Being charged to leave Sky?

My year with Sky TV & broadband will be up in August and i intend to leave when BT put out a good TV & Infinity deal which may be August but it may be Sept/Oct/Nov instead. I've seen them put up here and there, then they come down and go back up so i just plan on timing it in line with an offer.

My wife said that someone she works with went to leave Sky and they did this in the second year and ended up getting charged for leaving as they had accepted another contract or something to that effect.

I thought your contract was your first 12 months, if you leave within that then you'll be charged but after that you're good to leave without charge (which like i say is what i plan on doing).

Can anyone shed light on it for me? Much appreciated.

Comments

• newatc
    newatc Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As long you have not agreed new contract by Sky then you will be OK.
    Often Sky will offer you a discount if you agree to a new contract (maybe without you realising) so if your prices haven't come down any time in the last 12mths then that could not have applied to you.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget you have to give Sky notice that you are going to leave even if you are out of contract.So if your contract ends at the end of August you would need to give notice at the end of July for your new BT contract to start at the beginning of September.

'Your cancellation period depends on the service. For example, a minimum 31 days’ notice is required to cancel Sky TV and a minimum 14 days for Sky Talk and Broadband.'

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My wife said that someone she works with went to leave Sky and they did this in the second year and ended up getting charged for leaving as they had accepted another contract or something to that effect.

I thought your contract was your first 12 months, if you leave within that then you'll be charged but after that you're good to leave without charge (which like i say is what i plan on doing).

Can anyone shed light on it for me? Much appreciated.

Did you not answer your own question there?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Probably not wise to worry about third hand reports of 'charges' to leave any particular company without knowing all the details, generally if inside a minimum term of a contract, providers will generally insist on early termination charges, if outside the minimum term, then the only obligation is to give the correct 'notice'..
    A problem can be when taking a bundle of services from one provider is that each element of the bundle may have different dates on which the minimum term expires, also, quite often taking up an 'offer' will result in a new minimum term, for example 50% off for 6 months probably would mean you are obliged to pay the next 6 months full price, and ETC's if you leave before the 12 month anniversary
  • iniltous wrote: »
    Probably not wise to worry about third hand reports of 'charges' to leave any particular company without knowing all the details, generally if inside a minimum term of a contract, providers will generally insist on early termination charges, if outside the minimum term, then the only obligation is to give the correct 'notice'..
    A problem can be when taking a bundle of services from one provider is that each element of the bundle may have different dates on which the minimum term expires, also, quite often taking up an 'offer' will result in a new minimum term, for example 50% off for 6 months probably would mean you are obliged to pay the next 6 months full price, and ETC's if you leave before the 12 month anniversary
    It probably isn't wise to take it as gospel but i think it is wise to at least listen to it.

Take this for example - i wasn't aware you need to give a months notice AFTER your 12 months is up. Sure it may be in T&Cs and sure there may be people here who read every word of every 10 page T&C detail but i didn't and yeah that's my fault but at least i've found out now ... because of this thread.

The thing is i don't actually know when i will leave Sky. It'll be depending on whenever BT release a good offer and i doubt the offer i pick will be around for a long time (31 days) so what'd be the best course of action there?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 12:07AM
    I wasn't aware you need to give a months notice AFTER your 12 months is up.
    The minimum term is a year, but cancellation requires one month's notice. You can give notice prior to the twelve months being up, but obviously your cancellation will only take effect when the year is up.
    That's a fairly standard contract term for all telcos.

As to your original question, the person your wife knows obviously signed up to a retention deal with a new minimum term. Anyone out-of-contract does NOT pay to leave. Anyone who attempts to leave while in contract pays an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fee.
  • That'll do then.

Still if my contract is up at the end of Aug and then BT do a decent deal say 1st October which will be available for [unknown time period], i could give the 31 days notice and then miss the deal (& be without any TV or internet, unless they let me cancel a cancellation)
    or i could just go ahead and switch but i imagine i'll be hit with some charge.

When the decent BT deals come out, coupled with cashback they are pretty decent deals so i guess i'll probably just have to accept the hit and switch.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    With phone/BB, usually the switch is done in about 14 days. But BT always seem to have deals on. They are like the ISP version of DFS!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    unless they let me cancel a cancellation
    It's extremely possible to cancel your cancellation!
    They'll welcome you "back" with open arms.

In the meantime, you might want to try cancelling regardless (come August) and see what deals Sky offer you tempting you to stay.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It probably isn't wise to take it as gospel but i think it is wise to at least listen to it.

Take this for example - i wasn't aware you need to give a months notice AFTER your 12 months is up. Sure it may be in T&Cs and sure there may be people here who read every word of every 10 page T&C detail but i didn't and yeah that's my fault but at least i've found out now ... because of this thread.

The thing is i don't actually know when i will leave Sky. It'll be depending on whenever BT release a good offer and i doubt the offer i pick will be around for a long time (31 days) so what'd be the best course of action there?
    There is only one company I've personally ever come across that doesn't require 30 days notice to cancel (Boxnation will cancel at the end of the currently paid month with no further charges).

http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/new/
    'To end your TV contract, you'll need to give us a minimum of 31 days' notice which cannot end before your minimum term.'

Of course you can set it to end on the final day of your minimum term if you give them the advance notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure