PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• PK - I am sorry to hear about the situation with your Dad - I wondered where you had got to ! Take care of yourself my friend !
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 30 November 2012 at 8:34PM
    Hello again - Chicken, so sorry that you've had all that to deal with. How lovely that your Mum feels able to think of filling the dog-shaped space in the future. I have sympathy with those who say 'never again, it's too hard to let them go", but for those who feel able to offer a dog a home, wonderful. Especially rescued dogs.

Kittikins I've not officially tutored for the QTS tests but I've done it unofficially, when a student rolled up at one course I taught for the Lit & Num and needed to brush up to do QTS maths.
    Glad you passed! The maths is quite a challenge when you've not done it for a while.
    Edit: How about "I get to choose" promises for the Advent calendar for DD? Like what's for a meal, or a DVD to watch?

Speaking of which I had notification of a student fail today, first since April, I was gutted for him. He only let me know he was doing the test the evening before - I'm not notified unless the student tells me by text or email. He'd left it too late for the depth of practice he needed.

C'est la vie.

1. Seeing grandchildren today - DGD's teachers had a training day so I was called in to babysit.
    2. Helping DGD make lunch - she was in charge!
    3. Chat with DD.
    4. I gave DD & DGD a lovely bottle of Christmassy smelling shower gel - it was supposed to be for Christmas, but you want Christmassy smells in the run-up, not for the days afterwards.
    5. Gave DGS a book from Am@zon he had asked for - he was getting stuck into it whilst I was there. So much so, he'd forgotten to start his homework. Oops.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening all.

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days - although I love reading everyone else's pleasures, I've been feeling too tired and :( to post any myself. I hate winter. :(:(

PK - I'm sorry to hear about your dad - I hope you get things sorted asap.

Chicken - poor Miss Barker - I'm so sorry to hear about that. Hugs to you and your mum, and I hope it stops raining at your place soon.

Kittikins - I don't think I've posted since your exams - very well done! :T

Welcome to the new posters. :hello:

Sorry if I've missed anything else important! :o

Mine for today:

1) A colleague's birthday, so lots of scrummy HM cakes and biscuits at work. :drool:

2) Walking through the park at lunchtime and seeing lots of squirrels and a rather cute rat. (An unusual view, I know, but I like rats!)

3) Seeing a post by my mum telling everyone that I'm a good cook - I think I am, and I love cooking, but it's nice to hear it from someone else. :)

4) Had my flu jab, and the nurse remembered me from my last visit and asked how I was getting on after the operation - I'm impressed that she remembered, given the number of people she must see every week.

5) Having said number 3, I'm going to order a takeaway pizza for dinner in a minute - with a voucher, of course! :money:

Have a good evening, all.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening all

Chicken - so sorry about the doggy and the rain. At least it seems as though the doggy didn't suffer too much. I always go into calm mode in a crisis too - it's quite handy.
    Purple Kitten - hugs to you
    Fuddle - how did the recipe turn out?

Todays

1. More "Killing" - I have to say they are bliddy pants detectives, charging in like bulls in china shops. Enjoying the series though
    2. Lunch with friends
    3. Washing coming in off line almost dry
    4. my new halogen oven arrived :T Cooked my first meal in it - and didn't like it :( The fault of the thing cooked rather than the oven though - faggots en croute from the butcher. I shan't have them again. Excited about the possibilities of the oven
    5. Archers in a minute while I tidy up the kitchen, and - ooooooh Lilian.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hugs to chicken and pk
    Happy st andrews day to mchags
    Been crying a lot this week. Really not lookingforward to the c word so will do my best to get to 5
    1) went to really good training day
    2) managed to get abstract in by 5 phew (note to self dont leavethings to last minute in future- date stamp was 17:00!
    3) found 22p and road kill jar now at £40
    4) had nice drink with friends who put up with me being miserable
    5) walked home and bus didnt overtake me till i was at stop before mine (it's a mile)
    6) friend emailed to say he has a spare ticket to livefrom the met masked ball next saturday
    7) hooray i have got to more than 5
    8) all you lovely people sharing your thoughts
    9) i love my house -it feels friendly (i was worried with the marriage break up i wouldnt find it homely)
    10) lunch was free with the course so another mse plus
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    (((((hugs))))dd
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Chicken - I think I might actually be watching I'm a Celebrity just for David Haye! Sorry to hear about Miss Barker. I liked getting updates about her and always hoped that was her name in real life.

PK - sorry to hear about your dad.

Here are my pleasures for today.

1) Not a bad sleep, though a bit chilly. Had all hot water bottles in action.

2) Sons off to school happily.

3) Went for a pub lunch with mum and dad.

4) Brought some logs in. Don't think I will be getting logs from this chap again (lovely though he was) - they're absolutely saturated and, on the log stack under tarpaulins, they're going mouldy! Anyway, brought a stack in and they are either side of the stove in the inglenook so if they don't dry out there, I don't know what to do with them.

5) Went swimming with sons and my brother. At new school, smaller son goes swimming (they take them to a local high school). He has only been 3 times but says they have a proper swimming instructor rather than one of their teachers. Well, I taught him to swim 5 years ago and he can dive, swim to the bottom of the deep end etc but could never master backstroke. Whoever the teacher is, they have managed to teach him! OK, both his arms circle at the same time but he was moving and seems to have more stamina. After half an hour of jumping in etc, he swam 17 lengths!

6) On the pavement in front of the cottages, smaller son and I found a very brightly coloured bird. (So bright at first I thought it was a chocolate wrapper). It is a goldfinch and is now in a shoe box on the piano. I put some seeds in for him and will wait til the boys are asleep and it is dark before I sneak in a little bowl of water. Obviously, this will only count as a pleasure if he picks up overnight with the warmth and rest and we can watch him fly off tomorrow.

7) Smaller son got 21 out of 21 for behaviour again and a toy from the treat box. (I didn't realise the treat box is for 5 days of having your bag, uniform and book bag and looking smart. Pleased to say he has had a treat every Friday!)

8) Made a very nice curry for tea plus rice and naans. It might be cheating but I'm sticking with a couple of tablespoons of Patak's curry paste.

9) Looking forward to I'm a Celebrity.

10) Not too late a night and I shall listen to the Now Show when I get to bed.
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Evening

Frith - Loving hearing of son's progress so nice to hear.
    DD/PK - Hugs to you both

Pleasures for today,
    1. It's Friday :j work has been very frustrating this week and glad it is over. Hopefully will go back on Monday with renewed patience.
    2. Washing just about line dried
    3. Some beef in the slow cooker this morning with 5 spice and soy sauce. Added to veg and noodles when I got in to make a yummy beef chow mein. Followed by frozed grapes for pudding.
    4. Another NSD
    5. Looking forward to a quiet weekend where I hope to sort out what christmas presents I have and see what else needs getting which is hopefully not much.

Hugs to all who need them
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I hope Broomstick is busy getting her home back to normal and didn't get flooded.
    Thanks, yes, we are back down to Flood Alert and haven't been flooded so, although we haven't put the big furniture back downstairs, we've restored some of the less important items back to normal.

Life has just been feeling very busy and I've been running to catch up with myself.

Some pleasures for today though:

1. The diet has slipped a bit but, despite that, I have managed to reach the 10-pounds-off-by-the-end-of-the-month goal that I'd set myself. :T I'm going to try for 4 more pounds by the end of December.

2. The sunsets over the last couple of days have been beautiful.

3. I had a brainwave about how to make our sitting room/my work room stone floor warmer. We can't have carpet or big heavy rugs because of flooding so I have 'carpeted' it in old duvets with plain covers on. It looks very silly but it's so much warmer and if it has to get moved in a hurry it will be easy. I have one more duvet to wash and dry and find a cover for then most of the room will be fully furnished! We have to be without shoes in order to keep it clean but that's no problem.

4. Really enjoyed spending a bit of time with my favourite two year old this afternoon.

5. I was sitting eating poached eggs and mushrooms for brunch in the sports centre cafe today :) and ended up chatting to an older woman (sports administrator) who is advertising for an assistant next week. I might just fit the job. Took me completely by surprise and, even if I don't go for it, it cheered me up no end to think that there might still be jobs out there that might fit me!

Big (((((hugs))))) to everyone that needs them.

Sweet dreams

B x
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 November 2012 at 11:36PM
    You're absolutely right Chicken everyone here is so lovely, and understanding :)
    PK I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with your Dad. Wishing you well, make sure you get some rest as and when you can
    Kittikins I don't remember how old your DD is but perhaps a cotton reel for French knitting? Or a mobile phone ornament (the dangly thing, don't know what they're called), a make a scrunchy kit, or an old fashioned game like Fives? I can't think of what to get my own DGC so my brain isn't in fully operational mode!
    mcculloch sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your DGC. They're so special aren't they?
    CCP I empathise, I don't do cold and hate it making me worried to go out cos it doesn't help my breathing (some would say that's not a bad thing :D). What a lovely complement from a Mum to say her daughter is a good cook :)
    VJsmum I can't believe the Archers is still running, I listened to it with my Grandma when I was about 8/9 years old. Yes, it's been running that long! Enjoy your new cooker :)
    Hugs (((DD))), you're doing so well and tears are permissible, especially at this time of year when a lot of people feel sentimental.
    Frith it's just so refreshing to read about younger son, you must be feeling a huge sense of relief. God knows you deserve to after all you've been through with such incompetent people
    Tealady sorry you had a stressy week, hope you can have a relaxing weekend.

eta Broomstick re your flooring, what a clever idea! Bet Mrs Moneypenny would never think of that :p. Will you go for the job? It sounds just right, certainly worth a look

1. Reiterating what others have said, this is such a lovely place, with such thoughtful people. Thank you :)
    2. Overcoming a difficult situation partly helped by you all wishing me well. I can now look back and feel pity for those involved, and most importantly learn from it.
    3. Having an otherwise uneventful week, no bad thing as I don't have a free day next week with family visiting me and me them, best of all DGD1 almost 21 and DGS1 18 here for lunch one day :D
    4. Hearing from a friend that she and her family are moving nearer to me in the NY
    5. Made a batch of mulligatawny soup, not made it before and it's turned out rather well. Nice and hot so it will keep me warm on the coldest days

Sweet dreams :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport