Work shy relative is becoming a nuisance

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Yesterday (saturday). Lazy cousin phoned me and said he needed to come to mine. My reply was your is Sheffield I'm many miles in Suffolk. He said my aunt is pressing him to get employment before its too late for him. He says it's mine and his sisters fault putting ideas in his mums head. His sister won't take him so I have to (his words). My answer is unrepeatable on here. Made it clear I won't be housing him. My aunt also wants more than £5 a week off him now he also says its my fault.

Why did you even bother answering the phone?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday (saturday). Lazy cousin phoned me and said he needed to come to mine. My reply was your is Sheffield I'm many miles in Suffolk. He said my aunt is pressing him to get employment before its too late for him. He says it's mine and his sisters fault putting ideas in his mums head. His sister won't take him so I have to (his words). My answer is unrepeatable on here. Made it clear I won't be housing him. My aunt also wants more than £5 a week off him now he also says its my fault.

If you or your sister wont house him then he gets his own flat, its about time he supported himself.
  • DoubleDoors
    Options
    Well, that was interesting..

Lazy cousin's never going to get a job unless he's got a reference or two, especially given he's not worked for about 30 years.
  • DoubleDoors
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If you or your sister wont house him then he gets his own flat, its about time he supported himself.

Not sure if TPTB would house a single male with no dependents and (presumably) no health issues. He'd be out sleeping on a park bench.
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    I heard from his sister ( my cousin) at the weekend. He has been claiming PIP and the DWP have asked him to attend an interview under caution. He is an idiot. His sister asked him why can't he just get a job and he replied when a member of the royal family does then he will.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    With that attitude he deserves to starve and sleep on a park bench, and the sooner every member of the family, including his mother, toughen up and refuse to help him any more. the quicker he'll learn a few very uncomfortable lessons.
    Perhaps everybody should remind him that winter will soon be here and sleeping on park benches and in shop doorways will be a very uncomfortable experience.
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Oh he just gets better. Lazy called me today crying. He says my aunt (his mum) has told him she won't be here forever and he must learn how to look after himself to prepare for when it does happen. He also said the job center have asked him to attend a job fair at a local university which is being held at the end of the month. If he doesn't go he could be sanctioned has his advisor tells him there are plenty of positions he is capable of doing that require plenty of staff urgently. My answer was well whats so awful about that?. His reply was his advisor says portering or security or even care taking positions are on offer and in her opinion he is capable of that given his long history of unemployment and skill set. He honestly believes he should get a IT or HR position!. I told him that is very unrealistic given he hasn't worked in IT since 1996, heck he hasn't even held other employment since then either. He told me that he thinks security or portering are beneath him and he wants a clean cushy job. I told him to man up and he asked me would I do those jobs. My reply was yes I would if I was out of work and couldn't find a job in my usual field I'm qualified for. My God how my aunt puts up with him I don't know. He wants to live a good life with niceties but doesn't think he should toil for it. Not only this but he says my aunt has made it clear his sister will get a share of her house when she does die. He assumed it would all automatically go to him because he has always lived at home.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Oh he just gets better. Lazy called me today crying. He says my aunt (his mum) has told him she won't be here forever and he must learn how to look after himself to prepare for when it does happen. He also said the job center have asked him to attend a job fair at a local university which is being held at the end of the month. If he doesn't go he could be sanctioned has his advisor tells him there are plenty of positions he is capable of doing that require plenty of staff urgently. My answer was well whats so awful about that?. His reply was his advisor says portering or security or even care taking positions are on offer and in her opinion he is capable of that given his long history of unemployment and skill set. He honestly believes he should get a IT or HR position!. I told him that is very unrealistic given he hasn't worked in IT since 1996, heck he hasn't even held other employment since then either. He told me that he thinks security or portering are beneath him and he wants a clean cushy job. I told him to man up and he asked me would I do those jobs. My reply was yes I would if I was out of work and couldn't find a job in my usual field I'm qualified for. My God how my aunt puts up with him I don't know. He wants to live a good life with niceties but doesn't think he should toil for it. Not only this but he says my aunt has made it clear his sister will get a share of her house when she does die. He assumed it would all automatically go to him because he has always lived at home.
    I'll ask again:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why did you even bother answering the phone?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caller ID & an answering machine have been my best friends since 1988. Unfortunately it is now glasses & caller ID. But you need to disengage or you will land up with a lodger/!!!!!!!!!!.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I heard from his sister ( my cousin) at the weekend. He has been claiming PIP and the DWP have asked him to attend an interview under caution. He is an idiot. His sister asked him why can't he just get a job and he replied when a member of the royal family does then he will.

Both Princes have served in the military which counts as a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure