Toto energy massive price increase

mr_accountant
mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 13 December 2017 at 1:00PM in Energy
MoneySavingExpert.com Update 13 December 17:

Thank you for your posts everyone. We've updated our news story:

Back to mr_accountant's original post...

----

received email this morning regarding Toto Energy price increase, for me from £954 to £1170, thats £216 increase. im already moving as the customer services is pants (thats being very kind). for everyone else check your prices

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    received email this morning regarding Toto Energy price increase, for me from £954 to £1170, thats £216 increase. im already moving as the customer services is pants (thats being very kind). for everyone else check your prices

Based on what? You may be seeing the effect of the Ofgem-mandated cost methodology for customers coming to the end of a fixed term contract.
  • Same across the board. Electricity prices will go up 10% every year
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite

Same here .. a little confused as when I joined them on their Variable Saver tariff in April this year, thought that the price was guaranteed for 12 months. No mention of this in the email though.
  • The rate is a variable tariff so they can change, though it's a 12m contract, though only £20 to leave (for me are least) however on the email link toto say customers can leave for free within a given period.
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    The rate is a variable tariff so they can change, though it's a 12m contract, though only £20 to leave (for me are least) however on the email link toto say customers can leave for free within a given period.

Yes although it is a Variable Saver tariff having found the original Welcome Pack pdf with details it clearly gives a Price Guarantee date of 27 April 2018. I am seeking clarification from them.
  • System
    h1ubs wrote: »
    Same here .. a little confused as when I joined them on their Variable Saver tariff in April this year, thought that the price was guaranteed for 12 months. No mention of this in the email though.

Sorry, that is a contradiction in contract terms. There is no such thing as a fixed variable tariff in energy contracts. Fixed and variable tariffs are covered differently in Supply Licence Conditions. For example, if a variable tariff is increased, the supplier has to give consumers written notice of the increase.
  • I am the same as you, spoke to them this morning with difficulty they have no idea if our tariff is increasing. I said how can you increase a fixed tariff, he hasd no idea!
  • Hengus

I was told the variable bit refers to my monthly direct debit, it would increase if my energy estimates were inaccurate, I still have this in a Facebook message. The guy I spoke to said thar senior management were investigating but he had no idea if my tariff would increase, in fact he was as confused as me!

Dave
  • System
    Hengus

I was told the variable bit refers to my monthly direct debit, it would increase if my energy estimates were inaccurate, I still have this in a Facebook message. The guy I spoke to said thar senior management were investigating but he had no idea if my tariff would increase, in fact he was as confused as me!

Dave

Monthly DDs can change but suppliers have to give prior notice of all changes.

Standard variable tariffs can change. Notification of an increase in a variable tariff has to be given to the consumer.

Fixed tariffs cannot be changed during the agreed tariff term. That said, if a consumer breaches the contract terms, discounts can be removed from the daily standing charge.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    The rate is a variable tariff so they can change, though it's a 12m contract, though only £20 to leave (for me are least) however on the email link toto say customers can leave for free within a given period.

Hi Mr_Accountant

Would you mind sharing the email with us so we can check this out? The best place to send this to would be energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com

Toto has had a few variable tariffs with a fixed term discount which carried exit fees, but from your message it sounds like it may waive these.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport