Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grampus wrote: »
    Filled in all the forms my wife and I signed form, letter back from tax office, told need to be born before 1935 to transfer part of MA

It's after 5/4/1935. If either of you were born before this date you have always been entitled to Married Couple's Allowance.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • I-W
    I-W Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you do if both are PAYE but won't know for certain if eligible until the end of the tax year? Will we be able to retrospective claim next tax year?

In our case this is due to OH being between jobs at moment (currently well below 10600) and myself being on cusp of higher rate tax (depending on overtime). Sure many people must be in position of being unsure if eligible.
  • zygurat789
    Options
    awindup wrote: »
    if you are friendly with your ex but, as are my wife and I, are still married is it possible to use your allowance to allow your ex patent the smoothly to use the extra cash for the benefit of our son's wellbeing? He lives in between two houses and we have a cordial yet definitely separate relationship ! there is no chance of us getting back together however there is little chance that we will divorce at this current time D2 the expense and lack of need. I suffer with quite severe health problems and the cost of the divorce + making a will are prohibitive for me. although she has a great job it is only fair can I contribute where and when I can and as I am Now unable to work completely and on benefits I do not pay any tax. what are the rules regardless of being separated and are they different if I do not have a job and therefore although I'm a taxpayer if I get any interest on bank accounts etc does the fact that I don't have an earned income make a difference?

AFAIK the legislation does not preclude this
  • zygurat789
    Options
    I-W wrote: »
    What do you do if both are PAYE but won't know for certain if eligible until the end of the tax year? Will we be able to retrospective claim next tax year?

In our case this is due to OH being between jobs at moment (currently well below 10600) and myself being on cusp of higher rate tax (depending on overtime). Sure many people must be in position of being unsure if eligible.

You have always been able to settle your affairs after the end of the year, in fact, everyone who submits a tax return does.
  • ThelmaLouise
    Options
    Husband spent the morning (not joking) trying to get Post office to verify him (no luck) then Experian (Horaay it worked) to agree who he was!!!! Then was transferred back to the Gov site for the simple task of entering NI numbers and my name so I could have some of his tax allowance. Guess what HMRC doesn't know who I am now - been paying tax for over 40 years, wonder where that's been going! What do we do next it just says that he should check my details again! Any ideas please.
  • zygurat789
    Options
    Husband spent the morning (not joking) trying to get Post office to verify him (no luck) then Experian (Horaay it worked) to agree who he was!!!! Then was transferred back to the Gov site for the simple task of entering NI numbers and my name so I could have some of his tax allowance. Guess what HMRC doesn't know who I am now - been paying tax for over 40 years, wonder where that's been going! What do we do next it just says that he should check my details again! Any ideas please.

Your 2014/15 P60 should have all the details necessary.
    Name, tax reference NI number
  • ThelmaLouise
    Options
    Its only asking for my name and NI number which I took from tax forms but it says it doesn't recognise them! Which number should I ring, any ideas please?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MA is married couples allowance which is for those born before 6 AprilL 1935.

Marriage Allownce is available to those born after that date who meet the eligibility requirements.

You need to register online to apply for this

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  • zygurat789
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    MA is married couples allowance which is for those born before 6 AprilL 1935.

Marriage Allownce is available to those born after that date who meet the eligibility requirements.

You need to register online to apply for this

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

It is usually abbreviated to MCA and applies where either spouse was born before 6/04/1935.
    Marriage Allowance is usually abbreviated to MA
  • bigk
    bigk Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Why don't you contact HMRC. I know it's a pain but the system would not verify us so we rung HMRC at 8am and got through in 5 minutes. All the lady wanted was both our NI numbers and that was it. That was last Tuesday and this morning we received a new tax code in the post. Job done!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback