Harveys - delivered different sofa from order

We purchased a corner sofa and a 3 seater from Harveys early January 2017, wait time approx 7 weeks, Harveys were reasonably good in keeping contact, and order was received within 7 weeks. Delivered on 27 February 2017.

Delivery guys were good, all at first seems well - as they left my friend was here and I was showing her how the head rests are adjustable, BUT we got to the corner and the head rests were fixed! The sofa in the store had adjustable head rests on ALL backs of the sofa. At first thought i imagined it, hubby agreed with me, daughter agreed with me as we all saw sofa in store.

Looked online, couldnt find the model in a corner unit, so the next day went back to the store and there was the sofa in exactly the same place as when we ordered with all adjustable head rests!

I spoke to the assistant in the store who got the store manager who said "ah yes, the manufacturers have stopped producing that model with adjustable headrests" - this was done mid January apparently, but after our order was accepted.

He asked what our preference was either to take compensation and keep the sofa as is - or he 'may' be able to go to the manufacturer to get a new corner made as per our order. So we said we wanted the sofa we ordered. I was promised a phone call later that day, but he'd had 3 other customers replacement orders accepted so he was 'quietly confident', later that day received courtesy call to say due to time zones where sofa is made they would have to come back to me the next day, again next day another courtesy call to say still awaiting a response ..... fast forward a week no calls ..... so i telephoned Harveys yesterday, the same lady, didnt have a clue til i prompted her of my issue why i was calling, i appreciate she may get many issues to deal with, but after giving her my name, order number and she said 'yes i have your order in front of me, what can i help you with' i clearly wasnt on an awaiting call back list - she spluttered and said ah sorry thought the manager had called you, she needed to check emails and would come back to me, an hour later she came back to me to say the manufacturer has agreed to make our corner sofa as ordered, another lead time of 7-8 weeks, please free feel to use the corner as yours in the meantime!

So my question is, have we got any reclaim against Harveys for delivering the wrong spec sofa without informing us, I truly believe they were hoping we wouldnt notice. They said they are awaiting the new model to arrive in store, had the old model not still been in store, would they have ever told me!

We have paid (or will be paying for these goods) via their finance company, which we heard from as soon as the sofa was delivered, I know this is a separate company to Harveys - but have we any recall for any compensation via a mis-selling act or withholding information etc.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read our saga, but this has left a very sour taste, we viewed many many sofas and at first did wonder if we had confused this with another model - is that what Harveys were hoping.

If a couple of weeks after we placed our order, we were informed of model change, do we want to cancel, accept compensation etc, then that would be our choice, but to be delivered a sofa which was of a different spec, we find unacceptable!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, you are entitled to £1 million, and my cut for that advice will be 10%.

Really, you will be getting what you ordered, just a bit late. Until then you have a place to park your behind. Personally I wouldn't bother to take it any further, but if you kick up a fuss you may get Harveys to offer a small refund.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Besides compensation for the delivery day extra you have to take I'm not sure what else you think you'd be entitled to?

Harveys have a duty of care to put you back in the position you would have been prior to the contract breach, in this case they could have refunded your money and left you with nothing. I assume they let you sit on the wrong couch for the 7 weeks it will take to get the right couch in?
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    Yes, you are entitled to £1 million, and my cut for that advice will be 10%.

Really, you will be getting what you ordered, just a bit late. Until then you have a place to park your behind. Personally I wouldn't bother to take it any further, but if you kick up a fuss you may get Harveys to offer a small refund.

Sarcasm, yeah very amusing!

Yeah really, maybe I will get what I ordered, eventually, because I've had to ask, so i agree to pay thousands of pounds for goods for them to deliver the wrong thing and say nothing!

Im not one chasing after the compensation culture, but I ordered goods for a large retailer and expected to be delivered the goods I ordered, not have to ask and chase for the correct goods, when they knowlingly knew I was being delivered the wrong goods!
  • The replacement sofa will take 7-8 weeks. That's what you get with made to order items and problems arise.

They are leaving you with the incorrect sofa until the correct one is available and delivered. That is NOT an inconvenience. I assume they're not trying to charge for the delivery of the correct sofa?

You have no REAL proof that they were trying to deceive you. They have a large number of sofas with a large number of sales staff. You cannot expect them to remember every detail of every sofa. I wouldn't expect a PC World employee to know the intricate detail of every TV, Laptop and PC in the store!

Do remember that a lot of the people who work in these stores are paid little more than NMW with commission on top.

Use the sofa they delivered, sit back and relax.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sarcasm, yeah very amusing!

Yeah really, maybe I will get what I ordered, eventually, because I've had to ask, so i agree to pay thousands of pounds for goods for them to deliver the wrong thing and say nothing!

Im not one chasing after the compensation culture, but I ordered goods for a large retailer and expected to be delivered the goods I ordered, not have to ask and chase for the correct goods, when they knowlingly knew I was being delivered the wrong goods!

You need to keep this in perspective.

You ordered a corner sofa with adjustable headrest and one without the headrest was delivered. Mistakes happen and they have been very fair in trying to get you exactly what you ordered even though they are no longer in production. You opted for that resolution.

Once the correct unit is delivered you could ask them for something for having to have a second delivery. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights?_ga=1.29276213.861281255.1488972497
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds to me like you've got what you wanted - the sofa you expected to receive.

Yes you have to wait 6-7 weeks, but that'll fly by and you get to use the sofa in the meantime so not sitting on your garden furniture.

There's no compo to be had here. You ordered, they didn't deliver the right sofa, you told them, they're correcting it and you'll get what you ordered in 6-7 weeks.

That's what you call "good service" really.

Annoying, yes. Compo, no.

• Once the correct unit is delivered you could ask them for something for having to have a second delivery. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights?_ga=1.29276213.861281255.1488972497

Thank you, this is perfect, it was what i was looking for really.

We all work and have to arrange days off etc so will give this template letter a go - thankyou again
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

Im not one chasing after the compensation culture...

Well, in this case it seems pretty clear that is exactly what you are doing.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    . I wouldn't expect a PC World employee to know the intricate detail of every TV, Laptop and PC in the store!

Having worked for Currys and PC World...You'd be surprised.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    Well, in this case it seems pretty clear that is exactly what you are doing.

I know this is an open forum and your entitled to your opinion, just as I am - whether you agree or not is your entitlement - BUT to come out with statements like ' Yes, you are entitled to £1 million, and my cut for that advice will be 10%' - is stupid IMO of course

My opinion is Harvey's have delivered me the wrong sofa, without thinking to inform me, mistake or not, it is their mistake not mine, I've taken a days annual holiday to take delivery and now will have to take another day when they get the order right, so again IMO i feel peeved, sorry you dont agree with me - and if i can maybe claim back the delivery fee and get acknowledgement that I've had to take 2 days holiday for their mistake I will be happy with that.

I came on here to ask a reasonable question and expected a reasonable answer - maybe you have nothing better to do that give sarky answers .......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure