Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• We were due to fly out with Monarch this afternoon on a package deal booked through teletext holidays, after hearing the news this morning I've managed to book alternative flights (at a higher cost of course), we booked on 9th January 2017 and have an ATOL certificate so I'm assuming that this means we're covered even though we booked after 15th December 2016......? Will we be reimbursed for the extra costs as well...? Any info appreciated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I booked my flights home with Amex. Called them first and a claim has been submitted with a quote of 6-8 weeks to get the money back.

No questions about how much were seats, how much were bags and extras etc etc etc

very happy and sooooo glad I bought back up flights on Saturday.

Feel desperately sorry for the Monarch staff. we are worried about going on holiday and they probably wont get one this year.
  • System
    Reason123 wrote: »
    Ive booked flights to direct with Monarch but luckily used a credit card so I now need Santander to give me my money back. I called them this morning and told me to send them an email with the details and I should get a reply with 8 weeks!

Basically they set up a 'payment dispute' and you will know in 6-8 weeks if they agree with the dispute. Of course they are going to agree and at that point the credit is applied to your card.

I booked my flights with Amex, but as Amex is a super smooth company to deal with I didn't need any emails etc, just a form they filled in with me over the phone. my time scale is also 6-8 weeks and Im Ok with that.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    JW1975 wrote: »
    That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home

Do you have a source for this?

Although that seems the intent of the CAA, I am not sure how they will distinguish those passengers who flew out before 2 october with Monarch from those who flew out with another airline since 2 October ie neither group will be on an outward monarch flight for which the CAA will have been given passenger lists.
    Unless the CAA can see on the list that it is the inbound part of a return flight rather than a single flight booking.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • System
    can you still get EU flight canx compo for the canx monarch flights?
  • silvercar wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this?

Although that seems the intent of the CAA, I am not sure how they will distinguish those passengers who flew out before 2 october with Monarch from those who flew out with another airline since 2 October ie neither group will be on an outward monarch flight for which the CAA will have been given passenger lists.
    Unless the CAA can see on the list that it is the inbound part of a return flight rather than a single flight booking.

This is what I'm struggling to understand. We have booked alternative return flights on the 8th (flying out on the 6th) but now it looks like we might get moved onto an alternative flight, meaning we can't try and make a chargeback claim. Only booked these flights this morning and can still cancel them as it's within 24 hours, incurring an admin fee, but won't find out today about the replacement flight. Going to try and call CAA for clarification but doubt I'll get through and don't really want to take resources away from those poor people stuck abroad. Grrrrrr.
  • In Portugal and due to fly back with Monarch on 16 Oct. CAA website says I'm not covered by repatriation flights. Yet on same website showing the list of flights from Faro to Birmingham 16 October is the last one shown. Any advice?
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    JW1975 wrote: »
    can you still get EU flight canx compo for the canx monarch flights?

No because this is paid out by the airline itself
  • Monarch Airlines has ceased trading and all its holidays and flights have been cancelled...
    Read the full story:
    'Monarch Airlines collapse - latest info and your rights'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If some assets are bought by other airlines, we may see some sort of concession if you had a Monarch booking and re-book.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure