Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Comments

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This one not big enough then ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4931730

Mods can you merge threads please.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Teahfc wrote: »
    This one not big enough then ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4931730

Mods can you merge threads please.

Noted, but:

1 This isn't exactly the most visible of threads (search didn't bring it up) and it doesn't get many posts.

2 The idea was to create a separate thread just for Heron, because it has nothing whatever to do with Farmfoods and operates on an entirely different business model, unlike Aldi and Lidl, which do share a thread.

3 Heron has a lot of short-term short-dated items which frequently appear on HUKD but rarely on MSE. This is an attempt to improve that for members of MSE who don't happen to belong to HUKD.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Thanks Doc. I set up the thread and included Farmfoods only because Heron Foods aren't a national company. I never visit Farmfoods myself.
    Anyway, I was in Heron today...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Today's visit to my local Heron Foods (County Durham) brought up a raft of post Christmas bargains.
    Chiller
    Big bargain that I spotted was twin packs of ready rolled JusRol puff and shortcrust pastry for 60p.
    These will freeze, please note and although it says 'use in a month', I've used January buys at Easter before now.

500g packs of dairy and gluten free spread 59p.

The cooking bacon is back! A kilo of mis-shapes for £1.29

Lots of Seriously Strong Cheese Spreads, 99p I think

Butternut and Red Pepper soup pouches 50p

RTD Emmi coffees 39p each or 3 for a quid

Lots of lovely speciality sliced meats -chorizo, pancetta, serrano ham for around a quid.

200g President Brie 69p

250g Camembert £1.

Quorn Chilli and Lemon Sliced Fillets 160g 69p
    The usual suspects - £1 meatballs, gammon steaks, wide range of cheeses including some speciality truckles.

Dry goods
    Now includes a widening range of toiletries and cleaning items, plus paracetamol, ibuprofen and loperamide (Imodium).

225g Planters fruit and nuts 39p , 3 for a £1.

Belvita biscuits 8 pack choc & hazelnut 99p

Knorr pastes - curry, mushroom risotto, Spanish paella 46g 39p

Jaffa Cake blondies pack of 4 for 99p

Parsons' Cockles £1.39 a jar. Mussels 89p

Freezer.
    Usual Xsell goodies - cod fillets, £1.50, deep pan pizzas £1
    Ready cooked Pork Ribsteaks, 10 for 8, £1.50.
    Chicken Tikka pieces £1.50 (or £1, can't remember)
    Big 750g bags mushy peas, under £1, not sure of price

Chicken Tikka, Pulled Pork, Italian Meatball wraps 75p

Big bags Quorn mince £2.50
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 9 January 2018 at 5:53AM
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Noted, but:

1 This isn't exactly the most visible of threads (search didn't bring it up) and it doesn't get many posts.

2 The idea was to create a separate thread just for Heron, because it has nothing whatever to do with Farmfoods and operates on an entirely different business model, unlike Aldi and Lidl, which do share a thread.

3 Heron has a lot of short-term short-dated items which frequently appear on HUKD but rarely on MSE. This is an attempt to improve that for members of MSE who don't happen to belong to HUKD.

As per our PM.
    If they are 2 totally different companies who operate entirely different then feel free to open 2 threads. One for Heron and one for Farmfoods.

Once both threads are open, this one can be closed.

I know you are the OP of the original thread so I hope thats ok with you mcculloch ?, any probs/thoughts, pop me a pm.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    As per our PM.
    If they are 2 totally different companies who operate entirely different then feel free to open 2 threads. One for Heron and one for Farmfoods.

Once both threads are open, this one can be closed.

I know you are the OP of the original thread so I hope thats ok with you mcculloch ?, any probs/thoughts, pop me a pm.

Aw, I liked my thread and was proud of it, but Doc N is a trusted poster over on the Aldi and Lidl thread. Which oddly, enough are two separate companies, but never mind...!
    However, I don’t go in Farmfoods, so if someone wants to start a separate Farmfoods thread, feel free!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 9 January 2018 at 6:07AM
    Aw, I liked my thread and was proud of it, but Doc N is a trusted poster over on the Aldi and Lidl thread. Which oddly, enough are two separate companies, but never mind...!
    However, I don’t go in Farmfoods, so if someone wants to start a separate Farmfoods thread, feel free!

Aw bless you!

Keep this thread and change the title to Heron Foods and then a new farm foods one can be opened? xx

I dont have either shop anywhere near me so I have never viewed this thread until now and I cam see that you actually started it as Heron and only added farm foods as they are national (although I have never heard of them) and you have put lots of effort into keeping it up to date.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    I'd be more than happy to see this thread stay as it is, but devoted solely to Heron - particularly as Heron is now owned by B&M and likely to have a greater presence.

I know Farmfoods, but they tend not to have the same sort of short-dated, big discount deals that Heron have. If somebody wants to set up a separate thread for them..........

My interest is just in seeing Heron on MSE getting the same sort of attention as it does on HUKD. No personal axe to grind (if only!) - just felt it deserves more attention.

Thanks, Sarah and McCulloch - and a great list of offers McCulloch! :)
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'd be more than happy to see this thread stay as it is, but devoted solely to Heron - particularly as Heron is now owned by B&M and likely to have a greater presence.

I know Farmfoods, but they tend not to have the same sort of short-dated, big discount deals that Heron have. If somebody wants to set up a separate thread for them..........

My interest is just in seeing Heron on MSE getting the same sort of attention as it does on HUKD. No personal axe to grind (if only!) - just felt it deserves more attention.

Thanks, Sarah and McCulloch - and a great list of offers McCulloch! :)
    Thank you so much, Doc. :)
    I couldn't agree more about Heron deserving more attention. They sell good quality goods, if you see a brand name in my fridge or freezer you can bet your bottom dollar it came from Heron, and for up to a quarter of the price it would be in Mr's T, As, Sains, Morri or Wtrse. A!di does compete well for Heron's Quorn prices, but that's an exception, rather than the rule.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Couldn't agree more. Any more posts in this thread would be very much welcomed.

Sorry to have stirred up such a hornets' nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure