PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2017 at 3:25PM
    Eirlys you enjoy looking at your clothes girl. They're yours and you love them so what if they don't get many airings.

I have finally looked through a bag of stuff I brought away from work when I kondo'd it 18 months ago from where it washed up behind a couch. Most of it is in bucket of stuff to be burnt simply as enough months have passed that I know I no longer need it, but I hav kept somethings that 'prove' employment back to 1987 as I like to be careful rather than kondo about these type of things. However I have found a Thing of Great Joy that I thought must have been chucked over the years. I used to have a wonderful s@xy pic of the delectable Laurence Llewelyn Bbowen propped on my desk under my calendars so I could have a sneaky l@st when the need took me :kisses2::smileyhea. Now I work from home I need to decide......do I keep it???

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Put it on the inside of a cupboard door Daisy and have a little swoon when you need one!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Silva sava, that's a darn fine idea. He is propped up before me as I type :grin:

The very last piece of paper out of the last folder was rather poignant. Judging by how faded the piece of paper is I have had it for some time. Particularly appropriate on these pages. It's too long to retype here but look it up if you feel so inclined: Take hold of every moment by Anonymous

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Eirlys, yes I think you are the oldest. I was a post war baby when there was still rationing, when my mother ironed wrapping paper to re-use it. One dress to wear and one for best and one pair of shoes for all weathers. I think this has been my problem too, that ingrained need to have a full wardrobe. Mine is still too full and I have enjpyed the process of making lovely clothes and buying gorgeous fabric but I have stopped

Its been busy today, I didn`t plan to be so busy but I do it because I am driven and I have the energy. Cs trolley is going tomorrow and the last thing to be added is a professional large food mill, it was useful at the time, for separating pips and seeds before making conserves and jellies, I said goodbye to it. I am in a good place with my MK, it took minutes to clean the bathroom today but I need to grit my teeth and do more MK in my en suite. I do subconsciously ignore some areas
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh yes - having something for best - probably because clothes were expensive but the backlash has meant too much saved for Justin too. My mum made me a lovely lemon taffeta dress when I was about 8 - to be kept for best. Despite my wheedling no occasion was best enough - on the day it was brought out to be worn it was too small & broke my heart!
    Using up leftover beef joint I got the electric knife out to try - hated it so it's being kondoed along with a vegetable slicer that's too fiddly.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Whilst sorting & km-ing yesterday I found the dried roses & eucalyptus stems I took from both of the in-laws' funeral flowers and the dried red roses & sea holly that were the first flowers DH bought me the first time he came to stay :) They and some dried lavender which lived on my dressing table have all been deconstructed and now live in a pretty glass jar on my dressing table, where I can enjoy the colours of the dried petals and remember the memories.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That sounds so lovely Floss. Keep the memories via something pretty :)

I love that KM is making us all creative!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    One of the things I learnt on the mortgage free wannabe section was the importance of doing SOMETHING, however small, towards your goal, each day.

I think that decluttering is similar. Yes, the days where you MK a whole type of item/ room and drive it all to the CS/ recycling, are fab. A bit like when you pay a lump off your mortgage or off a debt.

But equally important are the days where you let that one colour of tights go, or gift one book that you meant to read but know you won't get round to it. I know MK likes to do things in great clumps, but sometimes RL gets in the way.

How about choosing one thing you love and have kept for best, putting it into use and getting shot of the unloved version that you were using? We all deserve to wear comfortable tights (or an equivalent)!!!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • catshark88 wrote: »
    One of the things I learnt on the mortgage free wannabe section was the importance of doing SOMETHING, however small, towards your goal, each day.

Very right. Two part used bath gels went yesterday, I only shower and have enough soaps for the rest of my life Sunscreens have also gone..Opposite to MK is money, cash in the bank, I am not spending anything extra because I need to eat out of my freezer and stores and am not buying anything. Bills get paid by direct debit and all are accounted for via m/s money, I see that money for my move is building up a bit at a time
  • lol, even my own post resonated with me. I have a ks soft heavy nice cream cotton blanket. I am bagging it for the cs today. I haven`t used it in two years, whats the point in keeping it. Thanking it and off it goes.

Catshark, good influence :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport