What to think when buying shares.

Comments

• cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,334
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Editor wrote:
    WARNING: This site is not a regulated investment site, please do not discuss any individual shares, investment or stock picking. In the article linked to above a range of sites which do welcome those kind of discussions are linked to.

Just as a point of information Moderators, it's not a requirement to be regulated to discuss shares and investments. The Motley Fool is definitely not regulated and AFAIK neither is ADVFN.

It will be a bit difficult to talk about pensions or ISAs or SIPPs if you can't discuss investments, which include all funds, and gilts, and even property, of course.;)

I'm with Editor on this one. There is no reason to be afraid of discussing individual shares or even specific collective investments. For copyright reasons I won't reproduce the contents here but moderators might like to look at this post by a TMF staffer regarding share discussions -

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9309924

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,955
    Forumite
    Just to say, I was just repeating a previous statement- I don't know why its not allowed on these boards - interesting post on TMF, but suppose its up to each site owner what they want.

Perhaps MSE don't want the hassle of "moderating"

Notice someone got fined £15K recently , in connection ( have not read it all- not sure of all facts) with posts on ADVFN
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Notice someone got fined £15K recently , in connection ( have not read it all- not sure of all facts) with posts on ADVFN

Yes, here's the FSA report on the case: it was the poster not the site that was fined, for insider trading.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2005/024.shtml

MSE shouldn't be worried about this IMHO, the current moderator level is quite adequate.But of course the site should make certain it's comfortable with the rules.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    OK let me put it this way. I dont want this site to be a share tipping site or an investment site. There are many great chat forums to that (i link to them in the article). The idea of regulating (ie us regulating) what is share pumping and what isn't and policing it - simply isn't somewhere i'd like this site to go.

martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Stick to sector leaders - big cap stocks !

Don't make the mistake I made !

A few years back I bought Morrisons instead of Tescos cos I thought Morrisions would catch up and pass Tescos ! NEVER HAPPENED !

Morrisons sunk... tesco took off ........

So stick to the big cap market leaders in the sector your looking to invest in !
  • deemy2004
    Editor wrote:
    United Utilities 7.2% water company

UU my biggest single holdling - reporting today.. fingers crossed... :D
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,955
    Forumite
    Editor wrote:
    Yes, here's the FSA report on the case: it was the poster not the site that was fined, for insider trading.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2005/024.shtml

MSE shouldn't be worried about this IMHO, the current moderator level is quite adequate.But of course the site should make certain it's comfortable with the rules.

yes but sure that Martin does not want to provide a vehicle for people like these
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Although I think it's a pity not to discuss direct share investment - cutting out the middleman here is a great way of moneysaving - it's obviously up to Martin to decide the direction of his site.

So here's a link to the relevant discussion board at the Fool covering the easy to understand HYP strategy I outlined above for those interested. There's an excellent FAQ there which gives more details of how to go about it.

Note to Deemy: and some good news for you (and me) too :)
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • deemy2004
    Very nice 6.6% dividend on current prices...

People will always need water.... :D
  • ReportInvestor
    ReportInvestor Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    I dont want this site to be a share tipping site or an investment site.
    I appreciate your concerns about share tipping. I don't see any signs of it here and it would be easy to stop if it ever started.

As for investment, your readers ask hundreds of investment questions that matter to them [in property, pensions, savings, ISAs etc. etc.], and receive thousands of helpful replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure