Valiant and Worcester Boiler Quotes

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 9:47AM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Yes, the way to use Which? is to read the words, not just the ratings, they sometimes think something is unimportant when for you it would be critical. They once recommended a Black & Decker drill even though it failed before the end of their tests! Your post also highlights another longstanding problem with Which?, it puts Vaillant above Glowworm yet they are the same company. Years ago they had a Hotpoint washing machine as best buy & a Creda as a "must avoid", they were the same machine with different badges!

Ok but the engineer who fixes them for a living said he rated Vaillant best. He did not say Vaillant and Glow-worm.

Plus being "owned" is not really the same is it?

Glow-worm are sort of like Vaillant Group’s budget boiler.
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    How many radiators do you have or will end up with?

At present we have 10 radiators. When we have the extension we will have 11 radiators in total and 45 sqm of underfloor heating.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Very very rough guide, 1.5kw per rad and 3kw for hot water. So you need 19.5kw without your underfloor.

Hopefully someone will correct me because I’m not sure with underfloor, I’ve never fitted it but I’m think they say 100w per m. Now if that’s correct you need to allow 4.5kw for the underfloor, making a very rough total requirement 24kw.

There is a lot that goes into heat loss calculations and they need to measure your requirements accurately but if the 24kw is correct then ignore the cdi 42kw, it will hugely oversized.

Are they converting to a sealed system for the quote 3? do you have radiator pipes under concrete floors? if you haven’t I would get them to price the Vaillant as a sealed system, the Vaillant 630 is made for a sealed system. If you have pipe work in concrete floors I would leave as a open system and ignore quote 3.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Just reread the Which magazine as I am now at home. Nothing in there about 5 and 3 stars for Worcester and Vaillant. Oct 2017.

Do you want to re-read that?
    I'm not home now so can't check, but, IIRC, in the ratings column there was a line for reliability and Worcester says ***** whereas Vailant says ***

Doesn't it??

:)
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 4:16PM
    J_B wrote: »
    Do you want to re-read that?
    I'm not home now so can't check, but, IIRC, in the ratings column there was a line for reliability and Worcester says ***** whereas Vailant says ***

Doesn't it??

:)

Happy to..........

WB 92%
    Viessmann 84%
    Vaillant 78%

Yes the reliability is 3 and 5. But no one is judging the product on JUST that. We are talking about a product as a whole. Very few people buy a product on reliability and nothing else.

Did you miss the 5 star for customer score
    5 star for ease of service.
    5 star for ease of fixing
    5 star for build quality
    5 star for fixing a common fault
    4 recommendation
    4 availability of parts and spares..........all for Vaillant????

So which is not really saying they are 3 star are they. If you are implying they are a poor brand then thats not reflected in the whole Which report?

And in support they are rated on many other sites and by most engineers.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    So which is not really saying they are 3 star are they.

Nope, indeed - I was merely referring to reliability.

In 2009 we purchased a pair of semis to do holiday rentals.
    No1 had a knackered oil boiler
    No2 already had a Worcester Bosch 25si (?) LPG boiler

As we had one functioning boiler, we decided to stick with LPG and installed a Vailant eco-tec (?) boiler in No1

We sold the cottages this August.
    During our ownership we had serviced the Worcester every year and the only problem we had was when there was a bird stuck in the balanced flue!
    The Vailant caused us no end of problems
    We had a new multi port valve inside which was a couple of hundred quid
    We had to have a new printed circuit board (*) which was another three hundred quid

Maybe we were unlucky

* = the local plumbers merchant had one of these PCB's in stock - the plumber commented that was maybe because there was a demand!!
  • Alex1983
    J B I’m not going to dispute your problems with your Vaillant but I can honestly say Ive only fitted a handful of PCB’s on Vaillants in 15 years. I have 1 in my van as stock and it has got 2014 printed on it which means I haven’t fitted 1 since then. I have 4 Worcester PCB’s in my van. The thing is your now put off by Vaillant because of your bad experience which is understandable but it’s unusual.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    It also has ideal as 4th best which is crazy they have made some of the most unrealiable boilers of the last 15 years.

Everyone says that about Ideal but me and my neighbours have all got Ideal Classics which are over 20 years old and we have had very few problems with them all that time. My friend has an Ideal Isar which is almost 10 years old and has never had a problem with it.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Worcester are a £300 boiler that costs £1000 & they use the £700 to market them
    The only thing which boiler recommendations are any good for is wrapping up your fish & chips
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Alex1983
    Suziesue Ideal made good reliable boilers 15 years ago and prior. The classic and Mexico are some of the most reliable boilers made. Most of there efforts since have been terrible and the fact that your friends isar has had no trouble in 10 years is a miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure