Do I have to go to the job centre to continue getting HB?

Harry_Benny
Harry_Benny Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 14 June 2017 at 8:40PM in Benefits & tax credits
For the last 3 years the council have been using miscellaneous income to calculate my housing benefit.

My income is less than the applicable amount that they use to calculate housing benefit.

I recently received a letter from the council saying that they think I can't live on my income, and that I might have some other source of income.

But I am perfectly capable of living on that amount as I am very frugal. And I don't have any other source of income, as they are suggesting.

The letter says that I should go to the job centre immediately, and that they will suspend my claim in a month if I don't provide evidence that I did so.

What I want to know is, is this true? Do I have to go to the job centre?

Or is this merely their suggestion worded strongly enough to make it seem like it's the only option?

Is going to the job centre the only way that they'll continue with my claim?

The reason I ask is because I may be able to increase my income so that it's at the applicable amount. However I don't see why they have an issue with the amount, since it is low enough. If it was from a part time job I'm sure they wouldn't be bothered. I think they just want me to get a job. But I am perfectly happy with my income, which comes from selling goods on ebay.

And what's their issue anyway? Is it that I have not sought work for so long (I know that you don't have to have a job to get HB)? Or is it that my income is lower than the applicable amount?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes you do need to attend the job centre if requested
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Harry_Benny
    edited 14 June 2017 at 8:59PM
    Why?

I am not a burden on the job centre. I would think that would be considered a good thing.

Besides, as I say I may be able to increase my income so that it's at the applicable amount.

Why should the council care where my income comes from?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    because by earning just enough you're costing the council your rent
  • Harry_Benny
    But that's the whole point of HB. To pay your rent if your income is low.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Just take your bank statements in for all your accounts and your tax return.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But that's the whole point of HB. To pay your rent if your income is low.

Your income is low because you actively choose not to work, the council are having to fund your choice. Your situation is vastly different to someone on a low wage.
  • Harry_Benny
    My income is a bit lower than the applicable amount. If my income came from a job I'm pretty sure they'd have no issue.
  • Harry_Benny
    Topcat,

I did. Their letter is in response.

I don't see what their problem is. I do have an income, but it's just not from a job. Why should they care about that?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Do you have a disability Harry, or is there any other reason you cannot work?

[STRIKE](Must not suggest wind up![/STRIKE])
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I recently received a letter from the council saying that they think I can't live on my income, and that I might have some other source of income.

And what's their issue anyway?

Their issue is that they suspect that you may be earning money that you are not declaring.

You have to prove that you are living off your tiny income if you want to continue to receive taxpayers' money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure