PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Need2bethrifty - has distinct feeling I won't manage to stay awake long enough to watch that last episode of Dr Foster either.....

But.....a combination of Iplayer bringing up tv programmes for me on my computer and the fact that I recently swopped my pc monitor from standard and small size to large and whatever-technical-interior-bits and bobs Mr Computer Man explained to me as being necessary to be able to see darker tv shots normally on a pc screen and that's that sorted:T. I'll watch it tomorrow if need be. I was previously watching programmes I'd missed on Iplayer etc - and just standing up to see screen from a different angle for bits that were too "dark and moody" to be able to see clearly sitting at a p.c. screen.

There's a theme right now in the series I'm currently watching - Dr Foster, Liar and Victoria - all 3 feature strong determined women LOL.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Maybe hock was a Northern thing? We never had it, not that mum would ever do that type of cooking, but my Nan would and we never had that there at all.
    Yes I think it might be - pease pudding and all those regional dishes spring to mind. Certainly popular in many guises here in Scotland:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,222 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the HM soup was flushed away this afternoon.:j
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Holly/Farway - stop talking about Stollen I love the stuff and can't get to Lidl/Aldi to get any:( and I want some (in the next 10 mintes would be fab;))
    It is my one Christmas food love. This is the one thing that makes me forgive shops having all their Christmast goodies out at the end of September. I'll have a fair amount of it between now and Christmas.

I always find it hard to get hold of by the second week of December around here. Everywhere seems to have sold out by then :(.
  • caronc
    Options
    It is my one Christmas food love. This is the one thing that makes me forgive shops having all their Christmast goodies out at the end of September. I'll have a fair amount of it between now and Christmas.

I always find it hard to get hold of by the second week of December around here. Everywhere seems to have sold out by then :(.
    It's pretty high up my list as well:D
  • caronc
    Options
    Oh no Tesco have their Stollen in.......and on SO as well so I might need to get two!
    OK a Stollen & a Christmas pud have jumped into my virtual basket:o
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    booths also have stollen in
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need2bethrifty - has distinct feeling I won't manage to stay awake long enough to watch that last episode of Dr Foster either.....

But.....a combination of Iplayer bringing up tv programmes for me on my computer and the fact that I recently swopped my pc monitor from standard and small size to large and whatever-technical-interior-bits and bobs Mr Computer Man explained to me as being necessary to be able to see darker tv shots normally on a pc screen and that's that sorted:T. I'll watch it tomorrow if need be. I was previously watching programmes I'd missed on Iplayer etc - and just standing up to see screen from a different angle for bits that were too "dark and moody" to be able to see clearly sitting at a p.c. screen.

There's a theme right now in the series I'm currently watching - Dr Foster, Liar and Victoria - all 3 feature strong determined women LOL.

I had to watch last weeks episode on iplayer, but managed to see most of last nights (did nod off a one point) but how sad, didn't see that ending coming.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That celery/broccoli and cashewnut soup is gorgeous, all it had in was that 2/3 head of celery and a small head of broccoli cashews and 2 garlic cloves and veg stock. It really was lovely, thick and creamy. My liquidiser made short work of creaming it. The three portions are just the right size for me, not too large and was totally satisfying with some crispy sourdough toast. Its ok to leave in the fridge for today and tomorrow, no milk in it and no meat stock. Its a brilliant start tbh, from that book. Next one will be cauliflower and chives. I am off to sainsburys later and will get a few bits that I normally don`t have in the fridge, just the add ons for more soup because I was well impressed. The best bit was the satisfying tummy feeling that I had the whole evening

Obviously soup at last meal, bean ratatouille with some halloumi for lunch, followed by all my treats in one very gorgeous pud, chocolate cake, berry compote and soya cream. Had that yeaterday and no cravings at all the rest of the day

Porridge and dried fruit for breakfast, the sweet syrup had drained down, so I just picked some fruits out to warm in the porridge, was nice

I managed to stay awake last night by getting some new compicated fair isle knitting out, just a hat but just casting on and getting it onto dpns was enough and the interesting health hour was on LBC from 9-10. Phew, I managed it, to stay awake, I had a nap in the afternoon and didn`t want to ruin my sleep even more

oh no, not stollen, oh no. I am definitely not stocking up on `just in case` goodies this year, I am the one who ate them all last christmas. I think I will be on a wing and a prayer this year, one dd has already asked me over, I am very happy, I will only go for the day as I prefer my own bed but at least it will stop the neighbours asking if I am going anywhere. I hate that, I know it is kind but it is just another day for me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I`ve been good and planned my soup meal for every day and next tuesday I will be making real scotch broth with swede, mutton and barley and am so looking forward to that :). There are some lovely meal- in-a bowl soups in the book. I can`t believe that I have had that book for two years and never opened it. Got to go now and look see if I can find the pearl barley before I buy some more. Next one is caulie and chive, on sunday I am making celeriac and bacon. Most will be for two days, half quantity and some for three days. I will still be ploughing through the freezer but no more of that frenzied scrabbling as I will be cool calm and collected
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure