The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Best place to change £ to Turkish Lira?

Hi, I am off to Turkey next week. Can anyone tell me what to do money-wise? I haven't a clue. I know they accept Pounds, Euro's and Lira, but which is best? Also, where is the best place to change money? Here or Turkey? Help please!

Thanks, from a very Dizzy Blonde!! x
~*~*~*dizzyb~*~*~*

Comments

• h00tsman
    h00tsman Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi,

I visit Turkey alot and the best way by far for you is take your Serling with you and change it all in one of there post offices..

You will geta far better rate than here.
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    I'm going to Turkey in a couple of weeks and it worries me to not take any curreny with me, does anyone know where to get a good rate at the moment. I am looking at around 2.25 at the moment.
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • Anyone who has been to Turkey and changed money there is it really better to get money there?

I often hear people quoting prices that are above the spot rate, that can't be right surely? They would be making a loss.

Can anyone confirm this?
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes it's cheaper to change money there. Make sure it's English notes as they don't seem to like Scottish money.

We usually get a few Lira here just in case, then change the rest of our money when we get out there. As well as banks and change shops, you can change money in various other shops, restarants, jewellers etc. Most places have a board outside, so you can walk up and down and look for the best deal.

Don't forget your crisp £10 English note each for travelling. You need to buy a visa when you enter the country which costs £10. They don't give change, or take a £20 for two people, and they don't like Scottish notes either.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • pammyj74
    thanks, is that visa for children as well?

I think i will get some here as I found thomas cook is 2.2 and the best I have found at the moment and will take english notes to get more out there.
  • Thanks for that Beccles, can you say what rate you were getting over there compared to the UK?
  • Becles
    Forumite
    We were getting around 2.28 in the resort. The currency I changed at Thomas Cook was less than that, but I can't remember how much it was.

Yes you need the visa for children too. Even babies need one!

Also don't buy any food or drink at the Turkish airport as the prices are really really expensive. Eg: £10 for a McDonalds/KFC meal, around £5 for a cup of tea or coffee, £4 for a can of Coke.

We arrived at the airport at lunchtime, so we bought sandwiches and drinks at the supermarket in the resort, and ate them in the check-in hall. They have the same restrictions as the UK for liquids and all water and pop had to be given up at passport control, although you can take food through if you want to.
  • pammyj74
    Thanks for the info, its really helpful. I didnt know you could take food through and last time we were scoffing oursselves before we went through. this time I will take some food so we can eat on the plane!

I have read that you need to go to the less tourist places to get a great rate so somewhere near the market or something
  • Becles
    Forumite
    People in the resort told us we could get better rates in Fethiye which was the nearest working city to where we were staying. However we had no plans to go there, so by the time you factored in time and bus fares, it was probably just as cheap to change money in the resort.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport