sticky paint

At the beginning of the week I bought a good brand of Gloss paint, used it straight away and 4 days later am still waiting for it to dry. I rang the Customer Advice No on the tin and was told to send in a sample and wait 7-14 days for the result, probably a voucher to replace the can. Meanwhile they suggested I wash off the sticky paint with white spirit. I am understandably frustrated as this all takes more time, effort and mess. Can I expect compensation for the upset this is causing? :(

Comments

• jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 746
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Any hints to what brand paint,and was it solvent based,also you will find that most oil paints take a lot longer to dry since we went 2010 compliant.Is it actually wet or sticky and what surface did you put it on.
  • Not sure if we can name and shame but think of the dog that advertises it! It is Once Gloss - Brilliant white, painted on skirting boards and wooden door and frame - all painted before! It is still wet, touch it and it comes off on your finger - or clothes!! I tried painting some on card both thin layer and a thick layer as they suggested but they are still wet too. My problem is how do I clean it all off so that I can repaint with a different gloss, should I expect compensation for the mess and upset it is causing? I have done lots of decorating with no such problems so convinced that it is not my fault!
  • jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 746
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 23 February 2013 at 6:38PM
    Sounds very much like faulty paint especially If its not drying on cardboard.Only way I would think to clean it off would be lots of rag soaked in white spirit,will make a mess but get what you can off let it dry and then rub down and repaint
  • imaginarynumber
    imaginarynumber Posts: 253 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2013 at 5:09PM
    Did you stir it before use?

Post 2010 I always add Rustins Terebene. It is an oxidiser that speeds up the curing.

You could always pick up some for a fiver and add a generous amount to the paint and apply it to a sample area. It should help both coats to cure.

EDIT just noticed the comment about the card- try to apply some of the terebene (neat) to the card or a section of the woodwork. It is purple but if it dries the paint it will be less messy than trying to remove the existing stuff.
  • No I didn't stir it - instructions on tin say not to. Looks like I have just got more hard work and mess ahead of me!! The paint is now less wet but still sticky. Where would I get Rustins Terebene?
    What I really want is for the manufacturer to come and sort it out for me!!! - or failing that a big bunch of flowers and £500 compensation would help me to smile again.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    your not getting compensation. You have probably painted it on too thick, gloss skins over then dries underneath it takes ages, especially in a cold or humid environment
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    your not getting compensation. You have probably painted it on too thick, gloss skins over then dries underneath it takes ages, especially in a cold or humid environment
    As it also does not dry on cardboard, putting it on too thick is not the cause.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • Teeka wrote: »
    No I didn't stir it - instructions on tin say not to. Looks like I have just got more hard work and mess ahead of me!! The paint is now less wet but still sticky. Where would I get Rustins Terebene?
    What I really want is for the manufacturer to come and sort it out for me!!! - or failing that a big bunch of flowers and £500 compensation would help me to smile again.
    any decent decorators merchant will sell it, not diy sheds though
    £500 compensation would help me to smile again.

Why £500 ?
    ...It is Once Gloss - Brilliant white,!

IMHO that's your problem... bet you bought it in B&Q or Homebase too....... I will never again buy paint in these places... always buy paint from a paint centre. They sell proper paint!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure