PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't done any food shopping since the first of the month. I'm banned from driving and lifting for a couple of days so It'll be Monday before I can set forth. I think I'll spend a bit of time on a meal plan for next week, also I want to batch cook so I'll sort that out as well. Hope not to spend too much money.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    OH spent £2.95 today on a pizza and stir fry mix.
    I spent £0.69 on carrots and cucumber.

Bulk - £67.57.
    OH - £15.51/£56.43. £40.92
    Me - £8.13/£31. £22.87 left.

Over all budget.
    £91.21/£155.
    £63.79 left.
    elsiepac wrote: »
    That sounds lovely! I keep meaning to try something with chickpea flour - it's besan right?

Yes that is the right flour, also called gram flour.
    It ended up huge. 4 portions for me as it is roughly fits a large plate.

It was 16 tablespoons of the flour.
    16 tablespoons of water.
    I used 400g of already cooked potato cut cubed. Recipe said 800g but meh.
    2 small onions cut. Recipe said one.
    I eyeballed what I wanted of nutritional yeast. It was supposed to have the salt that makes things taste and smell of egg but I have never bought that and so used the nutritional yeast for a 'cheese' like taste.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I spent a little more than I expected at the county town market yesterday; £10.49 in total, on raspberries, blueberries, avocados, bananas, a roasted gammon hock and - get this! an entire box of strawberries. That's 20 punnets, for £2!

Well done you - that's a real bargain!

Sat down last night to do next week's meal plan and sallied forth this morning to Sainsbobs with list in hand. I deliberately didn't get a trolley and used a basket instead. That way, I could tell when it was getting heavy - a real incentive to sticking to the list! :D I think I was a little early in the day for YS bargains; there were a few but nothing I wanted/needed. That was probably a good thing as I don't really want to be putting anything else in the freezer, more like run it down (a lot :o ). Spent £19.07. DH went to market and spent £8.80. Total spend: £27.87.

It seems to be working out that we shop on a Friday, with a small top-up (usually for milk) on Tuesday. I'm fine with that as I don't particularly like shopping and prefer to use the time saved to do other more pleasurable things. :) We also have an online order for delivery of the heavy/bulky things but even that has reduced down from one a month to one every other month. I must be getting the hang of this! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:46PM
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Total spends so far this month = £76.70 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.

And now I need to start thinking about next week's plan so I can pick up any bits I need in the shop tomorrow.

Right... How's this look?

Plan
    Breakfast
    Banana and fruit porridge

Lunches
    Soup-n-sarnie - Saturday/Sunday
    Vegi Omelettes - Mon/Thurs
    Free-lunch at work - Tuesday
    Turkey, rice and veg - Wednesday
    Eat-up day - Friday

Dinner
    Beef Stew - Saturday/Sunday/Pos Monday (need to buy root veg and bread)
    Pasta bake - Tuesday/Wednesday
    Turkey dinner - Thursday
    Eat-up day - Friday

Snacks
    Make some more flapjacks (need to buy butter and maybe some sugar or honey/syrup)
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £82 this week! Still have visiting offspring and catering for 12 tomorrow so not too bad I suppose. (Some Christmas chocolate might also have snuck in LOL.)Anyway it was budgeted for so I'm covered. Total so far £107/£200
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Friday is the start of my weekly menu and although yesterday and today have been NSD's I thought I would put together my plan for the next week, and see how far I can get without spending anything, I really need to be using up some freezer stock and am limited as far as F&V but want to make what I have go as far as possible. At the moment I have 1/3 of a cauliflower, couple of carrots, handful of radish, a green pepper, 1/3 of a can of sweetcorn, jar of roasted red pepper, tinned mushrooms, frozen peas and green beans.

I can see me getting as far as Tues but I have a visitor coming to stay Wed/Thurs so will need to get stuff for breakfast/lunches and treats.

Fri - Scampi, potato wedges, sweetcorn, lettuce & beetroot
    Sat - Chicken & Mushroom Lasagne (f) green beans & sweetcorn
    Sun - Spicy Bean Casserole (f) roasted cauliflower, slice of garlic bread
    Mon - Beef Stew (f) green beans, carrots, peas
    Tues - Salmon fillet (f) green beans & red peppers
    Wed - Going Out
    Thurs - Veggie Shepherds Pie (f)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just a mini shop - £5.89, got 3 massive cauliflowers, which will be turned into cauliflower rice, plus some other bits. I've been batch cooking, so a ton of healthy meals in freezer, plus I have a ton of salad. More than enough to see me through the week. Have a lovely w/e everyone. Have updated sig.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    A bit late again posting for the month but want to try and slowly reduce my grocsry budget as DD is now at uni.
    Still buying her bits out of the budget and i am now getting a Christmas food item each week-today it was a box of the half price chocs at Tesc@. Find it really handy doing this as supplies usually take me well into January which I tend to find a very looong month.
    Setting my grocery budget for October at £170 please
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    Argh, done miserably already. Firstly because work went bonkers at the end of last month and hasn't calmed down yet. So I have been buying faffy bits for lunch rather than cooking at home. And also because I paid for a bunch of stuff at the end of October on contactless, and that takes a few days to go through so came out in October instead. So far £54.75 of my £200 budget has been spent with very little to show for it. Must do better!
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Its been a busy few days...nearly lost track of what I have spent

Iceland £8.50
    Lidl £22.30
    Tesco £21.48 !!

this has been a spendy week but I have bought some items that will stretch for a few weeks.

need to tighten belt next week for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure