Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

silvercar
silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 11 October 2017 at 10:33AM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:
I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Comments

• Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I booked accomodation, transfers and flight through Travel Republic. I have an ATOL certificate which covers the accomodation and the flights. I fly out on Saturday and back Tuesday. I have found alternative suitable flights. It sounds a daft question but should I book these now and wait for refund or should I wait until Travel Republic get in touch with me . Understandably their phone number has been engaged all morning.
  • I booked some return flights with Monarch airline for myself and some friends, we are flying out with easy jet on the 12th october and returning with monarch on the 15th. I've read a few things on their website and unsure if I will be affected given the following:

I booked a Monarch flight as my return journey, alongside another flight provided by another airline. Am I protected?

If you are due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, we will be arranging a new flight for you.

If you are due to travel on or after 16 October 2017, you will need to book your own flight back to the UK.

Have I misinterpreted this?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can find lots of useful information posted about the latest situation in the earlier official MSE thread, which unfortunately has been locked by the OP :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5720384

I won't bother reposting it all.
  • silvercar
    footyguy wrote: »
    You can find lots of useful information posted about the latest situation in the earlier official MSE thread, which unfortunately has been locked by the OP :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5720384

I won't bother reposting it all.

Necessary because the title was so misleading.

Thank you for providing such accurate info, and for helpfully indicating the source.

reposting here:
    footyguy wrote:
    Monarch Airlines have fallen into administration early this morning.
    This effectively marks the collapse of the business.
    There are no outgoing Monarch flights from the UK and the advice for those already booked on such flights is to not travel to the airport.
    For those booked onto return Monarch flights to the UK, the government has asked the CAA to charter aircraft to bring you back to the UK.
    footyguy wrote:
    Full list of affected Monarch companies in administration
    The following companies from within the Monarch Group are in administration:
    Monarch Holdings Limited
    Monarch Airlines Limited
    Monarch Travel Group Limited
    First Aviation Limited
    Avro Aviation Limited
    Avro Limited
    MH Aviation Transport Limited (formerly Cosmos Aviation Limited)
    Monarch Holidays Limited (formerly Cosmos Holidays Limited)
    somewhere2stay Limited
    Monarch 2011 Limited

[Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited and Monarch Aircraft Engineering LLC (Monarch Ukraine) are not in administration and continue to trade as normal.]

Source: https://home.kpmg.com/uk/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/10/administrators-appointed-to-monarch-airlines-and-travel-group.html
    footyguy wrote:
    Official information available here

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Mike_J wrote: »
    I booked accomodation, transfers and flight through Travel Republic. I have an ATOL certificate which covers the accomodation and the flights. I fly out on Saturday and back Tuesday. I have found alternative suitable flights. It sounds a daft question but should I book these now and wait for refund or should I wait until Travel Republic get in touch with me . Understandably their phone number has been engaged all morning.

The CAA won't be flying anyone out to their holidays. They are concerned only with bringing people home.
  • silvercar
    richardp05 wrote: »
    I booked some return flights with Monarch airline for myself and some friends, we are flying out with easy jet on the 12th october and returning with monarch on the 15th. I've read a few things on their website and unsure if I will be affected given the following:

I booked a Monarch flight as my return journey, alongside another flight provided by another airline. Am I protected?

If you are due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, we will be arranging a new flight for you.

If you are due to travel on or after 16 October 2017, you will need to book your own flight back to the UK.

Have I misinterpreted this?

Interesting one as the CAA are saying "if you are currently abroad they will bring you home, but if you haven't yet travelled they won't". I can see that an outward with one airline and return with another falls between the two, but I would want confirmation that they will bring you home (or at least a back up plan).

You don't have any avios do you? Avios bookings can be cancelled with 24 hours notice and all you lose is a £35 fee if you need to cancel.
  • I hope someone can help me out with this...

I am flying to Lisbon on Friday with RyanAir NOT Monarch. I then have a flight home on Monday THROUGH Monarch.

Can I still go as my flight home is within the 14 days and should still be operating?

Thanks in advance
  • woz28
    woz28 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder if anyone will be able to help. I booked Monarch flight only tickets in Feb 2017 by credit card. Flights were for July I didn't take out travel insurance (yes I know I should've) and had to cancel due to finding out I had cancer. Monarch issued me with a credit voucher for 12 months from July 2017. Would I still be covered by the credit card Section 75?
  • richardp05
    richardp05 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 2 October 2017 at 10:08AM
    Yeah it's not that clear. From what I read it seems that all flights from abroad are going ahead up until the 15th Oct so technically it should be fine. But I'll seek further clarification

I don't have avios i'm afraid. It was all booked on my credit card so should have some fall back if it doesn't go to plan
  • Denglish 89 All Monarch flights are grounded, so you need to arrange an alternative flight home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure