Taking in foreign exchange students... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• nicter
    nicter Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just a word of warning here. Some years ago my SIL took in a male french teenage student who abused her 5 year old daughter .... Im sure this is extremely rare but just be careful.
  • MemmaJ
    MemmaJ Posts: 40 Forumite
    Myself and my ex-partner hosted foreign students from a local independant school for a while - I was 18 and he was 28.

The majority were fine - our first one was a more 'mature' male student, who was very curteous and friendly.
    However we did have a few problems with some of the younger ones and stopped doing it in the end.
    We had a French girl who told the school we had locked her in the house and she had to climb out a window... It transpired that she'd been turning her key the wrong way in the front door, and that's why she couldn't get it to open.
    We had a couple of teenage boys (can't remember where they were from ) who got arrested for fighting in the town centre one evening. The same boys also wouldn't leave me alone one day when I was in bed ill with severe sickness at the beginning of my pregnancy, and that's when I knew we couldn't do it any more.

However, the money was good and I think we were just unlucky, as I know a few other people who act as Hosts and have never really had any problems.
  • I host "long term" AS level exchange students - full school year with Speak Exchange UK, have done for 8 years.

Have had some great kids - brilliant with my 2 monsters...only issues we've had have been the usual teenagers pushing their luck with parents stuff, never lasts...but the Mentors are great and there to advise and support all the way through!
    Unlike 1 company I previously used, we choose our students and can have 1 or 2 at a time too. Some really smart, fun, appreciative kids.
    It also gives you an excuse to be as cheesey as you want with the "typically" English stuff like Christmas...or go "modern english" too

:T
  • Hi,

I have been hosting students from Europe and have to say have really enjoyed it, currently have a student from Italy.

My family find it very rewarding and its great to learn about the different cultures we have in the world.

We have had great support from the Area Rep who is always on hand to answer any questions.

There are loads of different companies out there to choose from, I looked at quite a few before deciding to go with Interstudies, and as I said have no regrets.:T
  • blondy24
    blondy24 Posts: 702 Forumite
    Quick Question - Can you do this whilst you are renting a property? I would guess not but worth asking.

Thanks
  • Does anyone know of any organisations that require host families in Bourne Lincolnshire?
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    AMILLIONDOLLARS Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just started to do this!

last week had two teachers for 3 days, roughly £90 for the week, this week it will be two students for slightly less. Finding it much better than doing a mystery shop:rotfl:and a lot more profitable!!

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • blondy24
    blondy24 Posts: 702 Forumite
    Can you do this if you rent or do you have to own your own property?

Thanks x
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    blondy24 wrote: »
    Can you do this if you rent or do you have to own your own property?

Thanks x

If you have the room, I don't see why not. You don't have to ask your landlords permission if you have friends staying over so why would this be different? The money you receive is little more than board money.

Of course you would be responsible to the landlord if any damage was caused to the property.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hi,

i currently live in the north east of england, im 25 and have recently bought a 3 bedroom house.
    due to funding restrictions, i am now looking at hopefully utilising my spare bedroom and earning some extra money.
    i am just wondering what is the quickest / easiest way to go about this.

thanks,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport