The Money Diet

Comments

• Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congratulations on your wedding, and good luck with all your plans :)
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:14PM
    Today has been a spendy day. The OH decided he could not function without tea (we've not had any in the house for a week) so we walked down to small CoOp to get some and get some second class stamps whilst we were at it. Also got x2 reduced snack things and a bottle of pop. We then went for a little walk (about 30 mins) with the dog. I asked him how much he spent as it went from the joint account but he said he couldn't remember. I'm guesstimating £15 for now and will amend it when I can see how much on online banking. We have to go food shopping tomorrow but I'm hoping it won't cost too much as we still have quite a lot in the freeezer.

I've had a relaxing morning so far although I have a bit of a headache. The headache is not from drinking too much though, the bar/club we were in had really low lights that had these large, round metal shades around them. I banged my head on them 7 times getting up and down. Treated myself to a bath this morning before the heating starts as I have noticed that I have a lot less running hot water when the radiators are on.

To be honest, our boiler is rubbish. The heating doesn't kick in unless the thermostat is right up. It must be 15-20 years old. I'd like a combi boiler and remove the hot water tank out of the back bedroom but that's a job for later, when we have the funds do to do these kind of things. It's not broken yet so whilst it still works we will have to live with it.
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Thank you everyone who has commented so far. :)

Sunday 3 December

The OH told me it was too early to put the Christmas tree up and that I have to wait until double figures. Got a rant about how there are ‘12 days of Christmas’ not 31. So, next Sunday is the 10th and that’s double figures so it’s going up then whether he likes it or not. I’m still following his rules! He is such a Scruge!

Went food shopping today and brought selection boxes for my nieces/nephews. I can’t afford anything else so I hope they don’t mind too much. Still got presents to sort out for rest of the family and some will be coming out of our grocery budget so I have to keep a close eye on things.

I’ve brought the OH first present with some money I have left on my amazon account gift card. A personal (for 1) teapot, teacup and saucer set that all fits together. I’ve got a loose tea holder thing too as he suggested he might like some posh tea and teacup. It was under a £10 and came off a gift card I got for my insurance so it’s not like I’ve missed the money.

I’ve also been out in the garden to sweep up the mass of leaves. It looks a little better now, less messy, but will need a good sort end of winter to get it looking ready for spring. We haven’t done much to the garden and it’ll be nice to spend a little money on it next year.

Made a nice roast for dinner, chicken left over for dinner tomorrow. I made stuffing balls with sausage meat and Yorkshire puddings too which are now in the freezer. I must remember to sort out lunches before I go to bed and clean up what I can so it’s not a tip in the morning.

I’ve got that dreaded Sunday feeling where you know you have to get ready for work. I’ve only got 2.5 weeks left before I break up for Christmas though so not too long. I had ten days off during the wedding but it all went so quickly and I felt so busy it feels like I haven’t had any time off!
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Lauralozzle
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:16PM
    Monday 4th December

It has been a long day today and I'm not nearly finished! I’ve taken my laptop home tonight to finish off some work, but the moment I walked in my Mum called so it's put all my plans 40 minutes later. There is some good MSE news though, which I shall reveal.

My mum was originally going to get married in Greece, but she rang today to confirm she was getting married in July in Warwickshire. This will massively help the purse strings as we don't have (effectively) another holiday to book and staying over for two nights in a hotel will be much easier than flights and hotels and spending money. It will be at least £200 cheaper. Also, I don't have to find a way to stretch out my non existent holidays (which are spent up for our honeymoon) so it means I won't have to work stupid hours to build up a weeks worth of flexi. All in all I am very pleased with the news and it's making me feel much better about things financially.

Today I have managed a NSD. Ran out stock for chicken pie so improvised and used milk and thickened it up with flour (it was self raising flour though as I used all the plain flour yesterday!). It tasted fine, so my improvisation was a success.

Bank accounts are looking good but that’s to be expected as it's only the 4th of December!

I have a good list of things to do this evening though which I must do before I sit down and get comfy:

- allocate work out for tomorrow and send it Done
    - make lunch for tomorrow Done
    - clean kitchen if OH has not done it by 9:00PM and clean dining room so nice and tidy. Kitchen as tidy as I can be bothered to make it. I haven't touched the dining room though so that'll be a task for tomorrow I think

Then I will allow myself a bath with my kindle :)Didn't have time for a bath, but I did have a hot shower (as hot as I could take) which has relaxed me. Can't be bothered to dry my hair though so I'll have to tackle that in the morning!
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Lauralozzle
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:17PM
    Sunday 10th December

I!!!8217;m still here, plugging away, but I've been very tired throughout the week as I've had a long week at work. I have, however, built up an extra two hours of flexi time this week and I now have enough for a day off work. I think I will try to save it though for January as I would like my birthday off. If I can build about 14 hours (I!!!8217;m on 9.5 I think) I'll try and have the Monday and Tuesday off. :)

Budgets are looking okay. Joint budget/shopping is looking good. My personal budget is looking less happy as I've already dipped into next weeks budget so I will have to be very strict with myself. I have only managed 2 NSD (including today) so far so I need to pull some out of the bag.

My target this coming week is to clean a room a night so it doesn't feel like I'm spending all weekend cleaning the house.
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Well done on budgeting so well and glad you did not go massively into debt for your wedding.

As the cards are on 0% I can understand your DH not rushing to pay it off but personally I am with you and would rather get shot of it asap and get into the habit of saving for stuff asap. Initially an emergency fund, fund for your holidays and a house fund for eventually a new boiler and redecoration and any car expenses.

If you both put around £850 into your house fund you presumably both have around £350- £400 spare which has got to cover personal spends/holiday savings and debt repayments which is not a massive amount but better than some. Any chance of either of you upping your income?

You are doing brill anyway.

Also I am with your DH in that it is far too early for Christmas trees yet. Ours will go up next weekend probably.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Well done on budgeting so well and glad you did not go massively into debt for your wedding.

As the cards are on 0% I can understand your DH not rushing to pay it off but personally I am with you and would rather get shot of it asap and get into the habit of saving for stuff asap. Initially an emergency fund, fund for your holidays and a house fund for eventually a new boiler and redecoration and any car expenses.

If you both put around £850 into your house fund you presumably both have around £350- £400 spare which has got to cover personal spends/holiday savings and debt repayments which is not a massive amount but better than some. Any chance of either of you upping your income?

You are doing brill anyway.

Also I am with your DH in that it is far too early for Christmas trees yet. Ours will go up next weekend probably.

Thank you :)

I agree, I think the cards should be gone as soon as possible but I do understand where he is coming from because we spent a year feeling very poor because we were saving £400 a month which left no room for nice things for us.

I completely agree re the emergency fund. It was depleated last year and we haven’t built it up again. That is a massive priority for 2018. I’d like it at £1,000 and DH would like it to be at least £500, but thinks a target of £1,000 is unrealistic. I don’t think it is, although it might take some time to build it up again. We will know better how things stand at pay day as Christmas will be over and all of the associated spends will have been sorted. I’m going to try and budget a Christmas pot for next year - we didn’t have the stretch to do it this year but I see no reason why one cannot be sorted for 2018.

I wish we could earn more money! DH had a promotion a year ago which isn’t permanent yet (he is on a Temporary Responibility Allowance to account for the work he’s now doing) but if he gets this job on a permanent basis there will be another (albeit small) pay rise as the TRA only pays 10% higher at the moment.

I’m looking at other jobs but I am aware that although my job doesn’t pay that much, the flexibility I have is invaluable. I do not have set work hours (ie. 9-5) I can work from home, if I work over my hours I can claim my time back in Flexi time which basically means additional holidays. My job can be stressful at times but I’m worried the grass would not be greener on the other side and I’d miss the flexibility I have. We are not starting a family yet, but when we do, my current position would be ideal because it is flexible enough to accommodate childcare and I could request term-time/part time. They’re very big on having good home/work balance and really promote it which is the one most single thing I love about my job.

So any new job that pays more would have to have the same benefits, which would basically mean a promotion where I am now, rather than elsewhere.

I may have put my Christmas tree up when he was out this week!! Oops. :beer:
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • I’m really pleased with my efforts today. I can confirm that NSD too. I was supposed to go to my grandmothers today but we arranged it for next week because of the snow.

I’ve had a really productive day, although it’s felt very chilled, all at my own pace. No rushing.

I’ve managed to clear five loads of washing, not sure I can manage anymore because I’m trying to avoid using the tumble dryer and I’ve ran out of drying space! But five loads of washing is much better than what I would usually manage. I’ve cleaned the kitchen, made dinner, make tomorrow’s lunch using up some leftover bits from the fridge (pesto pasta with cucumber and tomatoes, apples and melon).

I will take breakfast to work with me tomorrow- porridge I think with some frozen berries and eat it at work.

I’ve also hoovered the house, and tonight I’ve relaxed in front of the fire.

I want to get into work early-ish tomorrow, the traffic has been horrible lately and it’s been taking me over 1.5 hours to get into work.
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Lauralozzle
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:18PM
    Monday 11th December

I did not want to get out of bed today! It was so cold this morning, lots of ice, snow stopped looking pretty and now resembles frozen sludge. Recipe for broken bones in my book!

I've had a good day at work, left early as I know tomorrow I will be leaving late. We did end up having a spendy day though as we've practically ran out of loo roll so on the way home went via Mr A and topped up. We also got some salad bits for lunches and some reduced bakery bits.

DH is making dinner so tonight I'm having a (fairly) relaxed evening although I need to make sure the following chores are sorted before bed:

- Clear Kitchen/wipe down surfaces Done
    - Make packed lunch Mostly Done - my !!!8216;Apple knife!!!8217; is in the dishwasher so will chop up my apple in the morning
    - Run dishwasher Done
    - Check what clothes have dried and put them away Done
    - Put one load of washing in Done - jeans are in now
    - Quick go over of living room/dining room to make sure it stays neat Done - I gave the fireplace a little hoover too!

I'm now exhausted and will soon be off to bed with my Kindle I think. I was finished by 9:30 PM :eek:
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Congrats on becoming a Mr & Mrs, I also have wedding debt and I got married 2 years ago - sob!

Good luck with your debt free journey :T
    £20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
    In the process of shedding 42lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills