Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rob37uk wrote: »
    Just noticed that Monmouthshire have quietly reduced their Christmas Saver 2 from 2% inc bonus to just 1.75%. This occurred on 4th March but I was never informed in advance. It seems from their T&C's that they can get away with just posting the change online for rate reductions up to and including 0.25% - I will watch this outfit like a hawk - they are as bad as the Leeds.
    Why not do your christmas saving in a TSB Plus account?
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Westie983 wrote: »
    I have closed a Lloyds classic account for an incentive so not sure I can get another one for six months

Did they tell you you need to wait 6 months between accounts? That would be a recent restriction as I have opened 3 Lloyds current accounts on the same day in the past.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No, but I work for Lloyds Banking Group so I already hold five products with them, so they start to keep an eye...
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Nationwide have announced that the Monthly Saver 1 interest rate is reducing from 3% to 2.5% from April 1st. This particular account is one of those that Nationwide inherited from Cheshire Building Society after the rebranding process.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Why not do your christmas saving in a TSB Plus account?

I keep my Monmouthshire regular savings accounts because they take the payments as direct debits - so they offer what Tesco does if you need DDs for accounts/switches but pay more than double the interest rate.

They also have online access - and allow online withdrawals to your bank. So are very easy to operate remotely.

Of course unless you joined years ago like me you need to live in their branch area (i.e. south Wales) to open an account now.

PS I have the TSB account too - but its maxed up!
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Nationwide have announced that the Monthly Saver 1 interest rate is reducing from 3% to 2.5% from April 1st. This particular account is one of those that Nationwide inherited from Cheshire Building Society after the rebranding process.

It inherited the account from the Derbyshire Building Society too. I've got both. :( I guess it was too good to last .......
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    IanManc wrote: »
    It inherited the account from the Derbyshire Building Society too. I've got both. :( I guess it was too good to last .......

Yes, and Dunfermline Building Society is the other that fell prey!
  • I have a Monthly Saver account from all 3 defunct Building Societies. I do not trust Nationwide and expect more reductions to this rate in the coming months and certainly after the NS&I pensioner bonds are no longer available.
  • Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

I have updated the minimum deposit to the First Direct 1st Account to £1,000 per month in post 5.

I cannot find anything else to change.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • lucky77
    lucky77 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Another rate decrease from 1st April - Loughborough Building Society Monthly Saver 2 variable rate down to 1% plus 1.5% conditional bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure