one with the asterisk? If yes, then maybe try deleting cookies and click again?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback