PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moved out on 30 may and still not had deposit back and agents not responding

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    I get the point about not sending recorded, I always have sent things that way and have not had an issue but others have.

I think you have to put your name and address on the envelope so they would know it's from you and can refuse to accept.
  • aneary
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Do you want advice or not?

As has already been suggested by G_M send a letter before action requesting your deposit back. Send it however you wish: Signed For, Special Delivery, 1st Class, 2nd Class, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, semaphore, whatever makes you happy.

Do you have to be so rude.

These forums are supposed to provide help not for you to take out your fury on people who are unsure of what to do!!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2017 at 3:15PM
    OP, did you read the information given in your previous thread? (For the avoidance of doubt that is a rhetorical question.)

Previous thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664617
  • aneary
    OP, did you read the information given in your previous thread? (For the avoidance of doubt that is a rhetorical question.)

Previous thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664617

Two different queries to be fair.

The last one was about the cleaning although he did mention the deposit. Some people need to deal with things separately.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I see the OP isn't the only one who didn't bother to read the information in the Deposit link given by both G_M and I in the previous thread then. :o
  • aneary
    I see the OP isn't the only one who didn't bother to read the information in the Deposit link given by both G_M and I in the previous thread then. :o

I saw that but I think at the time the OP was concerned about the £160 being deducted now he is concerned he isn't getting his deposit back
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    aneary wrote: »
    I saw that but I think at the time the OP was concerned about the £160 being deducted now he is concerned he isn't getting his deposit back
    The OP isn't acting on any of the advice though, and that is what is being said
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    aneary wrote: »
    Whether OP's issue is the £160, or the return of the deposit, the link provided in his previous thread gives

* all the legal info he needs, as well as
    * links to appropriate legal references
    * practical advice
    * links to court website
    etc

Re the 'signed for' post issue, who knows if the recipient will expect, recognise, or sign for the letter? He may. He may not.

But since the law (and courts) accepts that 1st class post is deemed delivered 2 days later (whether in fact delivered or not) why take the chance?
  • brinkytwiddleee
    brinkytwiddleee Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 8:16AM
    G_M wrote: »
    If the deposit is protected, put in a single claim.

If the deposit is not protected, send a Letter Before Action to the landlord, at the address provided for serving notices, with a copy to the agents.

Don't use 'signed for' post (it may not be delivered). Point out the failure to protect, request full repayment withing 5 working days, otherwise you will make a claim via the courts both for the deposit, and for the penalty.

So how do I go forward when I don't know if the deposit is protected or not? since I checked on those websites and couldn't find out one way or the other and the agents are ignoring me?

I sent yet another email to them on friday and still no reply.

So to follow your advice what am I supposed to say in the letter if I don't know whether it is protected or not?

I am just reading the deposits link now but I don't see anything about when you don't know if it's protected or not.

Should I just say that I was unable to ascertain whether it was protected or not so must assume that it isn't protected and if this is the case I would like my full deposit back.

Btw I just noticed on the shelter advice for claiming compensation on unsecured deposits that it says claiming compensation only applies if you have an assured shorthold tenancy. We defaulted to a rolling contract for about a year after the last AST ended. Does that change things?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    So how do I go forward when I don't know if the deposit is protected or not? since I checked on those websites and couldn't find out one way or the other and the agents are ignoring me? - Have you called the companies?

I sent yet another email to them on friday and still no reply.

So to follow your advice what am I supposed to say in the letter if I don't know whether it is protected or not?

I am just reading the deposits link now but I don't see anything about when you don't know if it's protected or not.

Should I just say that I was unable to ascertain whether it was protected or not so must assume that it isn't protected and if this is the case I would like my full deposit back.

Btw I just noticed on the shelter advice for claiming compensation on unsecured deposits that it says claiming compensation only applies if you have an assured shorthold tenancy. We defaulted to a rolling contract for about a year after the last AST ended. Does that change things?

No, it's exactly the same. Shelter sometimes don't make things clear unfortunately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure