Does anyone here have an ideological objection to Solar?

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    perhaps if fits for small hydro were higher hydro would come down in price as well? i've always thought small hydro would be suitable for being manufactured in kit form.

after all, the turbine/ generator could come prefabricated in a small shipping container. the upstream inlet structure could be a couple of concrete manhole rings. the pipework could be flexible reinforced rubber pipes. All stuff that a small builder could install on site.

if only fits was increased so some pump turbine manufacturer could get some economies of scale.

Try some of the renewables sellers, the kit is out there:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/category.php?catID=70

The mass produced Chinese 'stuff' is pretty cheap (quality!?!).

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Mechanical things that spin tend to need a big overhaul every 10 years ?

So buy quality and aim for it to last a generation (no pun intended).
  • the amount of flooding in the UK seems to be increasing, perhaps more hydro (with associated water storage) would reduce the amount of flooding.

Farmers are getting (more) subsidies for installing "wash" lands (ie areas deliberately designed to flood in a controlled manner).

You know those maps of the fens show "new" rivers dug more directly to the sea and with a wide margin between them and the previous rivers?

The dykes surrounding the island so created is lower than that on the other bank of the rivers, so that in flood conditions it is the island that floods.

Perhaps the man with the mill site can do a deal with a local farmer to both of their mutual advantage?

Personally I would go for a mill on a chalk stream.
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Try some of the renewables sellers, the kit is out there:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/category.php?catID=70

The mass produced Chinese 'stuff' is pretty cheap (quality!?!).

Mart.

Too simplistic I'm afraid. For a large head, some of that kit may well be viable. But to generate significant amounts of electricity from a low head site (mine is about 1.6m) requires large water flow through the turbines. There are relatively cheap turbines available which can work with low head but you would need an array of them to generate decent amounts of power. I wouldn't like to guess how long lasting that Navitron kit would be.

There is kit out there which will work well for low head, high flow sites - and many watermill sites are like this, but it isn't cheap.

Plus a large part of the expense is the planning, design, and permission stages. The Environment Agency have a responsibility for fish and for flooding and take both very seriously. To get permission for hydro you need to demonstrate that both are taken care of. That might mean costly studies before the project even gets off the ground.
  • if you've had experience of looking at small hydro i'd be interested in reading about it if you start at thread? it's something i've always wanted to do.

Will do, when I have the time.
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I appreciate that meeting our future energy peaks is crucial. But this is, dare I say it, irrelevant to the debate on PV.

If, as you have gently suggested previously, PV took funding from other methods of generation, then fine, complain, but you still haven't demonstrated that, that has happened. Schemes and funding exist for all of them.

most of the conventional power stations are coming to the end of their useful life, there is a real danger that the lights will go out within the next 10 years. it would just be nice if fits helped address this problem.

a pound spent on solar is a pound that can not be spent elsewhere, i think countries should try and invest their money where there is some competitive advantage. since the uk has the most coastline in europe i would prefer fits to encourage tidal/ wave/ etc.

if i asked a first year university engineering student the best green energy that the UK should invest in i would be disappointed if he said solar. imho solar panels are a political gimic to look green to the electorate.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2012 at 1:34PM

if i asked a first year university engineering student the best green energy that the UK should invest in i would be disappointed if he said solar. imho solar panels are a political gimic to look green to the electorate.

Yep, politics is a very highly tuned art - I'd never have thought the 'stakeholder' strategy was so universally powerful to get many to simply suspend rational thought and analysis enough to somehow think it's a sensible way of generating electricity in the UK. Of course many - but by all means not all - never had that ability in the first place. Many - again not all - think they are saving the planet while being paid very well to do so and see no contradiction. Some philosophers trump the best scientists in terms of clarity of thought, understanding implications and group effects.

The 'solution' the government have belatedly (and incorrectly) come up to address the lights going out is gas. Loads of relatively inefficient small gas fired power stations to be built, burning gas from a 2000 mile long pipe, passing through many countries all of which can close the valves should it be in their interests to do so, assuming the party at the other end of the pipe keeps supplying it. Greens should be up in arms - burning a fuel which could be burnt more efficiently directly in the home. Where are they shouting about the co2 from burning gas? Small gas turbines are the very last generation to be scheduled when meeting demand due to their relatively high cost - and yet that's the way we're heading. It's only a single step away from the government solution being to build more wind and solar, in that at least this theoretically works.

The sole rational solution in Nuclear. If Nuclear power hadn't been invented and was discovered today, it would be seen as virtually the saviour of mankind. It's only a ridiculous 50 year campaign by so called 'greens' which has virtually made most in the UK paranoid against it - and yet it is still the same thinking which is today driving our energy strategy.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    not some random idiot on a website who says they are wrong.

At least I agree with this bit.

Just as a matter of interest ilovesolarmelikeinit, what were your previous usernames on this forum, and why did you abandom them in favour of yet another new one?
  • Martyn1981
    most of the conventional power stations are coming to the end of their useful life, there is a real danger that the lights will go out within the next 10 years. it would just be nice if fits helped address this problem.

But I'm still struggling to see where you are coming from. Previously you said hydro and anerobic digestion would help. Well they get FITs too, but now you say FITs won't help? You keep suggesting problems, but aren't supporting any of them!

a pound spent on solar is a pound that can not be spent elsewhere, i think countries should try and invest their money where there is some competitive advantage. since the uk has the most coastline in europe i would prefer fits to encourage tidal/ wave/ etc.

On a R&D basis I agree with you, but again, the point here is not sitting back and letting economics sort the wheat from the chaff, we are artificially shortening the development of solar (and wind and nuclear) by pumping in a lot of money. The objective is to develop all the tools.

Tidal and wave are research projects. I also think they have great potential, but where is the product that we can sell to householders, commerce, and investors today?

There isn't a single budget for a single solution, because there isn't a single solution.

Why? Look at the issue again, and strip away all the noise and distraction.

They 'only' generate during daylight. Yes, that's all they ever did, and all they were ever sold as doing. Pointing out winter evening peaks, serves no purpose. PV's role is carbon reduction and that's what it does.

We should put our money into other schemes. We do. The PV FITs budget is actually quite small (if you can call £8bn over 27(ish) years small) but it's potential is big.

It detracts from other technologies. Does it? Show me? Not only does FITs support many technologies, but we also have huge investment in wind farms, and R&D.

It's ineffective in a UK climate. It's simply a matter of generation to cost. It's less profitable here than closer to the equator, but that doesn't make it unviable.

It's too expensive. Look at the numbers. It's now starting to slip inside nuclear and off-shore wind costs. Should we abandon them too? The UK has about 40% of Europe's useable wind energy. Prices are still falling, it's too early to call, but it's starting to look good for PV 'even' in the UK.

It's expensive and gets a big subsidy. Current domestic 15.44p. Let's strip that subsidy down a bit: The FIT is FAT again (due to falling costs), offering returns similar to late Summer 2011, so there is room to fall. Current leccy prices don't include the true cost of carbon. Current leccy prices don't include nuclear subsidies which are hidden in general taxation (just the decommissioning budget each year is £2.5bn).

Each of those factors is probably worth about 3p each, and as I said prices are still falling. So we need to look at the big picture, and not be distracted by all the negative noise and distractions.

Step back for a moment and think about the aims of FITs (particularly as they relate to PV). To lower PV prices internationally. To lower PV prices nationally. To develop the UK solar industry. To get companies (not just generating companies) and householders to invest in infrastructure. To involve the public in micro-generation. To raise awareness of energy needs and carbon emissions. Has it done all of these? Have the public accepted PV? Have prices fallen as expected (or far, far further)?

We have a scheme with aims. So far it has delivered those aims and far exceeded expectations, so why are we still knocking it?

Or to put it another way, we need to stop finding problems with solutions, and start finding solutions for problems.

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    The sole rational solution in Nuclear. If Nuclear power hadn't been invented and was discovered today, it would be seen as virtually the saviour of mankind. It's only a ridiculous 50 year campaign by so called 'greens' which has virtually made most in the UK paranoid against it - and yet it is still the same thinking which is today driving our energy strategy.

I'm not paranoid about nuclear. It does what it does. There have been a few, shall we say politely - scary moments, but other than that ......

The true 50 year anti nuclear campaign, has been run very effectively by the nuclear industry itself. That is that total cradle to grave costs are enormous, and haven't fallen at all!

How is it that a technology like PV with only really 10 years of 'proper' support (only 3 in the UK) is already starting to match it both on an infrastructure and subsidy basis? Pretty much the same position regarding off-shore wind, which can hopefully fall another 40% in price over the next 10 years.

I'm not going to pit PV and wind against nuclear, as they are very different tools, plus nuclear's baseload and predictability are worth a bit more than PV and wind, helping to temper the enormous subsidy difference we're going to see in 10 or 12 years when nuclear comes on line, and PV subsidies have kept on dropping.

Mart.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure