How much can you save?

Comments

• tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome to the thread, saver9713! Mine's for a house deposit. You have a good amount saved already, well done xo
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • tara747 wrote: »
    I got paid today so my savings have passed the £25k mark! I'm on track for £30k by the end of the year, woohoo! :D It's been hard to be disciplined at times but it's so worth it! Now if I could just apply the same discipline to food...

Eh Tara - don't you talk nonsense!! You are very disciplined with food - in fact we all miss you on the half stone challenge!! It's just not the same without your regular updates!! :D

Hi Saver!! :hello: I'm not enough of a fraud to welcome you to the board since I only dip in and out now and again!! I'm saving towards going back to uni - but if I can manage it I'm hoping to leave the money unscathed whilst I'm at uni to start off a wee deposit for a house - like you it'll be a while though before I'm at that stage - probably a lot longer than you since you've got yourself off to quite a good start!!

xx
  • dippykitty
    dippykitty Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    saver9713 wrote: »
    Hi all, can I join? I'm trying to save as much as possible, maybe for a house deposit, maybe to fund extra study/ a career change later on (if I can figure out what to do) - anyone got any suggestions?!

I'm not too optimistic about affording a house for quite some time so really it's just to create a nest egg. So far I have about £13,500 in an ISA, £1000 in PBs and £1200 in an instant access account. I hope to hit £20k by next year and usually try to save about £500 a month - quite a challenge on my wages! I'm at 78% of my target so far and will update on pay days. Good luck to everyone - what are you all saving for by the way?

Welcome aboard! :D You're doing great by the sounds of things! I'm personally saving for a combination of a house deposit and general savings so quite similar to you. I'm self-employed though, so my savings are going to act as some sort of 'pension' later on so I need every penny!
    ISA savings: £25,139 Other Savings: £1750 (tied up in bond)
  • Rose_Crow
    Rose_Crow Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    save-a-lot wrote: »
    I absolutely love the 350z, it is on my wish list too.. totally opposite from that which is also on my wish list is a Nissan Navara. You only live once, saving is good as long as one day you actually spend a bit and put a great big smile on your face :D

I am under strict instructions (from myself) not to buy another car. Trying to be strong and you guys chucking photos like that around aren't helping! :D

Actually was looking at the Hyundai Coupe's, lots of very cheap ones around - they're a bit unusual-looking (can't bear to get anything sensible!) But no, must be strong!
    Clutter Free Life 2019
    31 of 172 items decluttered :D
  • Driving_Soon
    Driving_Soon Posts: 338 Forumite
    Eh Tara - don't you talk nonsense!! You are very disciplined with food - in fact we all miss you on the half stone challenge!! It's just not the same without your regular updates!! :D

Hi Saver!! :hello: I'm not enough of a fraud to welcome you to the board since I only dip in and out now and again!! I'm saving towards going back to uni - but if I can manage it I'm hoping to leave the money unscathed whilst I'm at uni to start off a wee deposit for a house - like you it'll be a while though before I'm at that stage - probably a lot longer than you since you've got yourself off to quite a good start!!

xx

Hey crap_with_money, I'm the same as you, trying to save as much as possible for uni (though I'm hoping I won't need to spend alot, but its nice to know its there if I need it). You starting Uni in september?
  • Yeah I start at the very end of August - doing my PGDE so will only be out of full-time employment for a year - well hopefully anyway!!

What about you? When are you getting started?

I'm not doing all the well with the savings really - I had some debt to clear first, so I'm sitting with approx £2k at the mo - my second job managed to underpay us this month though, so when that overtime comes through next month - it'll boost me up a wee bit.

Since I'm planning on working through uni, I'm hoping I'll not need anything that I save, but worst comes to the worst - I'll be using it like a self imposed overdraft - since I really don't want to finish uni a second time round with a massive student OD!

What about you? What are you planning to study?

xx
  • Driving_Soon
    Driving_Soon Posts: 338 Forumite
    Yeah I start at the very end of August - doing my PGDE so will only be out of full-time employment for a year - well hopefully anyway!!

What about you? When are you getting started?

I'm not doing all the well with the savings really - I had some debt to clear first, so I'm sitting with approx £2k at the mo - my second job managed to underpay us this month though, so when that overtime comes through next month - it'll boost me up a wee bit.

Since I'm planning on working through uni, I'm hoping I'll not need anything that I save, but worst comes to the worst - I'll be using it like a self imposed overdraft - since I really don't want to finish uni a second time round with a massive student OD!

What about you? What are you planning to study?

xx

Sounds cool! I'm 20, I left school with no Qualfications and was in a dead end job for two years (though I managed to save some money, so its not all bad). I decided to go back to college, I have nearlly finished my first year at college, I've got one more year to go then hopefully Uni! :D. I have just over 18k now, Mainly from when I was working (for two years I just worked my socks off, its one of them things you don't how how bad it was til you have quit and look back at it all lol!). I'm barley working now, just little things here and there, so I could add to it if I worked at weekends or something, but my main aim is not to dip into it :rotfl:. Good luck with everything!!
  • Jeezo - you're definitely putting me to shame!! Well done on managing to hold on to it!:T

Hopefully one day I'll become a serious saver - life just seems to keep getting in the way! :rolleyes: Or maybe I just need a bit more dedication!

xx
  • dazcouz
    dazcouz Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    Hi, just been paid for this month and this pushes my savings to £23,100. Should just by the skin of my teeth hit £30,000 by the end of the year.
    Competion Wins 2008 - £1700 - 2009 £5300
    2010- £680
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Nice.

I've had a tough few weeks and doesn't help I got Dominos tonight (:D)

Finished uni for the year and I start my placement in 2 weeks. Had to get a new house. £330 deposit paid. I am not sure when I first get paid for my placement so I am getting a £700 overdraft with my student account, Lloyds gives you the option to take it X term, so I will get it for 2 months until I get paid.

However, as I get a £2k sign on bonus and paid monthly in advance, I reckon my first months pay packet should be £3.5k! :cool::D

So that will pay off the overdrafts and add around £1.5k to savings! Good times eh.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback