Windows 7 Folder "Date Modified"

If I open a Word or Excel file, read it, then close it without modifying or saving anything, why would the folder that contains it get updated with a new "date modified" time? The "date modified" on the file itself doesn't change. I expected that the folder is only "modified" if the name or number of the files it contains change.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because the folder has been modified by a temporary file being added that is created by word/excel when you open a doc or spreadsheet. When you then close the doc/ spreadsheet the temp file is deleted
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Because the folder has been modified by a temporary file being added that is created by word/excel when you open a doc or spreadsheet. When you then close the doc/ spreadsheet the temp file is deleted

^^ This

BUT it also happens when a folder contains images, where Win7 creates an invisible thumbnails file inside the directory, thus changing the modified date of the folder.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    There is a very old technical article written by the author of a file copy program about Windows use of file dates and times which is still worth a read...
  • Thanks all, I'm surprised that I've only just noticed it! I wondered if it might be because a virus was getting in when I opened the file.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There used to be software available a while back (can't remember what it was called) that allowed you to set the date and time of when a folder was last modified but I couldn't say if there is something similar around today as I haven't had need to use it.
  • John_Gray
    You're probably thinking of FolderTimeUpdate for multiple folders, from Nir Sofer, which updates the folder's Modified timestamp to the same as the newest file contained in it.

Or, in a BATch file, for a single folder:
    :: change the timestamp of a folder to the current date and time
    set fn=x:\folder_name
    type nul>"%fn%\$dummy$" & del "%fn%\$dummy$"
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Lock file and thumbs.db (Both hidden by default) are being modified by the system
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I hate those thumbs.db! Whenever I do a back-up to my external drive, I get a failure - imagine the first time that happened! 43 fails with over 1,000 passes. I eventually tracked it down to the software trying to back up the thumbs.db's (access denied). I know why they are there - to facilitate icons with previews of pictures and as I do a lot of photography (Photoshop) work it is a boon to able able to see what the .jpg's are - although of course Photoshop files don't have a preview.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    I hate those thumbs.db! .

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    ExplorerAdvanced
    set DisableThumbnailCache to 1
  • John_Gray
    Andy: you might need to point out, if in the key
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    the value
    DisableThumbnailCache
    is not present, it would be necessary to set this value up as a REG_DWRD with a value of 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure