buying car tyres

Options

Comments

• chilswelluk
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »

Be aware though that any saving may be lost if you then take the tyres to a local fitter(

So why not fit them yourself, as it's a really easy job.
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always order tyres from Camskill and get them fitted at a local tyre place (£10.00 per tyre)

Everytime I go there we have the same conversation :-

Tyre fitter : How much did you pay for the tyres?
    Me: £X each
    Tyre fitter : I could have got you those for £X-Y each.
    Me: The exact same tyres?
    Tyre fitter: Not the exact same ones but the same size
  • chilswelluk
    Options
    rubble2 wrote: »
    I always order tyres from Camskill and get them fitted at a local tyre place (£10.00 per tyre)

Everytime I go there we have the same conversation :-

Tyre fitter : How much did you pay for the tyres?
    Me: £X each
    Tyre fitter : I could have got you those for £X-Y each.
    Me: The exact same tyres?
    Tyre fitter: Not the exact same ones but the same size

This has been my experience in the past. I think £10 is very expensive just to fit a tyre. Why don't you have a go at fitting them yourself. It's a really easy job.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    So why not fit them yourself, as it's a really easy job.

Really?

How do you do it?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and balance?
  • chilswelluk
    Options
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Really?

How do you do it?

It's really easy, I did my first car tyres a few weeks ago and filmed it. Bear in mind, it was my first time, so it just shows you how easy it is. I got fed up of spending £10 each just to get them fitted. Plus all the hassle of driving to a place and waiting around. Much better to just do them yourself.
  • chilswelluk
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    and balance?

Just use a bubble balancer. Plenty of these on Ebay / Amazon. Also search youtube, loads of novel ways to balance.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve tried fitting tyres myself. It can be done but it isn’t an easy job by any means. If you are worried about damaging alloy rims, forget it. Never tried balancing myself though.
  • chilswelluk
    Options
    I’ve tried fitting tyres myself. It can be done but it isn’t an easy job by any means. If you are worried about damaging alloy rims, forget it. Never tried balancing myself though.

It is a very easy job. It took me a few minutes and I have never done it before in my life. I would even say it is easier than doing a bicycle tyre. I would post my video, but am not allowed to post links.

As for damaging the rims, again this is wrong. That's one of the reasons why I started doing my own. You can buy rim protectors, or cut up old plastic milk cartons as rim protectors, or wrap your tyre irons in some old bicycle inner tubes. I just changed 5 tyres and not one scratch on my rims.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a very easy job. It took me a few minutes and I have never done it before in my life. I would even say it is easier than doing a bicycle tyre. I would post my video, but am not allowed to post links.

As for damaging the rims, again this is wrong. That's one of the reasons why I started doing my own. You can buy rim protectors, or cut up old plastic milk cartons as rim protectors, or wrap your tyre irons in some old bicycle inner tubes. I just changed 5 tyres and not one scratch on my rims.

Sorry pal - but I don't believe a word of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure